Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I thought IIC was going handout tires and you can't do that and have the FGX, as the rims are different than the F104, unlike touring cars
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tommy911t
Well put, open classes would require huge attendance.
But the question remains: why outlaw something if it isnt an advantage, just different?
Because you have no way of knowing the direction of the development in the future. It could become a very big advantage. While if you stick with all the same type of chassis the future development stays very similar across all brands.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
I thought IIC was going handout tires and you can't do that and have the FGX, as the rims are different than the F104, unlike touring cars
That depends on the tire. The Pit Shimizu tire mounts on the F104 foam tire rim which is different from the F10 foam tire rim and the F10 is allowed. The Ride tires fit fine on the F10 and the FGX but the stock F104 rims for rubber tires are taller than the F10 or the FGX so you can't use Tamiya rubber tires on the F10 without changing rims either. But the F10 and the F104 can use the same rim so if the rims are being provided with the tires they only have to bring in 1 type of rim. But since the tires are not pre-mounts there's no reason a FGX driver couldn't bring their own rims with them. As long as they stick with the Ride or HPI tires it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M4 Racing
A lot of valid points and it does sort of clear up the reasoning to why the FGX cars are outlawed. It's progression, better engineering, and the hobby will move forward. The FGX's need a class of their own. An "open" F1 per say, not an out right ban.
I think I said it on another thread, but 3racing should have just made the FGX 180mm, and no one would be moaning about how the extra 10mm makes it some sort of advantage.

A racer was at WC with an F1 car and it was dialed. Don't know who the guy was. It out handled all of the other F1's on the track. Curiosity got the better of me and the need to know what kind of car it was. Checked his car out when he was in the bathroom! Tamiya? lol No!! FGX baby!! This was the sickest F1 car EVER! Front links, carbon fiber everywhere, cantilever suspension, rubber tires, 1/18 scale threaded shocks, and more. Should've stuck around to ask him questions but, noticing the poor attitude of racers these days told me not to say anything to him. Wonder if there are pictures of it on the internet somewhere. Wasn't quick enough to snap a few myself
I doubt him being fast is due to the car. I'd wager a bet that a) He's a good driver and b) He knows how to setup a car.

RC car racing was suppose to be about having a fun time with friends and meeting new people. Unfortunately, winning and egos gets in the way.
Great point. One of the reasons I don't race weekly anymore. Grown men, toy cars and drama. No thanks!

Originally Posted by robk

This is a beautiful car. A work of art really.

You also can't buy it. Even if you could it would be a lot more expensive than an F104V2 in my estimation.
Definitely well hopped-up. Can anyone point me to the belt conversion kit?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
I think I said it on another thread, but 3racing should have just made the FGX 180mm, and no one would be moaning about how the extra 10mm makes it some sort of advantage.

I doubt him being fast is due to the car. I'd wager a bet that a) He's a good driver and b) He knows how to setup a car.

Great point. One of the reasons I don't race weekly anymore. Grown men, toy cars and drama. No thanks!

Definitely well hopped-up. Can anyone point me to the belt conversion kit?
That car is a complete one off. Rob was pointing out that it could be developed and mass marketed to this end.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This car belongs to my bud Charles Lightfoot

It was built for him by a Calvin Le, one of the Ventura RoadRunners crew

Last week at Camarillo, it took all Charles could do, and a little luck with traffic.... to keep from going a lap down to the 104 VII

Charles is a very good driver, but he is faster with his standard FGX so far....

There is no rule against this car competing in UF1 this season
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

No one knows the right F1 foam tires for FGX?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That depends on the tire. The Pit Shimizu tire mounts on the F104 foam tire rim which is different from the F10 foam tire rim and the F10 is allowed. The Ride tires fit fine on the F10 and the FGX but the stock F104 rims for rubber tires are taller than the F10 or the FGX so you can't use Tamiya rubber tires on the F10 without changing rims either. But the F10 and the F104 can use the same rim so if the rims are being provided with the tires they only have to bring in 1 type of rim. But since the tires are not pre-mounts there's no reason a FGX driver couldn't bring their own rims with them. As long as they stick with the Ride or HPI tires it wouldn't be an issue.
To clarify: the 104 and the FGX/ F10 do not use the same wheel. RIDE makes wheels for both cars that can be used with their rubber tire. This is what was done last year and the tires were pre mounted. The RIDE wheels on the 104 made the car 185mm.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

185 mm .. I wonder how there going to fix this problem for the F1 class , Can a 104 v1/v2 be adjusted to 180 .. or did they just let it go last year ..Im not sure I dont run a 104 (yet) ..
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mb racer
185 mm .. I wonder how there going to fix this problem for the F1 class , Can a 104 v1/v2 be adjusted to 180 .. or did they just let it go last year ..Im not sure I dont run a 104 (yet) ..
Don't recall a width check last year

Pretty sure this is what they DID check

Weight
Voltage
Blinky
Motor
Spec tires
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mkennedy
To clarify: the 104 and the FGX/ F10 do not use the same wheel. RIDE makes wheels for both cars that can be used with their rubber tire. This is what was done last year and the tires were pre mounted. The RIDE wheels on the 104 made the car 185mm.
Wow they came pre-mounted? That I didn't know...now if only they would do pre-mounts as a regular product instead of just for a special race.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Wow they came pre-mounted? That I didn't know...now if only they would do pre-mounts as a regular product instead of just for a special race.
I doubt Pre-Mounts would entice many racers to run RIDE tires for F1
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb racer
They didn't find the width issue out until qualifying started. They adjusted the rule for the 104. Everyone used the handout tires, so not that big of a deal.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommy911t
Well put, open classes would require huge attendance.
But the question remains: why outlaw something if it isnt an advantage, just different?
i gotta agree with this quote. things and rules always change within all types of racing around the world. if it stays the same, the class then dies. for example, indy car... almost died until they changed the body and engine rule. look at 24hr of lemans p1 class, they allowed two different types of engines, hybrid and diesel. nobody is complaining about it.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

on another note... anybody know when and if the ifs is coming out for this car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.