Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Here's a comprehensive list of cars that have a USVTA-approved R/C Shell:

Sharpie,

I forgot about the Pegasus 70 Camaro but am hoping someone can do one that is closer to scale.

However, brother, the 66 HPI Mustang does not work for the 67 & 68 Mustangs. 65 & 66 had the same headlights, tail lights and grille, The 67, 68, & 69 had a different headlight, tail light and grille, then they changed again in 1970. Also all of the 65 & 66 Shelby Mustang Fastbacks all ran B Production because they did not have back seats (considered 2 seat Coupes instead of 4 seat Sedans). You dodn't start seeing Fastbacks in Trans-AM until 1969 (at least in Trans-AM/S Sedan trim).
Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rojna
Saw one at the 2009 snowbirds

I know where the nose is...lol...but it smells like Paragon
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-nash3.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-5174_91560199573_7529352_n.jpg  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 09-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Darkside,

It could smell like a porta-potty and I would still want it!!

Scott
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

2013 Southern Nationals - USVTA MAINS

USVTA A1
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

USVTA A2
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

USVTA A3
+ YouTube Video
Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GP40X
Sharpie,

I forgot about the Pegasus 70 Camaro but am hoping someone can do one that is closer to scale.

However, brother, the 66 HPI Mustang does not work for the 67 & 68 Mustangs. 65 & 66 had the same headlights, tail lights and grille, The 67, 68, & 69 had a different headlight, tail light and grille, then they changed again in 1970. Also all of the 65 & 66 Shelby Mustang Fastbacks all ran B Production because they did not have back seats (considered 2 seat Coupes instead of 4 seat Sedans). You dodn't start seeing Fastbacks in Trans-AM until 1969 (at least in Trans-AM/S Sedan trim).
Not to sound like an A but the 67 and 68 had the same front and rear. the body changes were in 69. 69 and 70 shared a body style. However the 69 and 70 had different grilles, outer headlight buckets, and tail lights along with the elimination of the non functional quarter panel brake scoops on the 69 fastback . the differences are even more with the mach 1 trim package. Curiously the 69 boss 302 did not have the brake scoops but all other fastback cars did.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Not to sound like an A but the 67 and 68 had the same front and rear. the body changes were in 69. 69 and 70 shared a body style. However the 69 and 70 had different grilles, outer headlight buckets, and tail lights along with the elimination of the non functional quarter panel brake scoops on the 69 fastback . the differences are even more with the mach 1 trim package. Curiously the 69 boss 302 did not have the brake scoops but all other fastback cars did.
I guess I should have been more clear when I said the 67, 68, & 69 had a different head light tail light and grille. I meant they had the same head light and grille which was different from the 65-66. 67-70 were the same basic body style. 67, 68, & 69 and the same head light and grille package (with slight variances for different option packages). 70 got an updated larger grille and moved the headlights into the grille (same fenders and hood from 67 to 70) 67 & 68 got the same tail lights. 69 were slightly different tail lights with the same tail light panel as the 67-68. 70 to a new flat tail light panel. 67 to 70 had the same fenders, unibody, hood, trunk, doors, and quarter panels with slight styling changes. Since the Boss 302 was specifically built for racing, the left out the fake brake scoops on the Boss rear quarter panels. Remember, most of the 69 Mustangs run by the "Big Teams" were actually "bodies in white". Ford built and delivered basic bodies to the race shops and purpose built race cars were then built. You can usually tell a car that was built from a "body in white" because it will not have side marker lights if it is 1968 or newer. If the car is built from a street car then it will usually retain the side marker lights (unless it was wrecked and they used a non-side marker light body panel to replace it).
Old 09-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GP40X
I guess I should have been more clear when I said the 67, 68, & 69 had a different head light tail light and grille. I meant they had the same head light and grille which was different from the 65-66. 67-70 were the same basic body style. 67, 68, & 69 and the same head light and grille package (with slight variances for different option packages). 70 got an updated larger grille and moved the headlights into the grille (same fenders and hood from 67 to 70) 67 & 68 got the same tail lights. 69 were slightly different tail lights with the same tail light panel as the 67-68. 70 to a new flat tail light panel. 67 to 70 had the same fenders, unibody, hood, trunk, doors, and quarter panels with slight styling changes. Since the Boss 302 was specifically built for racing, the left out the fake brake scoops on the Boss rear quarter panels. Remember, most of the 69 Mustangs run by the "Big Teams" were actually "bodies in white". Ford built and delivered basic bodies to the race shops and purpose built race cars were then built. You can usually tell a car that was built from a "body in white" because it will not have side marker lights if it is 1968 or newer. If the car is built from a street car then it will usually retain the side marker lights (unless it was wrecked and they used a non-side marker light body panel to replace it).
67 and 68 were very similar and 69 and 70 were very similar. don't know where you are getting your information. I have owned a 69 fastback since 1993. Not a single body part from a 67 or 68 will fit a 69 while almost every body part from a 70 will fit a 69.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thinking of getting into this class again with my daughter. I hope I can get some answers on a few questions:

- what bodies appear to be the most durable for the class?
- Anyone got a quick link to pics of there inner driver mounted on there vehicle?
- What chassis appear to be highly durable?
- Of the "firebird" style bodies, which appears to be the most durable?

Thanks beforehand for any info. Right now, I am considering some Xray T3's, Hot Bodies TCX, and some Associated TC4s though I am leaning against that from what I recall about issues breaking rear hub carriers and with the boards at the track not being forgiving, rather my daughter and myself not having to go through that unless someone has strengthening tips there.

Anyways, thanks before hand for any info.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The most durable bodies are the one piece bodies - HPI Camaro, Pegasus Mustang, the BoLink/RJSpeed bodies...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Dave Johnson running a prototype VBC Chassis designed for VTA won the Canadian Vintage TransAm Class (in Canada we run 21.5) at the Fall Fiasco this weekend at Lou's Speedway near London Ontario Canada. Dave was also running a Protoform Firebird Body which was designed by Canadian Body Guru Dale Epp.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
Dave Johnson running a prototype VBC Chassis designed for VTA won the Canadian Vintage TransAm Class (in Canada we run 21.5) at the Fall Fiasco this weekend at Lou's Speedway near London Ontario Canada. Dave was also running a Protoform Firebird Body which was designed by Canadian Body Guru Dale Epp.
congrads...any links to the event?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
(edit)...

- what bodies appear to be the most durable for the class?
- Anyone got a quick link to pics of there inner driver mounted on there vehicle?
- What chassis appear to be highly durable?
- Of the "firebird" style bodies, which appears to be the most durable?

---(edit).
Body Durability
Most of the one-piece VTA bodies are fairly durable, but all of the bodies can last a long time with a bit of prep.

- If possible/practical, make sure the front foam bumper is as close to the lexan body as possible. A cut to fit bumper can be useful (http://parmapse.shptron.com/p/ultima...-bumpers?pp=15)
- Silicon Glue (Shoe Goo or similar) is your friend. Use it (sparingly) to reinforce corners/edges on the inside of the body. When used with fiberglass fabric or dry wall mesh, a body can easily last for many months of racing.
- Check out the http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-only.html thread here on RCTECH for tips/help/photos.

Chassis Durability
Most r/c cars have specific weak points. It can be rear hubs, servo savers, shock towers, etc. Here are a few suggestions.

- Again, a good front foam bumper will protect steering components
- An over-sized or wider body can lessen impacts with barriers. The Parma VTA Camaro or Cuda could be a good option for a new/younger racer.
- Rear nerf wings can help protect rear hubs/uprights on any chassis. BRP makes wings that will fit tub chassis cars (http://brpracing.com/6230.html)
- Tub chassis cars can be less prone to tweaking from impacts during a race (less setup work after the race). However, even a tub chassis can become tweaked/need to be replaced.

Firebird Bodies
Some quick notes.

- The McAllister Firebird is a one piece body. It doesn't come with detailed decals, but is less expensive. You can get a good set of decals from RCTECH username SWTOUR (http://www.rctech.net/forum/12328906-post64.html) or CSEILS (http://www.rctech.net/forum/12396991-post229.html).

- The Protoform Firebird is a two-piece body. You must attach the nose to the rest of the body, but it does come with 2 front "nose-cone" pieces. It does come with detailed decals.

----------

Hope this info helps. Great to hear you are interested in racing VTA with your daughter.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thank you for the info!

I picked up an X-ray T3R and a T3 2012 to use. I figure from what I have seen of them, for the money they would be good vehicles to start with.

I am still a bit up in the air on VTA versus USGT as I got more electronics gear for USGT already that could be used, but I like the speeds the class sees.

Question on lipo batteries. Who makes a 5000mah or below lipo with inboard connectors for a reasonable price? (say sub $50). Like what I see from SMC but they went over by 100mah lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Thank you for the info!

I picked up an X-ray T3R and a T3 2012 to use. I figure from what I have seen of them, for the money they would be good vehicles to start with.

I am still a bit up in the air on VTA versus USGT as I got more electronics gear for USGT already that could be used, but I like the speeds the class sees.

Question on lipo batteries. Who makes a 5000mah or below lipo with inboard connectors for a reasonable price? (say sub $50). Like what I see from SMC but they went over by 100mah lol.
The Trinity Sting VTA batteries are really nice as well as the Power Push. Both reasonably priced.

http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=434

http://www.powerpushbatteries.com/#!page2/cjg9
Old 09-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

A lot of guys swear by these...

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...&product_id=57

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.