Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigcracing
Just picked up a 6.1 I was wondering what gearing I should start at for 25.5 motor. starting with a 3.8 FDR is that a good start?

Thanks Chris
it realy depends on track length and how tight its layed out 96 50 gave me the best performance on our tack at 3.84 and timing is at 20 deg
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default bodies

Does anyone have an opinion as to which VTA body handles the best? I've been using the 68 Camaro but, I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertottius
Does anyone have an opinion as to which VTA body handles the best? I've been using the 68 Camaro but, I'm curious to hear other people's opinions.
Protoform J71 because of its light weight. I have weighed several bodies and this one is typically 50g lighter than anything else on the market, even with its bolt on nose. Moving 50g lower in the chassis is always a benefit.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by old_dude
Protoform J71 because of its light weight. I have weighed several bodies and this one is typically 50g lighter than anything else on the market, even with its bolt on nose. Moving 50g lower in the chassis is always a benefit.
Wow! Is it really that much lighter? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

As long as you don't hit anything to often protoform J71 is a great body. I say it like this because I don't put ridiculous amounts of shoe goo on the body like some people do to make them more durable. When setup right you have no wheel rub and feels very neutral at full speed. I thought about going back to the 68 but the J71 just works for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL 50g. At the Southern Nationals my car weighed 1700 grams. Obviously I need a way to make lighter weight light buckets. I wasn't fast but if you tried to hack me you had better think twice. Its like trying to nerf a dump truck.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JFuel11
At Hotslots Raceway in Urbana IL we are running all USVTA rules other than the following:

- No Driver Figure in Body Required
- Any roar approved blinky speedo but most have the USVTA approved esc already.

That is it and we have a great class started... Had 11 VTA cars last week.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
thats great guys...more tracks running VTA the merrier...

is there a reason for not running the driver figure...just asking...Ive run one since VTA was started even before the rule..I like the idea of somebody helping me behind the wheel...lol..I started using the Tamiya Grasshopper driver in early 2008...then did another one for the Nationals...still look good today
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
To answer your question from my standpoint, I think for most new racers (including myself at the time I started) a driver figure was ONE MORE THING that I had to buy. The LHS didn't stock anything remotely close to what I needed so I was on my own to find one. Honestly, a driver figure seemed like a subtle nuance to me at the time (like saying you must use the window wiper decals for example), so when our track Director said it wasn't necessary for local VTA racing, I quit worrying about a driver figure in seconds.

Of course for the offical USVTA events, if its a requirement, its a requirement. I don't suggest for any reason that it shouldn't be. Anybody who's into VTA enough to attend an official event I'm sure doesn't mind the driver requirement.

I know others will disagree with this, but I think as long as the proportions of the "driver" are close to 1/10th scale, I enjoy seeing and using unique/funny drivers. Just adds more fun to the class IMO. I'm running a skull driver right now in my 69 Camaro. I think he (yes, I checked...) looks great in there.

If the rules were super specific that it had to be a scale scale driver, that would be a bummer I think. Of course, that's just my opinion... My wife has explained to me on many occasions that my opinion is usually wrong before I even say it!

I agree with all stated above, because we have many new onroad racers that are getting started on a budget or newer modeling skill set, it would have held up racers getting started and to the track to require the driver figure. I think it does look cool and I would not discourage anyone from adding one. We just felt at the club level it was not mandatory in order to get the class up and running. Same reason for the roar blinky esc so people could get racing without new equipment if needed.

When people are purchasing new equipment or upgrading they are encouraged to purchase the specific USVTA equipment.

Just as stated above I have no issue at all with larger events adhering tightly to the rules.

this my friends is a perfect example of simple questions and answers without any extra

thank you guys
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is no "best" body in VTA. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but I've seen or read where virtually all of the VTA bodies have won significant races. Choose the car you think looks the best and have fun.

-----------

One of the advatanges of the HPI Camaro is that it is a 1-piece body and it is extremely durable. There are other 1-piece bodies available - Pegasus Mustang & McCallister Mustang. Both of these bodies are light and fairly durable.

Some people do go a bit overboard with shoe goo, but it is usually to deal with issues with a body that is not reinforced. The HPI 'Cuda & Challenger have thin lexan in the front (due to the molding process), so a bit of reinforcement helps the nose keep its shape.

As far as weight, I made the A-Main at the Southern Nationals running a FTTC4 with a front diff and a reinforced 'Cuda body and my car weighed over 1600 grams. I was as fast as anyone that day. If I had worked on my setup more I would have easily been in the top 5.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

I think Ive run just about everybody on the list minus 1 or 2...and they all have similar feels...the best thing really is to pick which car you like best and set it up for your chassis and driving style...

for me I like the 68 HPI Camaro for its durability...the 69 Z28 is good too, but you have to add the rear bumper...The Cuda/Challenger handle great, but like the J71 are thin....the Boss Stang is to top heavy for high bite(imo)....

oh..the 1965 Mustang from HPI is perfect...imo...I love it, its as neutral as any of them. It seems to be the middle of all the bodies..and my favorite
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-nationals-2009-037.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-07-19-08_2127.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-img_6270.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-wednesday-night-ta-064.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-018.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Your ride is as heavy as mine...fat kids rule!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

At Hotslots Raceway in Urbana IL we are running all USVTA rules other than the following:

- No Driver Figure in Body Required
- Any roar approved blinky speedo but most have the USVTA approved esc already.

That is it and we have a great class started... Had 11 VTA cars last week.
You guys are only 1 1/2 hours from me! Might be up for a road trip for sure. We come to Champaign Urbana every year to play at E-FEST. (http://www.hobbico-efest.com/)

When, what times do you run VTA? Is it every week? Sounds like you have a good turnout.

http://www.hotslots132.com/hotslots-...way-a-264.html
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Nevermind on the schedule. I found it. Saturday nights. That's do-able.

http://www.hotslots132.com/hotslots-...ive-a-289.html
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I think Ive run just about everybody on the list minus 1 or 2...and they all have similar feels...the best thing really is to pick which car you like best and set it up for your chassis and driving style...

for me I like the 68 HPI Camaro for its durability...the 69 Z28 is good too, but you have to add the rear bumper...The Cuda/Challenger handle great, but like the J71 are thin....the Boss Stang is to top heavy for high bite(imo)....

oh..the 1965 Mustang from HPI is perfect...imo...I love it, its as neutral as any of them. It seems to be the middle of all the bodies..and my favorite
I will agree with that Miron. I have had a blast running this class even though it took me a year or so to change my mind about runnig it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Seems to be exactly what I figured...just a personal preference. I've seen big race winners with all different bodies.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Nevermind on the schedule. I found it. Saturday nights. That's do-able.

http://www.hotslots132.com/hotslots-...ive-a-289.html
Yeah man, come on out! Racing starts at 6, but everyone starts showing up around 3. VTA class has been pretty strong the past few weeks. Only other classes running at this time are
1/12
Sedan
SCT
F1 (No races yet, everyone is still getting their cars put together, hopefully tomorrow though)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.