Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Originally Posted by mingnon
have to disagree on that one, we have received questions from Germany, Brazil, New Zealand (just to name a few).

I wouldn't short sell this class at all, it has plenty of appeal, probably the biggest being that people can identify with the bodies (unlike TC bodies), here in Australia (and other places i'm sure) there is allways laughter, joking and plenty of fun on race days. And probably the most important (and we do it here) its a family time (dads/mums + kids).
Cool that you receive some questions that doesn't mean there is a class or will be. I have nothing against or for the class, just sharing info.
2wdrive and mingnon, I want to thank both of you for sharing info. I think that it is great to hear from each of you in two different parts of the world (Netherlands and Australia). Keep the info coming!

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
How about the growing "Classic" Class in Germany? They may not call it VTA, but they are running the same bodies that we run in U.S. VTA.

You can read more about the "Classic" class on this web page --> http://www.hpieurope.com/news.php?la...sue=2007102601
It is a sponsord event from LRP and HPI Called the LRP-HPI Challenge. There are 5 classes during that event of which the classic class is one. (in 2013 there are 4 classes as the formula 1 class has been dropped). They have to use a specific chassis and HPI bodies.They use LRP 17.5t motors and esc. Yes the body is from HPI it is a TA , you are right but there is no class outside the LRP/HPI event. On the local LRP/HPI events the classic class gets 6-8 cars. The big lrp/hpi event had more. Just sharing info.
So you are saying that after the LRP-HPI event is over, none of the R/C clubs in Germany are racing the "Classic" class?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default VTA

Originally Posted by slashdriver
Someone is out of their mind and has missed the entire point of VTA. Sad...
Yes they are. I just don't get it because USVTA has supported this track back when they would have their 5 race traveling series here in the midwest. This track was one of the included stops. Walk the pits now and you see Tekin ESC's, Phantom 6900 100C lipos and now the phantom motors, all running at between 1420 and 1460 grams when we actually weighed them last week.

The top 5 VTA cars run .4 sec slower per lap then the 17.5 rubber class. This track is small 60x30 with fast lap of 6.1 for 17.5 rubber and 6.5 for VTA.

The problem is with people watching and other racers interested in the class as they walk around and look at the cars they have no idea what real (USVTA) is about so i want to advertise it on my car "USVTA LEGAL" so that i can show and explain to them what the class is supposed to be. Hey everyone likes the driver in there because he's cool.

Just know if you guys race at Michiana RC to check their rules before you come. 1450 grams and with roar motor and esc.

Sorry about the rant.
Mike

Last edited by miket3; 11-28-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
Originally Posted by slashdriver
My local track has really messed up VTA here. They said their running roar rules ( as a few now have the $160 phantom motor)
Mike
Someone is out of their mind and has missed the entire point of VTA. Sad...
Yes they are. I just don't get it because USVTA has supported this track back when they would have their 5 race traveling series here in the midwest. This track was one of the included stops. Walk the pits now and you see Tekin ESC's, Phantom 6900 100C lipos and now the phantom motors, all running at 1460 grams when we actually weighed them last week.

The top 5 VTA cars run .4 sec slower per lap then the 17.5 rubber class. This track is small 60x30 with fast lap of 6.1 for 17.5 rubber and 6.5 for VTA.

The problem is with people watching and other racers interested in the class as they walk around and look at the cars they have no idea what real (USVTA) is about so i want to advertise it on my car "USVTA LEGAL" so that i can show and explain to them what the class is supposed to be. Hey everyone likes the driver in there because he's cool.

Sorry about the rant.
Mike
FWIW, I learned that VTA racing is much more enjoyable for the racers and the spectators when all VTA cars have the same horsepower. It allows for nail-biting door-to-door racing which is exciting for everybody all around. At the end of the VTA A-Main the car that finishes 1st truly comes down to which driver could keep the cleanest line and avoid all the turmoil on the track.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

yep same here. Maybe my car being 100 GRAMS heavier will do better when the "turmoil" happen..LOL.

Last edited by miket3; 11-22-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thats why I like running at Thunder R/C in Nashville, a 2hr 10min trip from home. There is no tech, but everyone runs legal setups anyway. Walk thru the pits and everyone has the right stuff. I'm sure there may be a car or 2 that weighs a little lite, but thats about it. Everyone that races there respects the class and showcases driving skills/setup skill as their edge. Thats the way it should be, RESPECT FOR THE CLASS
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am thankful for USVTA because:

- It has improved my driving ability (through close racing)
- It has helped my pocketbook (because I haven't needed to buy to be competitive)
- I can drive realistic looking bodies (and pretend I still own my '67 Fastback Mustang)

Thanks to everyone who keeps this a great class.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My local track has really messed up VTA here. They said their running roar rules ( as a few now have the $160 phantom motor)
This is the reason there is the motor rule that only allows the Novak 25.5s. Check out the screenshot below. That's just nuts.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-overpriced-motor.jpg  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
So you are saying that after the LRP-HPI event is over, none of the R/C clubs in Germany are racing the "Classic" class?
Just to be sure I checked many online results from races and only the LRP-HPI Challenge seems to have the classic class. There is not a classic entry during other races as far as I have seen. I might have missed some but not much.

Basicly 1/10 touring car is THE class. Other classes are niche classes that have a small hardcore following. Pro10, F1 and some other classes in the mix are still being driven on some clubs here and there but the major class by far is TC. Events such as german masters pro10 get 40+ drivers and RC lemans series driven in the netherlands, Germany and belgium attracts 25 pro10 drivers per race and growing slightly now (non sponsord races). The f1 class during the last ETS had 33 or so entries so it got some more entries than before as well. For indoors there are 1/12 etc as well ofcourse.

There is no buzz on the forums about the classic as a club class. Maybe there are some that drive the car outside the lrp event but on German forums the classic are only mentioned in relation to the LRP Challenge. It seems to be safe to presume it just isn't there in big numbers. There is nothing on Dutch, Belgian or French forums either. If there was something being driven here and there I am sure it would be on the forums.

Overhere in real motorsports it is touringcar, F1, and some other races in the mix. Touringcar, DTM and the WTCC (deutsche tourenwagen Masters and World Touring Car Championship) is popular as it is being driven here in real life and being shown on tv. Reason 1:10 TC is popular I gues. There is no TA history overhere. (as far I am aware of)

Last edited by 2wdrive; 11-22-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes they are. I just don't get it because USVTA has supported this track back when they would have their 5 race traveling series here in the midwest. This track was one of the included stops. Walk the pits now and you see Tekin ESC's, Phantom 6900 100C lipos and now the phantom motors, all running at between 1420 and 1460 grams when we actually weighed them last week.

Sorry about the rant.
Mike
I think I know which track you may be speaking of. If the local rules help grow the class as a whole, then run it, is how I look at it, and then morph over to the AREA's more common rule set.

No racers, no racing, no LHS that has a track to race at.

If this track is the one I am thinking of then they/you are in the middle of possibly 3 others within 2 1/2 hours using USVTA rules. That would make it hard for travel amongst the 4.

History throwback-

Leading up to the motor switch from 21.5 to 25.5's, we were starting to see that the top 5-6 drivers were within that .5-.7 lap time window of the stock TC's at our facility. I am sure others started to see the same thing as everyone figured out how to go faster.

I purchased a number of 25.5 stator's and sent them out for testing to some of the "fast guys" in various states. I believe all but one is still being used to this day and one of them regularly whoops my butt on tuesday's,anyway.

Once the 25.5's were used, depending on track size and conditions, the 1-1.5 second split was restored and we started to see closer lap times to the original 4cell 27t combination.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and Happy VTA racing no matter what rule set or area you are in.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

On the dining room table for thanksgiving.........2 USVTA cars taken apart for service to get ready for friday night VTA racing at OneLug R/C. Thats prioritizing at its best!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mingnon
list of bodies we are allowed to use, rubedude is the body man http://www.rctech.net/forum/10685123-post175.html
Looking at this list...I see:

"NEW # BOL2265 1974 Talladega"

What is a "1974 Talladega"? Ford only made the Torino Talladegas for two years (1968-69).
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Looking at this list...I see:

"NEW # BOL2265 1974 Talladega"

What is a "1974 Talladega"? Ford only made the Torino Talladegas for two years (1968-69).
I think you'll find it's just a typo, cause if you Google 'BOL2265', it is a 1969 Talladega.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Happy Thanksgiving, to my family and friends. I hope all of you are blessed today, Myron BATTMAN Kinnard
Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
I think you'll find it's just a typo, cause if you Google 'BOL2265', it is a 1969 Talladega.
Thanks Any idea who has 'em in stock? I don't see it at RJSpeed.

*EDIT*: never mind; found it
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just stopping in to say happy thanksgiving to all you USVTA racers
Hope you all have a great day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.