Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Steve and Barry,

It was awesome having you guys at the iic. I just wanted to Thankyou guys for all your help during the week.

Also wanted to Thank Novak for sending you guys because I saw alot of guys asking for help.

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default GTB & GTB 4 Cell w/ 1S Lipo

Hi Steve

I am moving to the darkside, Lipo that is. Car will be a 12th scale with 1S Lipo (SMC 50C 4900mah)

RX is Spektrum SR3001
ESC GTB and GTB 4 cell
Digital Futaba Servo 9650

I believe the GTB will not support a 3.7V Lipo and probably will not operate, please confirm.

The 4 Cell GTB should operate with the Lipo but what is the LiPo cutoff voltage?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Steve,

A while back i heard of a Novak Endurance race. I got really excited about this, it sounded fun! (this was in december). I started talking to my work (Best Buy) about sponsoring me for the event and along with other people/companies and things seemed to be working out well on that side of things. Its a great marketing opportunity (especially for upcoming GTB replacement ESC hint hint).

Anyways, I was wondering if this was ever going to come to frution anytime soon? I heard OC Circuit was supposed to host it but it eventually faded to a whisp of a memory. An enduro on asphalt sounds awesome, would be nice to see this come back into the picture. Any words?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation 1s Lipo

Originally Posted by rinkrat99
Hi Steve

I am moving to the darkside, Lipo that is. Car will be a 12th scale with 1S Lipo (SMC 50C 4900mah)

RX is Spektrum SR3001
ESC GTB and GTB 4 cell

I believe the GTB will not support a 3.7V Lipo and probably will not operate, please confirm.

The 4 Cell GTB should operate with the Lipo but what is the LiPo cutoff voltage

Thanks

The GTB will work if you use the Novak Voltage booster! For that matter any ESC will work with a 1C Lipo as long as you use a Booster or a receiver pack!
Just my 2$
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey scuba, what is a default timing on NOVAK 13.5 Ballistic? I just got one last night and going to try this weekend
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
Thanks a ton! keep smiling that looks good on you!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Steve and Barry,

It was awesome having you guys at the iic. I just wanted to Thankyou guys for all your help during the week.

Also wanted to Thank Novak for sending you guys because I saw alot of guys asking for help.

Thanks again
Mike,

No problem! It's always a pleasure being of service!

Hi Steve

RX is Spektrum SR3001
ESC GTB and GTB 4 cell

The 4 Cell GTB should operate with the Lipo but what is the LiPo cutoff voltage?

Thanks
If you use our Smart Boost module you shouldn't have any trouble!

The ESC has some built in hardware that prevents the battery from being discharged below the minimum safe discharge voltage... not exactly intended for 1S LiPo cut off but it serves the same purpose!

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Steve,

A while back i heard of a Novak Endurance race. I got really excited about this, it sounded fun! (this was in december). I started talking to my work (Best Buy) about sponsoring me for the event and along with other people/companies and things seemed to be working out well on that side of things. Its a great marketing opportunity (especially for upcoming GTB replacement ESC hint hint).

Anyways, I was wondering if this was ever going to come to frution anytime soon? I heard OC Circuit was supposed to host it but it eventually faded to a whisp of a memory. An enduro on asphalt sounds awesome, would be nice to see this come back into the picture. Any words?
Haven't made any strides towards anything honestly due to how busy we are and the OC Circuit thing fell through.

I will try to ask around and see if we'd be interested in spear heading something like this right now!

Originally Posted by maxepower
The GTB will work if you use the Novak Voltage booster! For that matter any ESC will work with a 1C Lipo as long as you use a Booster or a receiver pack!
Just my 2$
Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
Hey scuba, what is a default timing on NOVAK 13.5 Ballistic? I just got one last night and going to try this weekend
All the Ballistics (except the 3.5) come set to 30 degrees of timing.

(The 3.5 is set to 25 degrees).
Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Scuba it was good seein you in Vegas buddy
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

thanks steve. I just see a nice opportunity to show off product (ballistic + next-gen GTB anyone?). Would be a nice point to add in.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Steve, nice to see you again at the IIC and have some opportunity to chat. I'm curious about if you've had a chance yet to test the LiPo booster with 4 cell NiMh. I'm about to convert my LiPo cars back to 4 cell but am debating using the booster with 4 cell as it would better power my Spektrum reciever and speed up the servo.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Hey Steve, nice to see you again at the IIC and have some opportunity to chat. I'm curious about if you've had a chance yet to test the LiPo booster with 4 cell NiMh. I'm about to convert my LiPo cars back to 4 cell but am debating using the booster with 4 cell as it would better power my Spektrum reciever and speed up the servo.
Hi Gadget,

I will try to do a little test in the next day or two ... but like I said before I am fairly certain it will not work quite right with 4 cell NiMH.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Cool...thanks for looking into it.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Steve

Thanks for the feedback but I have to respectfully disagree.

You stated that using the Booster with either the GTB or 4 cell GTB would be no issues.

Two Questions: I would assume that the GTB (non 4cell) would not be able to operate with a 3.7V input, the receiver and servo would see the 6V output not the ESC control circuits.

2nd question, what is the safe discharge voltage on the 4 cell GTB? 3.0V or 2.7V which is deemed safe for a LiPo

It sounds to me that the GTB series regardless of input voltage will operate but the question and need for a booster is for the RX and Servo not the ESC itself which I believe derives its Source voltage from the Battery Pack not the RX. I believe and could be wrong that the ESC delivers the power to the RX which in turn powers the Servo therfore the Booster is required.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default Heat Sink

Hi Mr. Steeve,

Is Novak will ever come out with the new heat sink that will serve a better heat dissipation for us onroad racers. I ran TC5R I think the heat sink fins should be parallel to the length of the car not against. I know the current heat sink would probably work better on a TC3 and 4 or other brand with a similar shaft design. It would be nice if there is something that will come out in the near future or if you can point me to the right direction.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
The Evicerator

Hi Steve

Thanks for the feedback but I have to respectfully disagree.

You stated that using the Booster with either the GTB or 4 cell GTB would be no issues.

Two Questions: I would assume that the GTB (non 4cell) would not be able to operate with a 3.7V input, the receiver and servo would see the 6V output not the ESC control circuits.

2nd question, what is the safe discharge voltage on the 4 cell GTB? 3.0V or 2.7V which is deemed safe for a LiPo

It sounds to me that the GTB series regardless of input voltage will operate but the question and need for a booster is for the RX and Servo not the ESC itself which I believe derives its Source voltage from the Battery Pack not the RX. I believe and could be wrong that the ESC delivers the power to the RX which in turn powers the Servo therfore the Booster is required.

Thanks
Hi Rink,

Electrically the 4 cell GTB and the standard GTB are similar ... we do alot of work to ensure that our equipment works with a wide range of input voltage, especially under "low voltage" operation. While they will both "work" without a booster or receiver pack, running them off a regulated 6V input is best.

If you do not use a booster or receiver pack of any type when using a single cell LiPo, you will see that all the electronics will only see a maximum voltage of whatever the Lipo pack hapens to be at. If the pack is charged up to 4.2 V, the internal regulator in the GTB or 4 cell GTB will only be able to output 4.2 V as it does not have any internal boost circuitry. Therefore, the servo and receiver will only be operating on 4.2V.

Remember what I said earlier about how we take a lot of time to ensure that there's a decent input voltage range for our products? Most popular (IE, other brand's) receivers do not operate on anything under 5 V very well.

Servos tend to operate at this voltage but their performance will be hindered.

When you use a boost circuit or receiver pack, you ensure that the electronics are being fed their recommended 6.0V

2nd question: The 4 cell GTB does not have a dedicated single cell LiPo cut off voltage... indeed it doesn't even have a 2S LiPo cut off capability.

That being said, we do have some other circuitry built in that prevents power from being delivered to the motor when the input voltage drops below around 3.3V (radio prioritry circuitry) and acts as a cut off of sorts.

Originally Posted by chrisfrom619
Hi Mr. Steeve,

Is Novak will ever come out with the new heat sink that will serve a better heat dissipation for us onroad racers. I ran TC5R I think the heat sink fins should be parallel to the length of the car not against. I know the current heat sink would probably work better on a TC3 and 4 or other brand with a similar shaft design. It would be nice if there is something that will come out in the near future or if you can point me to the right direction.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

We are working on something that will address your concerns!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Chris, Now that makes sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.