U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

You're on Page 49 of 745
Go to
  • Jep
    what do you have your timing set at
  • I am slower than my field as well, but I am still geared near 4 and I have no timing and no fan. I still think the best thing I could do to speed up is to spend less time on my roof. You might want to borrow differrent components from other racers and see which one makes a big differrence. My laps improved when I went to a Savox servo from the $35 JR I was using. Who knew? You might have a weak link in your speed control or your throttle might not be turned all the way up on your radio. It could be anything.
  • Also double check that your bearings are all free.
  • Quote: I just want to see if anyone is having the same problem as me ever since we switched to the 25.5 system it seems like there are a few racer's that are much quicker then most of the field ,I thought that going to 25.5 was going to make everything closer for all racers now maybe my motor is just bad but I have tried gearing from 4.00 down to 3.40 and still it seems I'm not even close , also we had an incident this weekend where a driver put the wrong stator in his ballistic and was running a 21.5 why would we pick a motor that can be tampered with. I'm going to try a new stator to see if thats the problem .I know I'm not the best driver but when you get lapped and your running clean laps not hitting anything it makes me wonder. so
    I wasn't the only one complaining about not having enougf speed .I never
    had a problem when we ran 21.5 . so I just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem.
  • it seems like there are a few racer's that are much quicker then most of the field

    thats racing in any class...fast guys are faster than the rest

    I thought that going to 25.5 was going to make everything closer for all racers now

    VTA is closer...and has grown since the Sept 2010 rule change(25.5)...its about setup and driver, and small things like bearings and FDR/timming make a difference

    maybe my motor is just bad but I have tried gearing from 4.00 down to 3.40 and still it seems I'm not even close

    maybe, and possible...ask one of the fast guys to swap motors and see what happens

    also we had an incident this weekend where a driver put the wrong stator in his ballistic and was running a 21.5 why would we pick a motor that can be tampered with.

    thats not an accident..thats cheating...the Novak 21.5 has a green stator, not char gray

    I know I'm not the best driver but when you get lapped and your running clean laps not hitting anything it makes me wonder.

    I lap ppl all the time...but Im not cheating and dont have any special Mojo..its more driver...Ive got guys at my track whom cars are faster than mine...but dont beat me. And if you are running clean laps and feel like something a miss, ask one of your fast guys to drive your car and vise verse

    I wasn't the only one complaining about not having enougf speed .I never
    had a problem when we ran 21.5 .


    I remember going to Cincy for the Grand Prix, and feeling the same way....but after looking at the fast guys on the straight, I noticed my car was slow...but only because my rear toe was too much...I made the rear wheels straight and the slowness was gone...went from the B to 5th in the A...with one adjustment...and that was 21.5...same thing can happen in 25.5 with different setups...
  • Don't forget corner speeds.

    If you are as fast or faster than some people going down the straight and then push wide or slide the rear end in the corner, you are losing tenths to the guy who can maintain corner speed and accelerate out of the turn properly.

    25.5 separates the guys who can drive and setup a car for the entire track from the guys who can't maintain proper corner speeds.
  • true
  • Quote: ...I thought that going to 25.5 was going to make everything closer for all racers now

    VTA is closer...and has grown since the Sept 2010 rule change(25.5)...its about setup and driver, and small things like bearings and FDR/timming make a difference.
    I fully agree with Darkside. Small things like bearings make a world of difference. I installed a full set of ABEC 7 grade ceramic ball bearings in my VTA and not only did it make my lap times quicker, my motor temperature was 20F cooler too. Granted the bearings were not cheap ($89.00 for a full set) but IMO they are worth every penny.
  • Quote: I remember going to Cincy for the Grand Prix, and feeling the same way....but after looking at the fast guys on the straight, I noticed my car was slow...but only because my rear toe was too much...I made the rear wheels straight and the slowness was gone...went from the B to 5th in the A...with one adjustment...and that was 21.5...same thing can happen in 25.5 with different setups...
    If I dont run three degrees of rear toe my butt passes the front end when I go into a corner. I cant imagine running no rear toe.
  • Quote: I fully agree with Darkside. Small things like bearings make a world of difference. I installed a full set of ABEC 7 grade ceramic ball bearings in my VTA and not only did it make my lap times quicker, my motor temperature was 20F cooler too. Granted the bearings were not cheap ($89.00 for a full set) but IMO they are worth every penny.
    I didnt go ceramic, but I did learn a nice trick for one of the other racers at the track...

    I took the bearings out of my TC6 and took the seal off one side....then cleaned them with brake cleaner...real good...

    Next I took an empty pill bottle and filled it with Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray....dump the bearings in the bottle for overnite...

    put them back in and WOW!!! what a big difference....Thats How I do my bearings all the time now...I did it for Birds Scale Nats and every race I can
  • Quote: If I dont run three degrees of rear toe my butt passes the front end when I go into a corner. I cant imagine running no rear toe.
    the traction kept the car planted as well....traction roll was an issue for some...too
  • Hye guys guess what June 24th is....????
  • Battman....Dirla has two VTA test packs at the track. Let me know which one runs better to you. Dont him hog them. I want both of you to run them.

    Rob if your racing much now shoot me a PM. I have two more I would like to send you to try as well next week.

    EA
  • Quote: Battman....Dirla has two VTA test packs at the track. Let me know which one runs better to you. Dont him hog them. I want both of you to run them.

    Rob if your racing much now shoot me a PM. I have two more I would like to send you to try as well next week.

    EA
    ok
  • Quote: I just want to see if anyone is having the same problem as me ever since we switched to the 25.5 system it seems like there are a few racer's that are much quicker then most of the field ,I thought that going to 25.5 was going to make everything closer for all racers now maybe my motor is just bad but I have tried gearing from 4.00 down to 3.40 and still it seems I'm not even close , also we had an incident this weekend where a driver put the wrong stator in his ballistic and was running a 21.5 why would we pick a motor that can be tampered with. I'm going to try a new stator to see if thats the problem .I know I'm not the best driver but when you get lapped and your running clean laps not hitting anything it makes me wonder. so
    I wasn't the only one complaining about not having enougf speed .I never
    had a problem when we ran 21.5 . so I just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem.
    Sounds like a setup issue to me... If you lose 2 tenths in each corner, and there are 8 turns required to make each lap, you're behind 1.6 seconds per lap. It's easy to get lapped losing that much time each time around the course, even when you're not hitting anything. The other thing you'll notice is that once the car handles well, it'll make any motor look faster since you're maintaining more corner speed.

Similar Threads