Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrading

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to do any substantial upgrades to Nikko electric cars or if it's not worth the trouble...

The nicer one is a 1/10 dodge viper and i'm not sure what the other one is but it's not as big. does anyone know if i can save some money by upgrading these for a little more performance (mainly speed) or are Nikko cars considered unworthy of such a thing?

I know nothing about r.c., but from what I've been reading, it seems that most of the times just sticking a better battery in one has all the difference in the world. would that apply to these? and if so, what would you recommend? ditto for motors, tires, etc...

My wife and I are adopting a child who has a special fondness for r.c. cars, but his are the dime-store variety. Through wish-lists (he is staying with us as a foster child while the courts settle everything, hence the wish lists) he received two(!) Nikko electric cars.

OUR present to him was going to be a decent car that could go offroad, like a mini-t(?) and my wife's present to me was going to me something similair, so that we could build a track in the backyard and race each other.

but with two electric cars, i'd hate to go out and buy two more just so that we can have them go offroad (think schoolteacher's salary). I know Nikko cars aren't exactly high performance and i was kinda hoping to get him something special that had some zip!

?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

oh, in case it helps, here's the specs for the viper:

540SH Mabuchi motor
BATTERY REQUIREMENTS (INCLUDED):
VEHICLE: 1 x 7.2V RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
PACK AND CHARGER
TRANSMITTER: 1 X 9V

Digital proportional steering and speed control
Lightweight, durable lexan body
Independent suspension system
Trim adjustments for steering and forward / reverse
Road-hugging rubber racing tires
Differential gear for better traction
Interchangeable steering on transmitter for left or right handers
Old 12-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Probably not, but take it to the track and see, if not buy a more competitive car.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is not much u can do to those kind of cars, but installing a better battery is going to give you more run time and speed.

Typical radio shack pack you will get is nicad at maybe 2400mah. A current top lever RC racing pack is a NIHM 3300 pack.

3300s have more voltage and run time, get them in a stick pack config and it should drop right into your car

Old 12-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

I think you could get better motors and batteries, but I doubt your electronics can handle the extra heat that comes w/ the speed. I would recommend you get the mini T's or get the team associated RC18T. Both are cheap, and should run for about 40 mins on one battery. The best 7.2 volt pack for the Nikko could last maybe 15 minutes.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

(hey, Clemson! That's my neck of the woods)... Anyway, thank you'll for taking the time to respond. I sorta figured as much, but it was worth a shot to ask...

Do you guys think used Mini-T's will be selling for less after Christmas and the RC1810 have been out for a while? I know it's a vague question, but I'm thinking that the people who have been in the RC hobby for a while might be able to make a decent guess based on past market results...
Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure about the value dropping, and I don't have one myself, but they are very cool little cars!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check Ebay for used Mini t's Since you and your soon to be son will not realy be racing, a stock setup is great as it is fun yet completely upgradeable. I will warn of one thing the Mini t is prone to breakage if you are hard on it. As with any R/C vehicle but more so with the Mini T. I have personaly seen three break with little more than crashing off a rail. But if you are wanting a off road that still has replacement parts and is durable. Try the Mini Giant from Venom, I have seen one take a beating form a 6 year old terror of a child and still ask for more and better yet it is only about $100.00 each Ready To Run. Just add 12 AA. SO I hope this has helped you.
Take Care and GOD Bless You and Yours this Holiday Season.
Stephen <><
Old 12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

You can try a Tamiya dyno tuned 540 motor (around $20), and get a good 7.2 volt assembled pack from promatch or one of the other battery companies, thats about all your going to be able to get to spice a nikko up.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Well, srry to put it this way about your car, but Nikko is basically a toy company, which makes your r/c car a toy with no possible chance of upgradibng.. Unless your reaaalllly an expert at modifying things. Well, if your thinking getting a better car, as in an electric car, go with the AE TC3 RTR. I think it's the best RTR electric right now^_^