Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looking at the new Trinity motor but see a few Neh comments, what gives? Trinity stuff no good anymore?

Originally Posted by doogle1973
https://www.teamtrinity.com/trinity-...r-rev1104.html

New Trinity VTA Motors are coming soon!!!! time to replace my D3.5
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
it will never see the wires of my speedo
Originally Posted by tonyd
actually any of his motors.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GimpyGolden
Looking at the new Trinity motor but see a few Neh comments, what gives? Trinity stuff no good anymore?
I'm guessing it is commentary on Mr. Provetti's (Mr. Trinity) lack of ethics. A stand I completely agree with.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

I don't mix politics with my hobbies

GimpyGolden likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default VTA tires comparison

I just received my first set of Protoform VTA tires. Right off the bat it was easy to see why they don't have the grip the HPI tires did even if they had exactly the same compound...there isn't anywhere NEAR the amount of tread "on the ground". The tires are, overall, the same width as can easily be seen by laying a mounted version of each on the table. But if you line up the outer tread groove at the shoulder one with the other it can easily be seen that the HPI tire has a wider tread face overall...just guessing, I'd say about a half of a tread band more overall width. So even if they had the same compound there'd be a bit of a difference. The HPI has a bit more of a "wrap-around" effect which, it would seem, would provide a bit more surface under heavy cornering loads.

THEN compare the individual tread bands...the Protoform tires bands are noticeably narrower per band (larger "voids" between each band). The design/pattern is very similar, but the same number of narrower bands equals less "rubber on the road", so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual area of the tread on the ground is 15% less on the Protoform tire than the HPI tire.

Ah well, there's nothing for it. I had some extra sets of HPI tires since I bought a few after yet another of their protracted (and frequent) "unavailable" periods...just before the Protoform tires were announced. I'll pass them on to newcomers, I guess, since the locals are already kinda grumbling that I ran the HPI tires last weekend for our first race. We had allowed both at our season ending 2-day last year, but time moves on. I see that the hosts for our first upcoming 2-day event in December have stated Protoform only for their event so I guess I'm moving on whether I like it or not!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:28 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't mix politics with my hobbies
I just got one in the mail today but haven't had a chance to run it. So, What do you think about it so far?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I just received my first set of Protoform VTA tires. Right off the bat it was easy to see why they don't have the grip the HPI tires did even if they had exactly the same compound...there isn't anywhere NEAR the amount of tread "on the ground". The tires are, overall, the same width as can easily be seen by laying a mounted version of each on the table. But if you line up the outer tread groove at the shoulder one with the other it can easily be seen that the HPI tire has a wider tread face overall...just guessing, I'd say about a half of a tread band more overall width. So even if they had the same compound there'd be a bit of a difference. The HPI has a bit more of a "wrap-around" effect which, it would seem, would provide a bit more surface under heavy cornering loads.

THEN compare the individual tread bands...the Protoform tires bands are noticeably narrower per band (larger "voids" between each band). The design/pattern is very similar, but the same number of narrower bands equals less "rubber on the road", so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual area of the tread on the ground is 15% less on the Protoform tire than the HPI tire.

Ah well, there's nothing for it. I had some extra sets of HPI tires since I bought a few after yet another of their protracted (and frequent) "unavailable" periods...just before the Protoform tires were announced. I'll pass them on to newcomers, I guess, since the locals are already kinda grumbling that I ran the HPI tires last weekend for our first race. We had allowed both at our season ending 2-day last year, but time moves on. I see that the hosts for our first upcoming 2-day event in December have stated Protoform only for their event so I guess I'm moving on whether I like it or not!
Don't despair. The PF tires get better and better as they get used. On carpet they get so good that they are actually too good and you need to find ways to reduce grip. On asphalt they are awesome.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
I just got one in the mail today but haven't had a chance to run it. So, What do you think about it so far?
Only have one race night on it but so far I like it, also set my fastest lap time with it my previous motor was a hobbywing V10 G3

Originally Posted by JC3
The PF tires get better and better as they get used. On carpet they get so good that they are actually too good and you need to find ways to reduce grip. On asphalt they are awesome.
Wrong, HPI tires are awesome, they stay consistent from from the day you mount them to day you throw them away ... regardless if ur using them on carpet or asphalt.

PF tires are garbage, always changing in size and traction ... nothing awesome about that. There is nothing awesome about having to change ur ride height all the time because they keep swelling up, there is nothing awesome about having to keep changing ur setup between runs because the traction(tire grip) keeps changing ... Garbage unlike HPI tires which are awesome
Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Only have one race night on it but so far I like it, also set my fastest lap time with it my previous motor was a hobbywing V10 G3
Nice!

Wrong, HPI tires are awesome, they stay consistent from from the day you mount them to day you throw them away ... regardless if ur using them on carpet or asphalt.

PF tires are garbage, always changing in size and traction ... nothing awesome about that. There is nothing awesome about having to change ur ride height all the time because they keep swelling up, there is nothing awesome about having to keep changing ur setup between runs because the traction(tire grip) keeps changing ... Garbage unlike HPI tires which are awesome
I wasn't suggesting that the HPI's were bad in any way. You're right about the PF's and how they change and require you to make constant adjustments. Not optimal at all. I race on carpet and so have never tried the HPI's. Also, I tend to get things that are actually available for purchase and so far the HPI's have been problematic in that regard. Here I think we can agree.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
Nice!

I wasn't suggesting that the HPI's were bad in any way. You're right about the PF's and how they change and require you to make constant adjustments. Not optimal at all. I race on carpet and so have never tried the HPI's. Also, I tend to get things that are actually available for purchase and so far the HPI's have been problematic in that regard. Here I think we can agree.
Agreed, sucks that HPI went bankrupt ... sucks that usvta gods decided to be silent 6 months ago when us asphalt racers were begging for help, even PF(Eric) chimed in that they could make a better compound as long as they get permission from the gods ... but HPI came to our rescue and flooded the market once again with HPI tires which are currently available just about everywhere

In my opinion the chosen compound for the PF tires is a mistake, with PL making tires for at least 30 years now you would think they would make something better (more consistent) .... and btw the PF are not consistent batch to batch either, we all had a set that just would not work even on carpet without soaking it overnight in wd-40 or liquid wrench, which is illegal
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
we here at Apex get average 10-15 VTA cars weekly.... wish I had some pics
could always post the link with LiveRC for the weekly A and or B main
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:43 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Agreed, sucks that HPI went bankrupt ... sucks that usvta gods decided to be silent 6 months ago when us asphalt racers were begging for help, even PF(Eric) chimed in that they could make a better compound as long as they get permission from the gods ... but HPI came to our rescue and flooded the market once again with HPI tires which are currently available just about everywhere

In my opinion the chosen compound for the PF tires is a mistake, with PL making tires for at least 30 years now you would think they would make something better (more consistent) .... and btw the PF are not consistent batch to batch either, we all had a set that just would not work even on carpet without soaking it overnight in wd-40 or liquid wrench, which is illegal
It doesn't get talked about much on RCtech. So, How are the HPI's on carpet?
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
It doesn't get talked about much on RCtech. So, How are the HPI's on carpet?
They are AWESOME on carpet, stay very consistent, tire of choice for most of us in Florida.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I almost can’t believe there’s still complaining about the PF Tires. Though in my limited time on the racing side I’m starting to see complaints as just part of racing.

Hopefully Saturday I’ll get to finally see how the PF tires work on carpet. I’m still using the set from spring. I do have a new set if needed. I’ve also got a set of Hpi out of curiosity. Indoor track I’m hoping to run at id only allowing PF for racing.

If things go right week from this sunday I’ll try my first VTA race. If not it will most likely December before I can try again
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moparSRT
They are AWESOME on carpet, stay very consistent, tire of choice for most of us in Florida.
I'm going to give them a try. They are available (unmounted only and no wheels available) on eBay but not in any of the other places that I normally shop. Sold out on TQ and no fronts available on AMain. Also, very limited availability of wheels on AMain. Out of stock on Stormer. I find shopping like this, all over the place, particularly frustrating. Generally, I won't do it. Hence, why I run PF's.
DARKSIDE likes this.

Last edited by JC3; 11-01-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you have a set of PF that dont work...please send them to me...I promise Ill put them to good use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.