Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Since buying my Sprint 2 last month($60 roller) this has become my new favorite RC tread.
This is the best source of info I've found on improving this popular entry level TC(I've looked on quite a few forums too)
I've tried a few of the listed mods already and tightened up the front end quite a bit.
I just can't wait for this spring when I can actually drive it (winter here in Minnesota can be brutal)
Thank you, and keep up all the great informative posts.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now since I purchased my first RC car ever, a Sprint2 Sport Porsche. I love this thing, in fact I'm a huge ALMS Series Fan, and that 's how I ran into HPI Cars, because of their ALMS Falken Porsche. This car is very cool. Now I also own the Nitro RTR3 EVO ALMS BMW M3.
In any case, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great 'voodoo' on here!
I have done just about everything here or similar mods to my Sprint 2.

As for the Servo Saver, I removed it and replaced it with the m3 long bolt and a series of spacers and bearings and that actually completely eliminated the steering slop I had. I'll post pictures and details once I get my post count up.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

So out of boredom I am going to make a "roll cage" for mine, already got the main hoop and one of the a pillar beams ran. I like the way it looks right now so after I finish it I may do a new one whenever I get my new body. I am using home insulation support rods, solder, paper towels, electrical tape, and zip ties... I know it sounds like crap but when it is done I think it will look badass and will be functional to protect everything but the body. I am also thinking since I have a little fiberglass resin lying around I will smear some on the back of the front and rear bumpers making them more rigid and crack resistant...
Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by atlzhp6m
Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for quite some time now since I purchased my first RC car ever, a Sprint2 Sport Porsche. I love this thing, in fact I'm a huge ALMS Series Fan, and that 's how I ran into HPI Cars, because of their ALMS Falken Porsche. This car is very cool. Now I also own the Nitro RTR3 EVO ALMS BMW M3.
In any case, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great 'voodoo' on here!
I have done just about everything here or similar mods to my Sprint 2.

As for the Servo Saver, I removed it and replaced it with the m3 long bolt and a series of spacers and bearings and that actually completely eliminated the steering slop I had. I'll post pictures and details once I get my post count up.

I myself am a huge ALMS fan. I have the bmw m3 e92 rahal letterman body on my sprint 2 body and also painted a tribute scheme to the c6.r in honor of my favorite alms gt driver Tommy Milner. I cant wait until the porsche gt3 rsr body becomes available to the public in mid february.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

So last night I was practicing a little and bent a front axle right where the wheel mounts up(between the hex and the lug bolt). Today I said f*ck it and brought it out to the drift event anyways and actually did pretty good, wasn't organized or anything but my friend Chris and I tandemed pretty well for two laps until I caught grass and spun out, not bad for having sever wheel hop on the front left, here are a couple pics:

After the sliding all afternoon and taking pics I was practicing on transitions and the car unexpectedly decided to make a right turn towards a curb, almost fully corrected back left and bam, hit the right rear into the curb sheering off the end of my axle and curbing the sh*t out of my rim... Now the drift pig will be waiting on new axles until they are shipped out...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know if there is something like this for the sprint 2 chassis with maybe a 12mm offset instead of 24? Also for sh*ts and giggles would these fit? I know they would look goofy but I don't see where the pins go in...

Are these the widest I can go:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...12mm_Hex_.html

Last edited by Slobalt7; 01-21-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up WIDE OFFSET HEX WHEEL WIDENERS

Originally Posted by Slobalt7
Does anyone know if there is something like this for the sprint 2 chassis with maybe a 12mm offset instead of 24? Also for sh*ts and giggles would these fit? I know they would look goofy but I don't see where the pins go in...

Are these the widest I can go:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...12mm_Hex_.html
You mean like these >>>

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/gmade-2...mm-p-2708.html

I have a set of the RED ones to fit my 41 Willys Body to the S2...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Lightbulb Certified Automotive Graphics Vinyl Chassis Protectors

Not exactly a Big Squid or URC/Jang review =

Certified Automotive Graphics Vinyl chassis protectors for several off road vehicles and now offers them for the HPI Sprint 2 chassis.

NOT JUST AN OFF ROAD THING!!!

Dangerous_toys here on R/C Tech (Mr Robert Smoke) now makes chassis protectors for the S2 chassis.

Robert had his chores undefined with this one =
ALL OEM HPI S2 chassis are WARPED straight from HPI.
This makes it very difficult to create a template.
However, Robert has it pretty well perfected.

These are templated to the HPI S2 OEM chassis and line up quite nicely.

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4562.jpg

Robert installed the first one for me.

From there on out, I was on my own...

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4563.jpg

After spending over 20 years in refrigerated cutting rooms, coolers and freezers, add to that being a Greybeard and needing to wear XXL gloves (very difficult to find for the size paws I have)...
You can well imagine that I have a few dexterity issues.

Having said that, I was like a bear cub with two peckers trying to hit a moving fly with my pee when it came to putting one of these on my scratched up OEM chassis.
Nevertheless, I got one on and it looks great!

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4566.jpg

The aluminum chassis was more challenging because I didn't send the chassis to Robert. I just sent him an outline of the chassis and holes.
He did a great job matching things up, but I do recommend that if you need custom work done = Bite the bullet and send him the chassis. Nuff said...

HPI has screws at the very hairy outer ends of the S2 chassis, so a dead nutz fit may be a challenge.
Follow Robert's advice and carefully apply some heat -
This stuff will stretch and it will shrink as well =
So have a good hold of it when using heat.
Ask me how I know...

I used a hair drier clamped in a small vise so I could use both of my paws.

The major openings for the motor, battery and chassis venting will need to be made with a fresh bladed X-Acto knife.

These S2 chassis protectors may fit the HPI carbon fiber chassis straight away -
I'm not sure, but they should.

This is what mine looks like after two qualifiers and 5 B Mains (I spend a lot of time riding the barriers... )

HPI Sprint 2 Mods-dscn4591.jpg

If you run a EXOTECH, you will want to contact Robert and send him your chassis so he can make the template to fit.

Current colors available are black, red and purple.
Silver upon request.

Available in Carbon Fiber pattern and plain (no pattern).

•Permanent acrylic pressure-sensitive self-adhesive
•Stretchable with heat
•Easily cleansed with water
•Resistant to UV, water, dirt, grease, salt, mild acid and oil
•Long lasting
•Easy remove without residue
•OEM Certified Automotive Graphics Vinyl. NOT A 3M DI-NOC product

R/C Tech Pricing (these prices includes shipping) =
$10 for 1
$18 for 2
$32.50 for 4

No matter what color is available.

PayPal only.

When making a purchase =
PLEASE make sure that you put the quantity and the item type in the notes section of your PayPal payment.

PayPal is [email protected]

R/C Tech LINK TO Dangerous_toys =
http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...ys-105858.html

He has them on eBay if you want to go that way =
Use eBay's advanced search by seller =

NOTE: eBay pricing will reflect what is required to vend on eBay, as well it should.
spankfool

Last edited by Marv; 01-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marv
You mean like these >>>

You are such a badass. I could not find anything like these aside from the hpi 24mm's. Definitely getting these on the 1st in the 13mm offset.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

You mean like these >>>

Originally Posted by Slobalt7
You are such a badass. I could not find anything like these aside from the hpi 24mm's. Definitely getting these on the 1st in the 13mm offset.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by acerpower
Since buying my Sprint 2 last month($60 roller) this has become my new favorite RC tread.
This is the best source of info I've found on improving this popular entry level TC(I've looked on quite a few forums too)
I've tried a few of the listed mods already and tightened up the front end quite a bit.
I just can't wait for this spring when I can actually drive it (winter here in Minnesota can be brutal)
Thank you, and keep up all the great informative posts.
Slap on a set of these / The 19mm might work (?) or those 24mm HPI ones that Slobalt7 mentioned>>>

And a set of these >>>

Waterproof your electrics and play in the snow!

Or get a set of tires and rims build them & spike them and go for one of those 10,000 lakes that Minnesota is famous for!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Wow! What an awesome thread!

I just read the whole thing in one sitting. The other day I thought I might want the sprint 2 falken porsche gt3. Then I didn't like the look of the plastic chassis. Then I see this thread and the carbon fiber option chassis.....so I'm really liking it now.

*****Question***** Is the bone stock sprint 2 fun to drive for awhile?.......before you get around to doing some needed mods? It's a super cool looking chassis and mechanicals......as well as the falken gt3 body and wheels!

Thanks Marv and everyone.....great fun here!

Mike
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nitro Ace
Wow! What an awesome thread!
I just read the whole thing in one sitting. The other day I thought I might want the sprint 2 falken porsche gt3. Then I didn't like the look of the plastic chassis. Then I see this thread and the carbon fiber option chassis.....so I'm really liking it now.

*****Question***** Is the bone stock sprint 2 fun to drive for awhile?.......before you get around to doing some needed mods? It's a super cool looking chassis and mechanicals......as well as the falken gt3 body and wheels!

Thanks Marv and everyone.....great fun here!

Mike

YOU BETCHA!!!

The OEM chassis is fine for bashing or outlaw street meets.
I recommend that it NOT be used for the serious racer for club or sanctioned racing.
It's warped seven ways from sundown.
It may or may not work for drifting -

I don't know how precise a chassis has to be tuned to go sideways on purpose.

It's well built and can take a pounding when compared to other, more "delicate", non-kit cars.

I'm a greybeard "retro" rookie, so my skill level is a bit rusty (and arthritic) =
However, thanks to modern radio technology and pain killers =
I'm slowly improving...

This is a "unique" points series =
You even get points if you don't race or just leave...
Pay your fee, break your car during a qualifier / main and if you can't get it
fixed in time for the next round or at all or you just go home early = bingo!
You get points!
How great is that!

And pardon me for not welcoming all of you newest S2 owners to the thread before now!
My bad...

WELCOME!

Thanks for posting your input, fixes, mods and upgrade info!

This thread started 05/22/2012 =
Three things I have noticed over the past 6 months:
1) A decline in HPI Sprint 2 cars and rollers for sale (other than drift cars) on R/C Tech and eBay.
2) The S2's cars and rollers that are for listed for sale are asking higher prices.
3) To the best of my knowledge, this is the most complete HPI Sprint 2 thread on the world wide web when it comes to fixes, mods and upgrades (and it's not even an "OFFICIAL" thread).

So if you have a fix or a mod for the HPI Sprint, Sprint 2 post it up.

My voodoo works for me...
Until I find better voodoo -

All voodoo is welcome here.

Last edited by Marv; 01-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's well built and can take a pounding when compared to other, more "delicate", non-kit cars.

I'm a greybeard "retro" rookie, so my skill level is a bit rusty (and arthritic) =
However, thanks to modern radio technology and pain killers =
I'm slowly improving...

Ha ha! Marv, I'm 57......graybeard myself. I'm not against drifting......but it gives me VERTIGO. Been a porsche 911 fan all my life.

I watched a video posted here a page or two back......the video was of an indoor race on carpet......many participants were said to be new drivers......so I assume their cars were mostly un-modded as well....and they looked to be working great and having much fun.

After some initial out of box testing and light bashing, I would do the belt tensioners, outdrive cup springs, and steering mods.......those three .......Ohh!......and the RPM upgrade ball socket thingy's too!

Mike
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

[COLOR="Blue"]It may or may not work for drifting -

Believe it or not out of the box it was pretty good for drift(of course with drift tires), with the open rear diff and stock camber settings it is still prone to understeer and refuses to initiate a drift near top speed(even when trying to do a "brake drift", a bit of tuning camber and toe and it is very predictable and can initiate closer to top speed but a locked rear diff will most likely seal the deal. As soon as I got done with my first "drift session" I cambered the front in ~4* the rear ~6.5, relocated the suspension mounting points to " high grip surface" settings that are in the manual, made sure toe was at 0, and waited for a few more minutes for the battery to charge. Took it back out and it slides much better aside from high speed. Low speed it is a little squirrely but no more than your average lightly countersteered car. Decent steering angle stock... Overall it is a good slideway chassis. The last drift meet I went to there were atleast 5-7 other sprint 2 owners(out of maybe 20 of us), most of them stock aside from bodies, batteries, and tires. Soon I plan on locking the diff because it should take care of the "brake drift" issues but otherwise it is a great platform.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.