Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee01
Whats the best body for vta?
https://mcallisterracing.com/shop?ol...ta-body&page=2
mariob62 and moparSRT like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Exactly my point, stop adding stupid to the rules. Check the weight of the car, voltage, blinky and go race, stop dissecting the the rules, fast guys will always be fast.
No this is not about " fast guys being fast". Its about ruining the class with all the things that are ruining all the other classes. For some reason, every thing has to be faster and faster. It's not bringing out more people. Letting everything go is also not making racing better. Are on road turnouts booming?
Rick Vessell, Raman and Zerodefect like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Watch this video, from the actual beginning stages of vta. Compare the speed to today's speed.

NutDriver and Hopscotch like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
No this is not about " fast guys being fast". Its about ruining the class with all the things that are ruining all the other classes. For some reason, every thing has to be faster and faster. It's not bringing out more people. Letting everything go is also not making racing better. Are on road turnouts booming?
Adding stupid rules will not bring back on road racing, rules need to be simple ... dissecting the weight of individual components is not the way, cars already need to weigh 1450g, 99.9% of us club racers will not notice a 5 or 10g difference in body weight.
Watch this video, from the actual beginning stages of vta. Compare the speed to today's speed.
And today vta is still the slowest class.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

17.5 TC, VTA, and USGT need to figure out a way to work together and be one single class. Touring cars can go back to scale bodies and spoke wheels with slicks, maybe drop down to 21.5. USGT can stay about the same, but spoke wheels and slick tires.. VTA can just move up to 21.5 and and the same spoke wheels with TC slicks. 17.5 and USGT are running similar times, and while VTA is massively slower, it's NOT easier to drive. Most of those guys can drive a USGT just fine.

There's no reason for there to be three TC classes diluting the racing. 12th scale needs to do the same. Figure out a way to bring racers together into one bigger group.

One week there's a dozen USGT's and nothing else, next week it's 17.5's and nothing else. We're wasting practice time swapping motors at the track. And some racers are turning away or avoiding racing all together, when their pet class has weak turnouts.

I have a hunch that nobody wants more racers, at all. Absolutely unacceptable track advertising, useless facebook pages, and info lacking websites.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

You're free to run the cars at 1320 g with 8000 mah packs. Lightweight bodies too. Run sedan wings on the back if you want. I wont be at your track to stop you.

Fyi there is, or was a bunch of guys running 1s 17.5 vta in Minnesota at one point. They completely ignored all our motor and battery rules.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Adding stupid rules will not bring back on road racing, rules need to be simple ... dissecting the weight of individual components is not the way, cars already need to weigh 1450g, 99.9% of us club racers will not notice a 5 or 10g difference in body weight.

And today vta is still the slowest class.
Every time I hear the rules need to be kept simple, you know there is going to be someone who does something they shouldn't because it's "not in the rules".
Yes its still the slowest class but its speed is creeping up along with all the other classes.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I have been out of touch with VTA for awhile. Could someone in the thread enlighten me as to what's going on with stuff I've been reading about like car weight, light weight bodies and changing motor sizes? You can keep it brief as I can pick up on it.
Was hoping to get back racing VTA, but now I don't know. Thanks to all.
drjim likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

... The cars would be 1300g 25.5 sedans if I was inclined to let everyone have their 2 cents. Lead is cheap. But everybody wants to run $600 cars in the slowest class, so I guess there's no money left for ballast.
And some people just don't get it. The rules should NOT be written based on the lightest, newest, most cutting edge cars & parts available. Not in any class, especially not in USVTA. In off-road, the weight limit for 2wd Buggy in 2019 is actually heavier than it was in 2000. Touring car used to be 1502g in 2000. If you subtract the weight difference between a 6-cell Nimh & a 2S-6000 Lipo from this number, you get 1375g (not the 1320 everyone argues in favor of), and this is for the "high tech" class.

moparSRT likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

...And you guys are right, it is a dictatorship. The cars would be 1300g 25.5 sedans if I was inclined to let everyone have their 2 cents. Lead is cheap. But everybody wants to run $600 cars in the slowest class, so I guess there's no money left for ballast.
Are you seriously suggesting that there can be no middle ground between a dictatorship and VTA cars that turn into 1300g 25.5 sedans?

Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jammin684
I have been out of touch with VTA for awhile. Could someone in the thread enlighten me as to what's going on with stuff I've been reading about like car weight, light weight bodies and changing motor sizes? You can keep it brief as I can pick up on it.
Was hoping to get back racing VTA, but now I don't know. Thanks to all.
it’s not quite the big deal the internet would believe you to see.

there are a couple bodies that are lighter than others, a rule got put in place to stop it before it got out of hand.
Xpress, sps3172 and dave-man like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sps3172
Are you seriously suggesting that there can be no middle ground between a dictatorship and VTA cars that turn into 1300g 25.5 sedans?
Yep
Old 11-12-2019, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

I for one appreciate that Rob took on writing rule sets for these classes. F1 was heading nowhere fast until he pulled it under his wing. He basically created VTA and USGT. I know he keeps his eye out for issues that may come up and handles them in a way that has always been in the best interest of those classes. Please don't attack the man just because he happens to add or modify a rule that you personally don't like. He is a racer and a good one. He understands very well what is going on. Keep up the good work. But hey could you get us a better tire? Lol
Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
But hey could you get us a better tire? Lol

Per the rules - Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed.

I know for a fact that guys are not following this rule in order to make the tires usable. (Heck, I've tried different things to break them in) I've heard of drills, tire saucing followed by tire warmers at "x" temps for "x" minutes, etc. The tires out of the package are (insert whatever word you want here). There is no way a person can mount a new set of tires and compete with someone who has broken in a set of tires using some special process.

I'm perfectly content with all the other rules (incl. the min. body weight), however, if I could change one thing.....
Old 11-12-2019, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

WGTR is a completely different animal , running on pan car chassis . Which
is pretty antiquated given the solid axle in the back & an un-damped suspension
up front. Of course it won't happen but existing AWD cars with tthe front belts/outdrives
removed would make a great 2WD true VTA car. Some of our local VTA drivers are faster
than the 21.5 touring cars . Perhaps reverting to 2WD would make things more realistic,
after all that's the intent of the class !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.