Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

There is no need to change the weight rule from 1450g , Some of my older cars still have to add weights to make that.
On the other hand Id like to see VTA go back to a one motor class.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The one motor Can-am style might really help this class, had an experience recently with the horsepower working the other way, guys with the power but down 3 and 4 laps makes for a nervous race every time you get close, drag race to the corner and down the straight can be an adventure. VTA setup one motor one gear may be something worth looking at. A thought....
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
I just love drivers worrying about a custom motor and ceramic bb and rotors. It does not matter if you cant drive! Not all motors are the same and worrying about what someone has is not worth it. Driving and set-up .Every manufacture has there own why of selling there motors. the problem is drivers putting a different rotor 12.5 in the can - then you have a problem.
Even if you go to hand out motors they are not all the same.Been there and done than many times before.
This is the classic misconception.

In any class with motor restrictions, any motor advantage will show up big on the track. I can't tell you how many times I've driven perfect lines with the best setup only to watch some idiot slamming off of every board pass me because he has more motor. The motor problem is real. Fortunately in VTA most racers keep within the spirit of the rules. But it only takes one to ruin it for many.

And, maybe it's me, but I thought vintage trans am was for old farts who didn't want to buy new touring cars and race their old stuff with cool looking classic American bodies just to have some fun. If you're worried about setup and driving, go race touring car.
mariob62 likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
This is the classic misconception.

In any class with motor restrictions, any motor advantage will show up big on the track. I can't tell you how many times I've driven perfect lines with the best setup only to watch some idiot slamming off of every board pass me because he has more motor. The motor problem is real. Fortunately in VTA most racers keep within the spirit of the rules. But it only takes one to ruin it for many.

And, maybe it's me, but I thought vintage trans am was for old farts who didn't want to buy new touring cars and race their old stuff with cool looking classic American bodies just to have some fun. If you're worried about setup and driving, go race touring car.
Actually that is not ever going to hold true, at the end of the day it is racing not vintage car parade. The spirit of all the classes is to RACE and I always race to win, so does everyone else, some just have a better chance, some know they don't have much of a chance. But I would think anybody wants to do better, go faster, old fart, old chassis or not.
iTz Nicholas72, moparSRT and JC3 like this.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
There is no need to change the weight rule from 1450g , Some of my older cars still have to add weights to make that.
On the other hand Id like to see VTA go back to a one motor class.

As much as I agree with you. I remember the non stop complaining when it was a one motor rule.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kregger
As much as I agree with you. I remember the non stop complaining when it was a one motor rule.
The one motor didn't last long, a second novak motor was added to the list making it a two motor class ... that's when the complaining started.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Was that because of noticeable difference in performance between motors ?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jsaves
Well not the response I was looking for as an answer.
I can drive and I can put together really clean races with stock motor, batt and esc. I thought this class is about drivers and driving and set up, but when a person can pull you down the straights with this “motor” and out of corners better it is not about driving or set up any more. I have my stock reedy motorlysered to its peak efficiency and still get beat by .3 per lap. Not because the person is driving better lines either, but getting out horsepowered.
So the question again, is this what this class is doing at bigger races, custom motors?
I think this is a fair question.

Bryan...my motor is a 3yo base Motiv MC. No fancy bearings, no fancy rotor, no "paid extra for hand-selected". And it hasn't been on the Motolyser either...yet!

My lines are ALWAYS better than yours

fwiw,

Scottrik

Last edited by Scottrik; 11-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

There used to be big differences in mototrs when it was only Novak too BUT the differences now can be more drastic

Having run a spes class at Leisure Hours all summer with a hobbywing (no timing) 21.5 and running that same motor at Windy City in Tc21.5 ( and Reedy spec 21.5) top speeds are still closer in those classes then the VTA and GT classes I have raced this year. Sure there is still differnces in Driving , Chassis and Setup but it does help to even out the field.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Was that because of noticeable difference in performance between motors ?
not really, but it no longer was a one motor class, any motor from one manufacture is not really spec lol and the boss motor was at that time the most expensive brushless motor on the market

I personally dont see that much difference in the 25.5 motors, just spent 4 hours on the rug running 2 cars back to back, one with a trackstar and one with a hobbywing v10 G3 ... with both cars I was able to set a fast lap of 12.3 and stay consistent in the 12.5-12.8 range ... only time I see a difference is when some locals are using big rotors or charging to 8.6v

Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Try an R1....
Jsaves and belewis01 like this.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The guy has a custom R1
Old 11-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RKeasler
The spirit of all the classes is to RACE and I always race to win, so does everyone else, .
This is why the arguments about any of the rules will never end.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
This is why the arguments about any of the rules will never end.
Because if my statement or the truth in it ?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

%guys please trust me when I say... VTA doesn't need any change...If at your club you have a racer blowing you down, check his ride...esc...motor...weight...ect. I normally test every motor to do comparisions for myself and for information to pass. And I still haven't seen one 25.5 better than another unless it wasn't legal. Now some require way different FDR and timing to perform similar. Example the MC2 at 40 deg needs a FDR of 4.3, where my Reedy needs a 3.3 FDR at 40 deg. I ran them back to back to back with same battery and setup minus a little weight for the Reedy being heavier than the MC2....and did the exact laps and fast lap and a 98%...and Ive run this test on just about every 25.5 motor on the ROAR list from Speedzone to Trinity to the New Revtech.

If you have a good setup and your esc, radio, battery, and motor are tuned properly, you should have a competitive VTA ride, if your driving is on point

VTA is growing all over....and if racers will be honest with themselves and fellow racers it will continue to do so. The rules work, try them
mariob62 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.