Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d.vanleen
Hey, sorry if I’m reviving a dead thread (looks like the last post was made in December). I’ve acquired a rs4 3 drift (mid engine rs4) in my thrift store rummaging. I’m not planing on running this as a drift car but as hpi doesn’t seem to be around anymore (I could be wrong) parts are harder to come by. Luckily I have a rs4 MT which most of the drive train parts are interchangeable. I was wondering if any parts from the sprint series might fit, mainly suspension components, mainly non-drift sprint parts like a arms, hubs and bells. From looking at the parts diagram/manual for the sprint, I think it’s doable. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this? Oh both or my rs4’s (3/Mt) are nitro, chassis/wheelbase width isn’t an issue for me.

thanks in advance.
This thread is for the HPI sprint 2 sport. You would have better luck in the Sport 3 thread.
HPI RS4 Sport 3
Or do you have a RS4-3 nitro car?
HPI RS4-3 Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d.vanleen
Hey, sorry if I’m reviving a dead thread (looks like the last post was made in December). I’ve acquired a rs4 3 drift (mid engine rs4) in my thrift store rummaging. I’m not planing on running this as a drift car but as hpi doesn’t seem to be around anymore (I could be wrong) parts are harder to come by. Luckily I have a rs4 MT which most of the drive train parts are interchangeable. I was wondering if any parts from the sprint series might fit, mainly suspension components, mainly non-drift sprint parts like a arms, hubs and bells. From looking at the parts diagram/manual for the sprint, I think it’s doable. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this? Oh both or my rs4’s (3/Mt) are nitro, chassis/wheelbase width isn’t an issue for me.

thanks in advance.
sprint parts are not compatible with the rs4 3 drift series. look for rs4, rs4 2, rs4 3, rs4 3 evo parts
Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone know how much these one way differentials cost brand new? Or what they are worth now that they are no longer making them? I have one sitting in a drawer and didn't know if it would be worth my time to sell. TIA. Part #86042 FRONT ONE-WAY DIFFERENTIAL 32T (SPRINT 2) https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86042
Old 04-15-2020, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Sprint2 - SPX Pro Chassis Set

Hey guys n gals just picked up one of these just last month and have been an HPI customer for awhile but never much into the on road scene... until now =). Anyways great thread here, anyone know what ever happened to the OP?

Also my other reason for posting is that I seen that Exotek used to make this for the Sprint:

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=10052

Sprint2 - SPX Pro Chassis Set p/n 1164
I'm sure most of you are familiar or know of this or similar products after much searching and coming to the conclusion that these are no longer available I decided to take a shot and email Exotek to inquire about this, here's the exchange....
Subject: sprint chassis (Exotek Racing SPX PRO Carbon Fiber Chassis
Conversion Set HPI Sprint 2 Car #1164 )
Date: Mon, March 30, 2020 9:46 pm
To: [email protected]

Hello,
Is there any way to order or will you guys be making another run of these chassis??
Exotek Racing SPX PRO Carbon Fiber Chassis Conversion Set HPI Sprint 2 Car #1164
Also if I were to get enough interest for an order would that make a difference?
Regards,

RESPONSE
Hi Sir!

No plans for it. It would take an order of 20 sets to be able to remake them.

Thanks for your support,
Mike Rydwell

EXOTEK RACING
17155 Von Karman Ave. #104
Irvine, CA 92614 USA

So with that said, is anyone interested? I am currently waiting on reply for order cost to then proceed from there so if we can get 20 orders in looks like they would be willing to fire up the jigs on this once more lol

Also would like to say if there is anyone out there that has personal experience with this product Pro/cons and for whatever recommend against it then I can move on from there as well if it;s not worth it.

Let's keep this thread going...
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I used to be a die hard HPI guy. So it pains me to say that when then spun all their pro products into HotBodies, HPI became a basher company. You can throw all the parts at a Sprint you want and it still won't compete with a modern Touring car such as an XRAY, serpent or Awesomatix. My buddy and I both had HPI's. (He had a Sprint2 and I had a Sport3). We were bashers, but wanted to try the track. We looked into all the upgrades we would need and the cost of the upgrades alone, would be close or exceeding that of a used XRAY T4. I found a T4'16 (the '19s were current). for 150. It was night and day better than the HPIs. The HPIs are fine for bashing, but for the track they just won't cut it. If you are just bashing the carbon chassis is pointless. You are much better off putting your $90 towards a modern TC if you want to go to the track.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

FWIW you can still get carbon chassis from YeahRacing.

Amazon Amazon

More YR HPI upgrades:
Yeahracing.com - Your reliable business partner

Old 04-18-2020, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
FWIW you can still get carbon chassis from YeahRacing.
Not that I wouldn't ever or have not purchased from yeah or similar they have alot of nice looking upgrades not sure how well they perform but that's for another topic.... but if I can get this chassis from US made Co. and keep a few bucks over here, I'm all for it. Not to mention the fact that it looks 10x better than the YR set and given the fact I've used their product for my buggies/SCT I know it's top notch.

BTW, found these guys on ebay out of Germany, might consider them...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Carbon-C...U/254084744775

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I used to be a die hard HPI guy. So it pains me to say that when then spun all their pro products into HotBodies, HPI became a basher company. You can throw all the parts at a Sprint you want and it still won't compete with a modern Touring car such as an XRAY, serpent or Awesomatix. My buddy and I both had HPI's. (He had a Sprint2 and I had a Sport3). We were bashers, but wanted to try the track. We looked into all the upgrades we would need and the cost of the upgrades alone, would be close or exceeding that of a used XRAY T4. I found a T4'16 (the '19s were current). for 150. It was night and day better than the HPIs. The HPIs are fine for bashing, but for the track they just won't cut it. If you are just bashing the carbon chassis is pointless. You are much better off putting your $90 towards a modern TC if you want to go to the track.
Well, talk about an RC Buzzkill! LOL j/k hahaha look man I get it, I'm 47 yrs old been there done that in other aspects myself, in regards to the Sprint yea I know I'm coming late to the party...real late. But hey if I gotta dance by myself then so be it. Although I have yet to read the whole thread from just reading the first few pages the OP, you and a few others was all based on that premise. I used to race my savage was competitive, raced the RS4 although it was a unicorn category (4wd stadium truck) when I raced competitive.. still race the blitz, right there with the big dogs. Do i race week in week out ? No. I guess there's something about the challenge (for me at least) of tweaking a product figuring things out and lke the OP said peeing on the big trees from time to time that intrigues me Don't get me wrong RC racing in general is like that but the pro kits the the racer buys has alot of that stuff all figured out and then you just tune to your style. Real life racing especially the early years was just like this thread anyways I think we made our points and I dont want to ramble ... so with my virtual RC toga outfit on....

WHO"S WITH ME!!??
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

OK so exotek replied to my last message if I were to get 20 orders in would be @ $90 per set not sure if that includes shipping/taxes or not but at least price is what was previously being sold for and we have something to start with.

I may have someone local to join on the order so I'll just say 2 down and 18 to go!!!

Some inspiration shots, these are the 2 sprints I recently bought....

I'll have better ones of the Falken Porsche shortly
Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

As I understand there are no factory sway bar kits available so I kitbashed a few for both of my S2's.

Pics would be here but I am new here so not allowed to post just yet. After a good think on the problem our solution was to order about six different products and kits that we could find. It's a good thing we did, as we ended up borrowing parts from each kit to make it work. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure we ordered parts and pieces for a Traxxas Jato (front and rear), Team Associated (rod ends, ball bearings, drop links), and HotRacing anti-roll bar kits (Axial Wraith....i think). After figuring out what worked for one car we figured it was just a case of copy and paste for the other rig. Not so..... The problem was one car has stock "A"arms and spindles whilst the other rig has been kitted out with all Aluminum "A" arms, C-blocks, and Tire bearing spindles from AsiaTees. The fancy aluminum bling parts have far less options to bolt on different bits AND the threads in the holes are different so different hardware solutions are a challenge to figure out. Pics would be better to show but I cant do that yet. Good luck dude.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow. It's been a long time since my Sprints looked like that. It ain't the years....It's the MILES.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 AM
Tech Rookie

If you just want to get rid of the stock bushings and throw on some regular bearings:

Duratrax Pno: DTXC1523 (5 x 8mm)

These are the same small bearings (x2) that go on the out-drives for the differentials. *not the big ones that nest the diffs to the bulkheads*

Also, an aluminum tension kit from YeahRacing comes with bearings. Pno: #SPT2-038OR
Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AlaskaRCnut
As I understand there are no factory sway bar kits available so I kitbashed a few for both of my S2's.
Pics would be here but I am new here so not allowed to post just yet. After a good think on the problem our solution was to order about six different products and kits that we could find. It's a good thing we did, as we ended up borrowing parts from each kit to make it work. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure we ordered parts and pieces for a Traxxas Jato (front and rear), Team Associated (rod ends, ball bearings, drop links), and HotRacing anti-roll bar kits (Axial Wraith....i think). After figuring out what worked for one car we figured it was just a case of copy and paste for the other rig. Not so..... The problem was one car has stock "A"arms and spindles whilst the other rig has been kitted out with all Aluminum "A" arms, C-blocks, and Tire bearing spindles from AsiaTees. The fancy aluminum bling parts have far less options to bolt on different bits AND the threads in the holes are different so different hardware solutions are a challenge to figure out. Pics would be better to show but I cant do that yet. Good luck dude.
Correct as far as I know as well, looking forward to seeing you're mod your "RC ears must have been ringing " this was exactly what I was going to start looking into next...but as far as alum. that's one area I never go to is the arms, i'll stick with the stock nylon ones.

Wow. It's been a long time since my Sprints looked like that. It ain't the years....It's the MILES.
I know man almost dont want to drive this one, so fresh it looks to have never been ran.

If you just want to get rid of the stock bushings and throw on some regular bearings:
Duratrax Pno: DTXC1523 (5 x 8mm)

These are the same small bearings (x2) that go on the out-drives for the differentials. *not the big ones that nest the diffs to the bulkheads*
Also, an aluminum tension kit from YeahRacing comes with bearings. Pno: #SPT2-038OR
Hope this helps.
lol from one "nut" to another again I was just was opening up my diffs and looking at that bushing!
Here you go...

Thanks for the P/N Alaska that helped for sure ...later
Old 04-24-2020, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Hoping someone can either confirm or deny in regards to the inside of these diffs now, the O ring set p/n 86016 the small red o ring in the set would these be the same ones just "a la carte" ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HPI...2/392026076770

Reason I am asking is because opening up the diffs on this one only had the larger (black one) in place but not the red so would like to see if I can source just what's needed to seal these up for diff oil application. Otherwise i'll just have to go with the o ring set option

Old 05-05-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vdubnut626
OK so exotek replied to my last message if I were to get 20 orders in would be @ $90 per set not sure if that includes shipping/taxes or not but at least price is what was previously being sold for and we have something to start with.

I may have someone local to join on the order so I'll just say 2 down and 18 to go!!!

Some inspiration shots, these are the 2 sprints I recently bought....

FROM THIS....-

TO THIS....
Wow nobody !? I see that there's been quite a bit of views so I know people have been looking, well I'll toss it up again and see if it sticks...SEE post #844 & 848 for the info thanks and can anyone answer the diff question I posted?

Regards,

Last edited by Vdubnut626; 05-05-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Battery holder mod

1/2" aluminum angle stock and some random extra 3mm hardware to adapt the factory hold downs to work with shorties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.