2004 U.S. Indoor Championships @ Cleveland, OH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 U.S. Indoor Championships @ Cleveland, OH

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

why u guys use these "walls" in the u.s. instead of "real" curbs?pretty "untouchable"......
Old 11-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

99% of carpet tracks in the USA use barriers in a similar style. Nothing wrong with curbs, but this is they way they have always done it.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

how you gonna pour a concrete curb in a hotal ball room anyway?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jason
99% of carpet tracks in the USA use barriers in a similar style. Nothing wrong with curbs, but this is they way they have always done it.
Don't you US drivers think it would be an idea to change this? Are there no moves to try and change this to something more car-friendly and something that would improve the racing? Must say I have always found it hard to understand why you use this system...

Originally posted by DonkeyPuncher
how you gonna pour a concrete curb in a hotal ball room anyway?
Well you don't need concrete to make "curbs" that work well. Wood, plastic or metal works really well if they are well made.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I dont see anything wrong with our system. If your good, you can run tight to the tubes and dont need the "cushion" area you get with a curb. I think they call that space perception?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by nashrcracer
4x4 pvc pipe see it better here
http://www.nashrcracer.com/cleveland...rstshots16.htm
This square pipe is available from Orchard Supply Stores for about $4 per section (10' long?). Stockton and Gilroy use it for their carpet tracks.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 11-25-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Leini
why u guys use these "walls" in the u.s. instead of "real" curbs?pretty "untouchable"......
Hi Leini,

The use of the PVC piping as barriers is really kind to our cars and can also eliminate many instances of hacking created by jumping curbs. Pre-made rounded corners of varying degrees made of strips of PVC with sections of square PVC sandwiched inside can have a certain amount of "give" to be friendly and forgiving. PVC is lightweight and easy to reconfigure.

And we have a lot more potential to change track configurations because we are not limited by fixed curbs either.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How do you fasten the 4x4 PVC to the carpet or hold it in place?

Thanks
John
Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JohnB

Thanks
John
Industrial velcro. Comes in 2" wide rolls by 20-25' long. Cut to 4-6" pieces. Take 3-4 pieces to hold down a 10' length of PVC pipe.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Can someone please tell me how Anthony Ballard is doing? thanks!!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks
John
at the champs last year it was metal angles and screws

wvracer
Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
This square pipe is available from Orchard Supply Stores for about $4 per section (10' long?). Stockton and Gilroy use it for their carpet tracks. Now, even Santa Cruz uses it for their outdoor track.
Santa Cruz uses wood 2x4 construction and flexible bender board for the teardrop/corners.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default wood track walls

i like the 2x4 (wood) walls cause one hard hit could break the car just like in real racing. you hit a wall with a real race car and it's done for the day. anyway, the 2x4 walls also help prevent cars from jumping lanes. if we put curbs out there the cars would be jumping the lanes all the time. best thing to do...keep it clean and don't hit the walls...
Old 11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by kentech
Don't you US drivers think it would be an idea to change this? Are there no moves to try and change this to something more car-friendly and something that would improve the racing? Must say I have always found it hard to understand why you use this system...
I assume you are talking about something akin to an "island" system, where instead of a wall-like barrier you have a gradual slope to define the barriers of the track. Much like the Tamiya USA track, or where the worlds were recently held.

These tracks are nice, but they aren't very practical for indoor carpet racing. Scotty Ernst made islands out of industrial foam for his track, and had them shaped, shaved and painted to look just like that. They worked, but there were a few major problems with them:

a) You become very limited in track design; either a few basic layouts, or build more islands
b) Drivers suffer less damage for hitting the curbs, so they typically have no qualms about running on the slope briefly, or even shorting the track
c) The wear on these pieces can be heavy, especially when marshals inadvertently step on the islands

In the end, the common barrier system like the one used at this race actually works well, allows for many adjustable layouts, and really doesn't break the cars too much.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Curbs would just launch the cars into the lanes of innocent drivers. The Road Rails system is like that and is frowned on alot for that very reason. Carpet racing doesnt have the open areas between lanes for curbs to be practical. I like the tracks that use a wall system and have dots places in the corners I think its the best comprimise between both systems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.