Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
It would be interesting to see a dyno slip with the motor from the factory. I'm guessing 9 times out of 10 the motor is already set for peak efficiency from the factory and messing with timing just becomes a mental crutch. There has to be a line where max rpm meets min current draw for a given load. At that point rpm gain is minimal while current draw goes exponential.
Bingo
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the only thing I havent seen anyone say about how fast someone else is.

CLAIMER MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That ought to stir the pot a little.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ill bite...whats that?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Ill bite...whats that?
normally for a price, the winner's motor is yours - you 'claim' it

that's the bare minimum of the term. I've heard it used a few times for RC racing - kind of as a 'shut the whiners up, or keep folks legit' thing
Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well Ill share how I get my sweet spot, if anybody wants it....

1st I get some really nice flowers....oh wait ...wrong sweet spot, sorry sweatheart...

okay back to motors...lol...my anniversary is tomorrow YUMMY!!!

You can also try this....gear your chassis as low as you can get it...say 3.1 FDR, and set the motor time at 15 deg and go from there....move 2-3 deg at a time and see where you end up....
Congratz!

3.1? That seems like a typo. I bet you meant 3.8... I never used to touch the timing, but have started to play around with it. First I gear for the infield to make sure I can get through the twisty bits. Then I'll go up a couple degrees like you said until the motor starts getting a little warm, then back off and start the balancing act with infield punch Vs. top end gearing and temps. If I can get under 140 for a 5 minute run, I've done well.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I really enjoyed talking to you guys at one lug a couple weeks ago. I am glad to see your machines coming along nicely. I think you guys are in for a lot of fun.
I think we are too. Both looking forward to joining in on the fun.

I'm still green as far as all the motor timing stuff. I have geared mine with 96/54 seems to be running decently quick. The real test will be on the track.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Congratz!

3.1? That seems like a typo. I bet you meant 3.8... I never used to touch the timing, but have started to play around with it. First I gear for the infield to make sure I can get through the twisty bits. Then I'll go up a couple degrees like you said until the motor starts getting a little warm, then back off and start the balancing act with infield punch Vs. top end gearing and temps. If I can get under 140 for a 5 minute run, I've done well.
Im guessing thats not a typo. On a larger carpet track, i have seen many a FDR in the 3.3 range with full timing, so 3.1 with no timing is very possible.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
normally for a price, the winner's motor is yours - you 'claim' it

that's the bare minimum of the term. I've heard it used a few times for RC racing - kind of as a 'shut the whiners up, or keep folks legit' thing
Yup, that sums it up in a nutshell. The difference here is that if a competitor wants to buy another competitor's motor, the winner wouldn't be able to decline the sale.

$90 claimer motors will never fly, since the racer losing a motor should be able to replace what they've got at no net cost to them.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Their needs to be more structure/rules in a "CLAIM" environment.

1) It needs to be an actual RACER from the class that's doing the claim

2) Must be entered in the race he's claiming.

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

4) The trade motor should be verified that it is in proper working condition.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Im guessing thats not a typo. On a larger carpet track, i have seen many a FDR in the 3.3 range with full timing, so 3.1 with no timing is very possible.
I've never successfully geared a motor that low in VTA. Of course I've never run on a straight longer that 90' either. From some seriously hot motors I've tried to melt in the past (really, really bad math), I just don't think I'd want to start at 3.1 and gear shorter.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SWTour

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

not bad... definitely be good enough to shut some of the whiners up
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

The way that i am accustomed to the claim rule working is very similar, but the claim expense was for replacement value (back when ROAR rules specified $28 max for stock motors). $90 might shut some folks up, too. I agree that it must be done by someone in the same class and racing that day. My question is what do you do if two or more folks want to claim a motor? Next closest in finishing order? That one has me stumped.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

I've never successfully geared a motor that low in VTA. Of course I've never run on a straight longer that 90' either. From some seriously hot motors I've tried to melt in the past (really, really bad math), I just don't think I'd want to start at 3.1 and gear shorter.
That was with a 90ft straight (thunder RC in nashville). In order to pull a ratio that deep, you have to make sure the rest of the car is right (carrying good corner speed, VERY free drivetrain, etc) but it is possible.

But Im with you, a 3.1 would make me pucker up a little bit.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Im looking for a VTA set up for a new kid getting in the sport that has a TC6. Looked at petit rc and only found 1. And this forum is a bitch to search using a mobil device. Could someone post a couple links. He will be racing on meduim-high bite carpet. Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

Originally Posted by NutDriver
The way that i am accustomed to the claim rule working is very similar, but the claim expense was for replacement value (back when ROAR rules specified $28 max for stock motors). $90 might shut some folks up, too. I agree that it must be done by someone in the same class and racing that day. My question is what do you do if two or more folks want to claim a motor? Next closest in finishing order? That one has me stumped.
Run a hand out motor, something like the Speed Passion or a Trackstar to keep it cheap. Have everyone buy a motor at the beginning of the year, mark them with a number and let people bid on any motors they want to run that week. Split the money between driver and race series for door prizes or victory cash. Do 4-5 points races and give out a cheap trophy plus at the end of the year everyone has a motor to keep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.