Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello all, new guy here trying to work on a setup for a VTA class car.. I read the specs and from what rcplanet is advertising it seems like this is a spec motor and esc combo (Novak 2S Ballistic Boxx VTA Edge ESC and Boss 25.5T Motor Race Combo) but just wanted to make sure it would be legal.. thanks in advance..
Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

yup, legal for usvta
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flyingm
I know old school doesn't always fit with today's high tech world, and sometimes I feel like John Henry against the big machine. But I appreciate those that appreciate the way I still do things.

Thanks for your support.....it's all made in the U.S.A.

Gary Mcallister
If this is "old school" Gary, keep 'em coming! Looks and fits great. I just finished this one last night for myself. More pics in the VTA Paint thread.

Scott

Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
What settings are most people running on the novak edge in vta with the 25.5?
I would like to know the answer to this to. I know that VTA is SPEC racing but I would hate to get blown out by people who bought the GTB2. Is the Edge slower than the GTB2 in VTA?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustWill75
I would like to know the answer to this to. I know that VTA is SPEC racing but I would hate to get blown out by people who bought the GTB2. Is the Edge slower than the GTB2 in VTA?
VTA is all about handling. The fast guys are be fast, because their set-up on their car works, not because of the esc.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

All of the approved ESCs don't have boost/timing abilities.

Where others may be faster down the straight would depend on their final drive ratio (FDR) and motor timing.

Since my local track just expanded the TC track to make it larger, a bunch of us are now running FDRs near 3.7 and motor timing at the max setting of 45 degrees. Just make sure you have some cooling for the motor!

Last edited by DarthRacer; 08-18-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
What settings are most people running on the novak edge in vta with the 25.5?
Settings will depend on your driving style. I always set my Novaks to the lowest minimum brake, drag brake, minimum drive, and deadband settings; linear curve; and brake endpoint to 100%.

Is the Edge slower than the GTB2 in VTA?
No. I have both, and they are equally capable.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

I have the Novak Club Spec in one of my cars. Its just an Edge with the programming fixed.

Anyone know what the default settings are?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's really getting bad when you have to complain about a better driver. It's the set-up of the car- then learning to drive it. Add gear ratio changes.Then after all that your still slower maybe your not as fast or just a better driver than you - beats you. I measure my success in this class on how close I can come the the guy thats been beating everyone all year long. He better,no matter what I do- I just have fun !If I did not then I would have to take up a new hobby.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do not believe so, though some may say otherwise.

Today's club race at our track was a little smaller than usual, but the quickest times today were, in no particular order. GTB2, Havoc 3s, SP Citrix, and I think GTB. I still use the Havoc personally. FDR's are all over the map. from 3.4-3.8. There was about a .3sec split on fast lap between 4 of us, it did truly come down to the guy who made the least amount of mistakes. The car with the "fast lap" did not win however.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

I only asked the question because I'm a off and on VTA racer who just so happened to have a EDGE combo in my car that I'm getting ready for the VTA SOUTHERN NATIONALS...... Most people that know me well, know that I don't make excuses for getting my tail kicked. I just like to get rid of all the variables.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I own both an Edge and GTB2. I've never raced the Edge in VTA but I have swapped between the two in USGT and can't tell any difference. On paper the GTB2 has slightly lower resistance but I don't think it comes through as anything noticeable.

I recently fried my GTB2 during a race (user error!) and had to revert back to my old GTB backup. My laptimes improved by almost 2/10ths with no other changes to the car. I honestly think the speed controls performed identically and the faster laps were due to improved track conditions and my becoming more familiar with the layout.

The fastest guy at the track yesterday (Leisure Hours - Joliet, IL) was running an Edge. His fast lap was 15.7 as was the second place car (Speed Passion). The rest of the field ran 16.4 to 17.3 with a total of 10 cars running all types of legal speed controls.

Bottom line here is to reinforce the fact that all the Speedos on the list have been tested on the track to insure that none has an advantage over the others. Just run the one you like best and cross that off the list of things to worry about in your search for faster laps.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have both a GTB2 and an Edge and have run both in VTA at different times. I can't say as one is any faster than the other. The GTB2 may be a bit smoother in power delivery, but that doesn't seem to equate to much in the way of speed. I like them both and have had no trouble with either. The Edge's smaller footprint can be an advantage in your car's layout.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

that is what im noticing right now. TC4 with Futaba BLS452, 4PL reciever and a Novak EDGE fit much better. Thanks for the info guys you all have been a big help. Now its time for practice, practice and more practice. Im getting ready for the USVTA SOUTHERN NATIONALS in Music City.....
Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I need to get a pair of low profile shocks for a modified HPI pro 4 front shock tower. Does anyone know of some good LP shocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.