Classic 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Classic 1/12th-img_0476.jpgfrom the bolink diff
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I know that MRP sold a diff kit that fit all the early D drive axle cars. It was a hollowed out bolt that used a set screw to secure it to your existing straight axle. Looked like it used standard washers that you could buy at a bolt supply shop and the diff balls where pretty soft too, it also used this massive nylok nut for the adjustment.

Pretty sure it was out before the diffs came out for the 12e cars, maybe by a couple months.

Pls check your email ! Tks
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bob,

What chassis is that on the Associated? Is it aluminum?

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Just to keep the thread moving along.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Aluminum. PK conversion, using Corally battery trays, deck and body posts.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Hows this for an important drawing, as we are discussing diffs.

1981 I was studying design at school and the project I was working on was to design and build my own r/c car. I contacted Schumacher for help with designing the diff, and Cecil sent me a photocopy of his drawing of the first diff he designed for Robins Mardave car. You can see two options with different wheel designs, one being a new wheel and the other being a modified Mardave wheel. You can also see the first design also included a wheel cover.
To see it clearly I had traced over it, and this has helped preserve the drawing. Unfortunately a change of schools meant I never completed the project, but thankfully I kept my notes including this drawing.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-schuey-diff.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Gonna hard to trump that one. Very cool!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by terry.sc

1981 I was studying design at school and the project I was working on was to design and build my own r/c car. I contacted Schumacher for help with designing the diff, and Cecil sent me a photocopy of his drawing of the first diff he designed for Robins Mardave car. You can see two options with different wheel designs, one being a new wheel and the other being a modified Mardave wheel. You can also see the first design also included a wheel cover.
To see it clearly I had traced over it, and this has helped preserve the drawing. Unfortunately a change of schools meant I never completed the project, but thankfully I kept my notes including this drawing.

It is really cool !
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

OldsCool Tamiya 12th racing

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hi folks,

I was going to dye some old AE nylon parts from white to black for a 12i project, is it just food dye in boiling/simmer water? Can't quite remember if that was how it was done...

Thanks
Tracy
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TracySlatten
Hi folks,

I was going to dye some old AE nylon parts from white to black for a 12i project, is it just food dye in boiling/simmer water? Can't quite remember if that was how it was done...

Thanks
Tracy
We always used Rit clothing dye. Available at the grocery store and other locations.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Roger that.
Tracy
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I just dug up my old RC12E from my parents basement. I got it second hand in the late '80's, so it's got to be at least 30 years old. Chassis is complete with vintage futaba electronics, though apparently the radio is gone (it was one of the brown box jobs). I don't have the 05 motor anymore, though I remember it had it back when I got it. It still has it's original '76 trans am body in decent shape as I never drove it with that body, I had an '80's chevy beretta body that I ran on it instead. I think if I grab a radio and some nimh packs it'd still run. I just need some new tires, some body posts and somewhere to drive it...I'll try to post some pics later if anyone is interested.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Project 12i

Hi folks,

I have been thinking for a while that I would like to build up AE 12i. It was one of the first cars I ever had; 83' ish for me. At 13, I remember looking at the box over and over thinking of the racing fun to be had...I'm mean just look at those people on the box with that killer track in someones back yard. Who where those guys? I never have seen anyone with a paved track in their back yard, but those folks where having fun!
So I remember trying to get that first car together in a hurry with no real experience. Stripped AE aluminum screws, crude cuts here and there, trying to hold soft parts in a vice, not being able to solder that well, no way to true the tires....The box made it look so easy.
After about a week or two later I handed my car over to one of the older guys in the club. He went though it, dyed some of the parts and generally made it bullet proof with various modifications. I still remember him telling me "don't touch it, just drive it!". It looked great after his rebuild of my crummy attempt. I was ready to win!

Now many years later, I going to give it a shot again. This isn't going to be some shelf queen, but a "runner"; To take to the club and run a few laps with a classic 12th from the past. This car put AE into the early 80's with one of the most competitve and available cars for 12th and I want to make a few more laps with one. I may be only a little better with getting a car together and I'm sure many of you have your own tricks for these cars.

The pic of the four cars is what I'm starting with. They are partial ones from _bay that I have purchase over the last few months. Thinking rather than having a shelf queen absolutely perfect only to be freaked out to run in practice at the club, I want one that has already had a little out of the box treatment with a few spare parts in hand. Each of these 4 show there own story, from being near new with little runtime to others that were hot rodded by a racer. The 12i had many chassis revisions ranging from different cuts in the chassis for flex, added stiffeners, IFS mounting holes and not, and a few after market carbon chassis choice as well. I am going to take the best parts from each and see what I come up with. Did anyone ever get those IFS's to work? I hope to hear from some of you that could share some your tricks too. Here it goes.

Before I go any further, this is where I make a complete disclaimer of being an aficionado. This is just what I remember from 25-30 years ago, so go easy on me. (I will try to post as I look at each part/section like a chapter format as the build goes on)
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_14-20-19_323.jpg   Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_14-23-28_928.jpg   Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_14-24-06_684.jpg   Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_14-20-57_929.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Tracy,

Are you looking at a date for your 12i before the end of the Hangar season? I have a NIB 12i with the IFS front end. I also have a second 12i with IFS for that car but I also have 2 carbon chassis for either car. Maybe we can "look" at a race date that is before the end of the season and see who's 12i is up to the task.

Probably yours

BTW, the IFS front end was deemed not really to be any real advantage but it did TQ an IFMAR Worlds in the hands of Christian Kiel so it was capable plus it won some at Cleveland too.

Steve
Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Project 12i #2

Hi folks,

This is what 4 disassembled 12i's look like in a box. It took the about an hour to get all of them apart to see what I was left with. Some good stuff, some not so good. It was fun tearing apart someone elses car...and I got a better look at all the parts, some I haven't even remembered until now. I used mainly laquer thinner for wiping down the fiberglass parts and warm water and dish soap for the nylon. After cleaning I am ready to take a look at the chassis plates first and start there.

The first pic is the original box pic, that chassis had extra cuts up into the front end of the plate, probably an earlier if not the first production 12i chassis released. It was to help (i think) with the needed flex in the front. This model seems to show solid older 12e front suspension parts that did not have springs but unsuspened spindles. The rear cuts were not as long either, a curve and not yet an s-shape.

The other pic shows the 4 chassis plates from the wreckers'. The one with the black strip has a added factory stiffener strip to help with overall droopiness of the soft fiberglass. Judging by the look of the fiberglass this was a early revision. The forward cuts are gone indicating the switch to a suspended spindle and the rear cuts are extended to the s-shape for more flex in the rear. And about the same time the rear spring was added to support the softer chassis. Perhaps this is a later model with softer glass and they added the support to help with flex in the middle? Someone must know about the black strip...

As far as I know, there where revision changes the the basic kit as time went on. People who pruchased later models received the revised parts. The chassis with the round hole in the front was another revision for additional weight savings. The last 2 are the later IFS revised chassis. I never ran an IFS mono shock setup, it looked like many breakable pieces at the time, I never converted. I have a aftermarket carbon super phaser chassis that also had these provisonal holes for the AE IFS front end. (AE parts on a Delta, you have to be kidding.)

Steve, If you could take a pic of those carbon 12i plates and post them up...
Those are the last of the last for 12i plates and much harder to find than any of the the other production fiberglass ones.

For this car I will use one of the later IFS chassis. I took the one in best shape with little or no droop in the glass from years of sitting on wheels. The scrapes on the bottom show that it was used on asphalt for some time but still in good usable shape. (Steve, I'm going to use the stock front arms and not your NIB IFS that I would break in practice.)
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-2012-04-01_16-09-48_606.jpg   Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_15-53-10_965.jpg   Classic 1/12th-2012-03-31_15-52-22_971.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.