Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Have you weighed the hard bumper compared to the stock bumper? I was at the Reedy race in 2011. Bowser was helping me with my car all week along with Andrew Hardman and his Pit guy Corey. We tried everything to get my car to turn and it just simply pushed. Corey even built my car just like andrews and it was 1 sec a lap slower on that layout before qualifying started. Finally bower picked the car up by the bumper just before the last practice session. He laughed and said take that off and put a stock one on. I told him he was nuts to say it was that big of a difference but proceeded to do it. Stock one weighed 5-6 grams. Hard bumper weighed 34 grams. Car picked up the second I couldnt find and was great the rest of the weekend and on pace.

Lesson learned for me.

EA
Stock xray bumper is 5 grams.
Parma bumper is 11 grams.
Hard xray bumper is 21 grams (not 34).
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks Ethan. I'll be there on Sunday. Nice job at the Nats!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Stock xray bumper is 5 grams.
Parma bumper is 11 grams.
Hard xray bumper is 21 grams (not 34).
They vary greatly. The one I had was 34 grams (not 21) regardless of what yours weighs. I dont want to get into a pissing contest about it but we can.....

To the others glad that I could bring some info for you that may benefit you.

EA
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

They vary greatly. The one I had was 34 grams (not 21) regardless of what yours weighs. I dont want to get into a pissing contest about it but we can.....

EA
I wondered if that was possible to vary based on density variations. 34 does seem like a statistical anomaly though based on the few I weighed. Unless there was a change in the product?

Makes me wonder about the weights of the other bumper parts and upgrades. Such as the longer lower brace or graphite upper brace.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by or8ital
I wondered if that was possible to vary based on density variations. 34 does seem like a statistical anomaly though based on the few I weighed. Unless there was a change in the product?

Makes me wonder about the weights of the other bumper parts and upgrades. Such as the longer lower brace or graphite upper brace.
I asked martin about it after I found that out and he said depending on where they get the foam from it can vary by as much as a half ounce that would make sense. I'll go get mine and weigh it later. I Think I still have it and didnt throw it away.

EA
Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EA
More data is always good.

Credit granted.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I weighed mine @ 28g
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default bumper

good reading on the front bumper...never would of thought

i've got my car just over 1380 w/ the hard bumper (xray), so changing it would mean adding weight elsewhere. no weight added on chassis at all right now. Car is handling pretty good now. But now i can mess around w/ another adjustment, if i feel it is pushing.

Interesting....
Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I weighed mine @ 28g
Sounds like a pretty good variation. Wonder if the Parma bumpers have the variation? Based on the Parma one I weighed it seems like possibly a good compromise.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just a quick question to all of you regarding the bumper questions, since i've been using it since 2009, if the weight is the problem of the hard bumper, would it be correct in theory to shave off some of parts of the hard bumper to make it lighter or same to the weight of the stock bumper?

With the weight being close or the same with the stock, i would presume the handling characteristics would have improved or equal to when using the stock bumper?

furthermore, where would you shave the weight off the bumper since taking some parts of it will have an affect on its hardness? could we just drill holes in the middle of it? or carve on its edges at the front?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by alecladanga
Just a quick question to all of you regarding the bumper questions, since i've been using it since 2009, if the weight is the problem of the hard bumper, would it be correct in theory to shave off some of parts of the hard bumper to make it lighter or same to the weight of the stock bumper?

With the weight being close or the same with the stock, i would presume the handling characteristics would have improved or equal to when using the stock bumper?

furthermore, where would you shave the weight off the bumper since taking some parts of it will have an affect on its hardness? could we just drill holes in the middle of it? or carve on its edges at the front?

If you can find some pics of Paul L or Hagbergs car I am pretty sure they cut the ends off the bumper. It leaves no protection for the front wheels and arms but still protects the middle of the car in front of the bulkheads. Sometimes Paul will run a hard bumper and sometimes he runs the stock one. I think he even cuts the stock bumper as well in the same way.

I know that Paul uses the bumper as a tuning aid. So the answer to your question is yes you could drill holes in it or cut the ends off to loose some of the weight you gain with it and it still be effective.

EA
Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alecladanga

I don't think you are going to be able to cut enough out of the heavy bumper to get it down to the stock bumpers weight, certainly not without making it so weak you may as well have used the standard item in the first place.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had two complete bumper assemblies last night, one with the hard bumper, and the other with the stock bumper. The stock was 20g and the hard was 39.5g (this is with all the plastic pieces attached).

I tried the car with both and it wasn't a huge change, certainly not 1 second a lap, but the car felt better mid corner.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks EA & Skiddins!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.