Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks for the info...I already called tamiya and they told me the same thing (send in my current chassis and I get the plastic one now until the finish the update on the new chassis)...All i hope outta this is that the plastic one doesnt hinder the performance of the car...I REALLY LOVE THIS CAR

Any news on what this new chassis will look like?? I know I've seen the 'rumors' but am wondering if there is any firmer info

thanks
Old 10-31-2001, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Wow

Well..

I have built up my 04R and I gotta say I'm impressed with the car.

I have the front one-way and centre one-way installed, and everything else is stock.

-1 front, -1.5 rear camber
stock toe in the front (as per instructions)
60 wt. associated oil all around
6mm front, 6.5mm rear ride height (so that it is 5mm under the raised portions)
Pit D24's with Yok Firm inserts on Yok 0 offset rims.
No sway bars...

The car just sticks to the ground!!!!

BUT...it pushes WAY too much...springs are definitely way too soft (too much chassis roll), and the mid one-way isn't doing a darn thing cuz the belt is so tight...I think if the belt was not so tight, that this car would have a lot more steering due to the mid one-way...

So first impressions...great...better than my TC3 Racer out of the box...the shocks are SOOOOO smooth!!!!....but definitely too soft to race with this set-up.

Can't wait for the new upgraded chassis so my mid one-way will work properly, and so I can lower my ride height by 1mm all the way around and lower my battery mounting by couple mm's as well...
Old 11-01-2001, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Hi all,
still waiting for my 04 spares
In the mean time, is there such a thing as 10 degree castor blocks which can have the torque rod attachment?

TIA!

~Alvin
Old 11-01-2001, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Cool. But I think you may be able to increase steering by adding on the stabilizers. Or possibly put harder springs in the rear.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Stiffer springs in the rear won't give more steering, but it will bring the back-end around quicker...2 different concepts.

I think I'll be trying stiffer springs all around...I hear the blue front, white rear is a good combo to start with.

With sway bars...reason why I took them off is because they were actually tweaking my suspension at ride height...I didn't want to bother working on them to sit neutral at ride height (if you do not make sure of this, it will make the car ill-handle).

And the stock sway bars are so thin, they won't do that much...going to stiffer bars may help.

But...the set-up with a functional mid one-way is much different than what I currently drive (a car with a mid one-way, but a belt so tight, it doesn't "one-way" at all).
Old 11-01-2001, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

neons - The nice thing about the shocks on the 04R is that you can use TC3 springs on it...I set mine up with cooper springs in the front and red springs in the rear and I think I have 80 wt oil in them the car has/had a slight push but nothing unbearable...I actually turned the dual-rate on my radio down since I had TOO much steering for my tastes and I was running the front sway-bar...The I changed to the front blue sway bar and the car was even better...You are right, the CAR IS DEFINITELY PLANTED when racing...even playing around, its hard to break the rear-end loose and do donuts

My next hop-up is gonna be the center one-way...at least, as soon as I get the new chassis for it
Old 11-01-2001, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Problem is that I want to race this car in the TCS...so I must use all Tamiya Parts...no use setting the car up w/my TC3 springs, then having to change it for racing TCS...so I'll get the Tamiya springs as soon as I can get to my LHS to pick them up...

I may try leaning the rear shocks down first, and setting rear camber to 2degrees instead of 1.5...hopefully this will bring the rear end around a little quicker.

I'm really starting to like this car....as long as I don't hit boards, it'll stay very very slop-free...
Old 11-02-2001, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

neons - I know what you mean by wanting to use all tamiya parts to run in the TCS...That's what I plan on doing with my 04R...But that doesnt stop me from using the TC3 springs every other place I race That's all I meant by that...Mine is staying all Tamiya except for springs until I run at a TCS event, then it'll run with Tamiya springs...

Besides, I had the TC3 springs around and didnt want to order 2 complete sets of Tamiya springs when I ordered the car
Old 11-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Default 1 Degree Toe In Rear Upright

Hi!
Preparing for my weekend race. Is 53428 the correct part number for the -1 degree toe-in rear upright?

Thank you!

Regards,
Alvin
Old 11-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Correct those are the 1 degree Hard toe-in rear uprights.

Remember, it will give you less rear end stability!

[edit] "it," not "i." [/edit]

Last edited by Aurra Sing; 11-04-2001 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Thanks! Just a tuning option
Old 11-04-2001, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Default Hudy Setup Board

Dudes, does anyone know the size of the 1/10 hudy setup-board? I going to get a piece of glass cut to that dimensions... thanks.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Alvin - sorry, don't know.

These are my first pics of my TA04R. Only managed to take two on my web cam.

Hop Up List

- Saddle Chassis
- Racing Body Post
- Hard Suspension Arms
- One-Way Center Pulley
- Carbon Damper Stays

I plan to get

- Aluminum Steering set (blue possibly)
- Aluminum Diff. Pulleys
- One Way Front Differential
- Lightweight Outdrives
Old 11-04-2001, 10:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Aurra sing,
nice ride, you could pass it off as a 414M. How does it handle?
Old 11-05-2001, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

It handles very well, and i've only raced it twice. Honestly, it's easier to setup than my Pro 3. I tried mod on my last race, and had just a tad of understeer. I'm gonna test out different ackerman positions and upper link positions on my next race on Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.