Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

I haven't had a problem with the ball diff. Now I admit the last ball diff I ran was 10+ years ago in a f102 but the fgx ball diff out of the box lowered my lap times, increased corner speed, made the car rotate the turns better, increased rear traction, and made the car more driveable on corner entry and exit. Maybe I got lucky and picked out a good one.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I haven't had a problem with the ball diff. Now I admit the last ball diff I ran was 10+ years ago in a f102 but the fgx ball diff out of the box lowered my lap times, increased corner speed, made the car rotate the turns better, increased rear traction, and made the car more driveable on corner entry and exit. Maybe I got lucky and picked out a good one.
strange, mine is probably one of the worst i have had! like Fred said its like a pepper grinder, either it slips or locks up. I am pretty sure its the thrust bearing. what surface are you on? I think that it will be the best choice but i need to make it work like it supposed to.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The ball diff in mine is the worst ball diff I have ever seen.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I'm pretty old school and have always favored a ball diff so I'll probably try to rub it down with a blend of secret herbs and spices to see what can be done to it. I'll play with the gear diff too. Hopefully I can get both options working nicely.
I had to take the gear diff apart and sand the fronts and backs of the beveled gears to get rid of the molding flash. Then I put it back together with no fluid and made sure it felt free with no binding and no gear skipping. Then tore it back apart and put in the fluid. I green slimed the half shafts every time they came back out.

For the ball diff, the Zero diff fits, but needs the diff outer gear instead of the belt pulley. It is a much better piece.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
strange, mine is probably one of the worst i have had! like Fred said its like a pepper grinder, either it slips or locks up. I am pretty sure its the thrust bearing. what surface are you on? I think that it will be the best choice but i need to make it work like it supposed to.
I'm running a technical carpet track. My ball diff is very smooth and extremely consistent. The car behaves the same from the green flag to checkered. I have also noticed that it doesn't take much adjustment to change the characteristics of the diff but it has never changed from where I set it. I have had it tight, loose, and perfect but it was always consistent regardless of how it was adjusted. Loose stayed loose tight stayed tight and perfect stayed perfect.

I wonder if there is a v1 and a v2 for the ball diff. I thought about trying the roller diff but the ball diff has done me well so far.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I had to take the gear diff apart and sand the fronts and backs of the beveled gears to get rid of the molding flash. Then I put it back together with no fluid and made sure it felt free with no binding and no gear skipping. Then tore it back apart and put in the fluid. I green slimed the half shafts every time they came back out.

For the ball diff, the Zero diff fits, but needs the diff outer gear instead of the belt pulley. It is a much better piece.
I did the same thing and my diff is pretty smooth...but I did notice like Fred that there is a lot of drag in the o-rings even before I assembled the diff...I've built 3 different gear diffs from 3 different manufacturers and noticed the same thing with all of them. Just came to think that was the nature of a gear diff eventually.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I did the same thing and my diff is pretty smooth...but I did notice like Fred that there is a lot of drag in the o-rings even before I assembled the diff...I've built 3 different gear diffs from 3 different manufacturers and noticed the same thing with all of them. Just came to think that was the nature of a gear diff eventually.
I built the v2 gear diff for my sakura zero and it had noticeably less o ring drag compared to the v1 but is was still not as smooth as the spec r or xray diff. I only installed 2 of the large shims instead of three so a little o ring pressure was relieved. Maybe this helped a little.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

FGX new front suspension from 3Racing.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
AI
Tech Initiate

Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-150.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-151.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-152.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-04-21-153.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I figure that is the nature of the gear diff too. It's not really meant to spin a lot in use, so I just let it be as long as it diffs properly without binding or grabbing while on the bench. I suppose pilot bearings might smooth that out, but the seal would drag a touch no matter what.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by over gear
FGX new front suspension from 3Racing.
I LIKE!!!! When will it be available, and how much?

Just need to find a way to adapt it to either the Exotek or McKune chassis!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I LIKE!!!! When will it be available, and how much?

Just need to find a way to adapt it to either the Exotek or McKune chassis!
Do you think they (3R) will offer a new kits soon with all these updates?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oXYnary
That would be cool if they did!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I built the v2 gear diff for my sakura zero and it had noticeably less o ring drag compared to the v1 but is was still not as smooth as the spec r or xray diff. I only installed 2 of the large shims instead of three so a little o ring pressure was relieved. Maybe this helped a little.
The Spec R I got for my Photon was pretty tight in the o-rings as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
wish they will do an upgrade kit and a higher level version with all the "optional" parts on. like zero s to zero.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.