Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Hey guys i just picked up Moore WCE Cyclone and am wondering if anyone has a good starting setup for 17.5/ blinky with rubber tires on a medium sized carpet track?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Geardiff

Hello... Thinking of getting a Cyclone TC and im wondering if theres any Geardiff that slides in between the bulkheads with no larger modifications. Does the Spec-R diff for TCX fit the TC??..
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gillblade
Hello... Thinking of getting a Cyclone TC and im wondering if theres any Geardiff that slides in between the bulkheads with no larger modifications. Does the Spec-R diff for TCX fit the TC??..
I ordered one of these Spec-R Diffs for my WCE, but I am not sure if it will fit, but according to some guys on the local track "You should only shim it!". So I am going to check it out when it arrives, and will post here.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gillblade
Originally Posted by vi4o
I ordered one of these Spec-R Diffs for my WCE, but I am not sure if it will fit, but according to some guys on the local track "You should only shim it!". So I am going to check it out when it arrives, and will post here.
yes...you CAN put the TCX gear diff in the cyclones and cyclones TC..I did it and posted pics a while ago (like march of this year)..

i used a TON and i mean a ton of shims to get it to center up properly - but the one thing is does need is new bulkhead bearings with a smaller inner diameter...because you are putting so many shims on the diff, the 'thicker' molder part of the diff (where the bearing in the TCX is supposed to sit) is covered by shims ...and the actual bulkhead bearings are out over the outdrive part of the diffs - I ran my TC with it, and it felt good, but there was also a ton of drag in the car since the diffs weren't riding on bearings

I never got a chance to measure the since bearings you'd actually need - but the need to be way smaller on the inner side..I think the stock ones are 12x10 -you might need a 12x8...

Sadly, I've since sold my TC, so I can't tell you exactly how many shims I had on either side of the pulley
Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
yes...you CAN put the TCX gear diff in the cyclones and cyclones TC..I did it and posted pics a while ago (like march of this year)..

i used a TON and i mean a ton of shims to get it to center up properly - but the one thing is does need is new bulkhead bearings with a smaller inner diameter...because you are putting so many shims on the diff, the 'thicker' molder part of the diff (where the bearing in the TCX is supposed to sit) is covered by shims ...and the actual bulkhead bearings are out over the outdrive part of the diffs - I ran my TC with it, and it felt good, but there was also a ton of drag in the car since the diffs weren't riding on bearings

I never got a chance to measure the since bearings you'd actually need - but the need to be way smaller on the inner side..I think the stock ones are 12x10 -you might need a 12x8...

Sadly, I've since sold my TC, so I can't tell you exactly how many shims I had on either side of the pulley
I thought that the distance between the bulkheads in the TCX is only 3mm smaller than the TC and WCE. WoW maybe it is better to machine new bearing holders which are wider but it woud be a tough job
Old 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Has anyone ever used these on there TC or WCE, if so how does it affect handling? What exactly do they do?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...orsion-Control
Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vi4o
I thought that the distance between the bulkheads in the TCX is only 3mm smaller than the TC and WCE. WoW maybe it is better to machine new bearing holders which are wider but it woud be a tough job
its actually more then that - i believe i had 20 .2 shims on each side..

the biggest thing to make it work is bearing - the bearing holders are fine, just get smaller inner diameter bearings...THAT's the ticket to make it all work
Old 10-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

I now own a dead-stock (as far as I can tell) cyclone tc, and am hoping to get back into racing with it. However, I can tell I need to change some things around to get it to work with Lipo as well as a Brushless setup.

I just ordered an exotek chassis to solve the lipo problem, but under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?

Also, what parts commonly break/go wrong on the cyclone tc? I wouldn't mind trying to find some spares to have kicking around, since I know this is a bit of an aging chassis.

Lastly, any recommendations for motor/esc/batteries for the cyclone for racing 17.5 lipo? I have been away from r/c for a long long time, so my knowledge is a little antiquated when looking at today's technology. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Hello everyone,

I now own a dead-stock (as far as I can tell) cyclone tc, and am hoping to get back into racing with it. However, I can tell I need to change some things around to get it to work with Lipo as well as a Brushless setup.

I just ordered an exotek chassis to solve the lipo problem, but under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?

Also, what parts commonly break/go wrong on the cyclone tc? I wouldn't mind trying to find some spares to have kicking around, since I know this is a bit of an aging chassis.

Lastly, any recommendations for motor/esc/batteries for the cyclone for racing 17.5 lipo? I have been away from r/c for a long long time, so my knowledge is a little antiquated when looking at today's technology. Thanks for any and all help!
A Cyclone S has been my main car for the last 2 seasons and the only parts I have ever had to replace are front hubs and diff/spool cups. Based on the way I drive, the car is pretty darn durable.

Parts availability has been a bit of a challenge recently so I just buy two of everything when they become available. You just have to hit the online stores and check on what is in stock from time to time.

Someone else will have to comment on the brushless motor mount. i have the stock one and can make FDR for blinky no prob.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Hello everyone,

You don't need the BL mount. You can get the correct gearing for Mod all the way down to Blinky 17.5 without it. Just have to switch between smaller spurs for spec and larger for mod.

For the TC I would have extra arms, steering blocks, c-hubs and rear hubs. Luckily, these parts are still used on the current TCX. If you want a-arms that will survive just about anything, pick up the standard Pro-4 arms. You lose a couple of extra shock tuning positions but gain lots of durability.

Reedy, Revtech, Thunder Power lipos are very good. Tekin RS, LRP SXX SS esc's are popular in the 17.5 classes. Especially boosted.

Reedy Sonic, Epic D3, SP MMM and LRP 17.5 motors are quite popular.

Hope I could help.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

under what circumstances do I need to use the BL motor mount? Some of the posts above state that the only difference is a slight change in height, so is it only required for certain gearing combinations?
You would only need the BL motor mount if you run Mod
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Hello everyone,

This is the first thing i would get. Even with the Extotek chassis getting lipos out is a pain in the butt. This upper deck makes changing out batteries so much easier.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Set
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

is there a place anywhere i can get the rtr of pro version still new?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike_d
This is the first thing i would get. Even with the Extotek chassis getting lipos out is a pain in the butt. This upper deck makes changing out batteries so much easier.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Set
I dont think its worth it for that amount. Also flex looks unequal on that upper deck. For lipos to fit you just need to dremel away 1.5- 2.0 mm under the middle bulkhead.

The HBX chassis is not bad. The flipped belt version allows to move your receiver and esc closer to the centerline. I also suggest running a lipo over 300grams to get it balanced.

The chassis has lots of flex. For prepped high bite track I had to run the 2.5mm upperdeck to compensate.

Just get a parma hard foam bumper. Never broke any front end parts since.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Guys..

Anybody know what is the difference between the Hot bodies Subaru body type A,B and C?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.