Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Going to do the VCS2 shock upgrade on my club racer with stock shocks and confused by the TA instructions I downloaded. Can anyone help?
What are all the blue foams for ? I don't see where they are mentioned in the instructions at all.
Also with this upgrade can I still use the same shock oil weights I have been using (40w front & 35 rear)
Anything else I need to be aware of ??
Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ralph289
Going to do the VCS2 shock upgrade on my club racer with stock shocks and confused by the TA instructions I downloaded. Can anyone help?
What are all the blue foams for ? I don't see where they are mentioned in the instructions at all.
Also with this upgrade can I still use the same shock oil weights I have been using (40w front & 35 rear)
Anything else I need to be aware of ??
Thanks
I just did this upgrade. Don't use the foams or limiters. Only things I used from that kit are the o rings, the o ring tool, the bladders, aluminum tops, and black plastic topper that goes inside the aluminum top.

Use AE green slime on o rings, shaft, piston O.D. and on the threads.

Don't see why you can't use the same oil weights.

Oh and don't re-install the foam assembly. You don't need it anymore.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RotorTruck
I just did this upgrade. Don't use the foams or limiters. Only things I used from that kit are the o rings, the o ring tool, the bladders, aluminum tops, and black plastic topper that goes inside the aluminum top.

Use AE green slime on o rings, shaft, piston O.D. and on the threads.

Don't see why you can't use the same oil weights.

Oh and don't re-install the foam assembly. You don't need it anymore.
Ok Great, Thanks for the help.
No sure what you mean about "Oh and don't re-install the foam assembly. You don't need it anymore." but will most likely figure that out then I take the old ones apart.
Guess you didn't use the limiters either. correct ??
THANKS
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry .....see now not to use the limiters.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The blue foam pieces on the VCS2 shocks are meant to be installed between the shock bladder and the shock cap. They are supposed to limit the rebound of the shock. Most people don't use the blue foam pieces, but they can be used if wanted.

As far as shock oils, you can use any brand/type of silicone shock oil you want in an R/C car shock. Some people prefer one brand over another, but just make sure to use the same brand in all 4 shocks on a car.

I am lazy, and rarely write down the setup I'm running on my cars. A good tip is to buy a silver or white sharpie and write down the oil weight somewhere on the car. A few good places are on carbon fiber shock towers or the corner chassis braces on the TC4. You could also use the battery brace to keep notes. I also write down the spur/pinion somewhere on the car for quick reference.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ralph289
Sorry .....see now not to use the limiters.
Those limiters used to be used to set droop - way back in the day. Don't use them. As you noticed.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

I rebuilt my Factory Team TC4 aluminum shocks and did the upgrade to VCS2 at the same time. New o rings, new bladders. Took it out for a spin and one shock leaked real bad from the bottom of the shock, another leaked a little and is making the 'squish' noise like air got in there. Is there a trick to keep them from leaking? I used green slime on the o rings and shafts. Both leak from the bottom. AE 2 hole pistons, 32.5 AE oil. Both rear shocks leak.

They didn't leak a drop on the workbench or when sitting wrapped in a paper towel for a week. But once driven = leaky.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

If it leaks from the bottom, then your O ring might have been cut by the shaft threads or the shaft itself is scratched.... I always put the O rings from the piston side of the shaft before installing the pistons, and I use a thick cotton cloth to hold the shaft... I also reduce the pressure/pack inside the shock by drilling more piston holes...
Old 09-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

I rebuilt my Factory Team TC4 aluminum shocks and did the upgrade to VCS2 at the same time. New o rings, new bladders. Took it out for a spin and one shock leaked real bad from the bottom of the shock, another leaked a little and is making the 'squish' noise like air got in there. Is there a trick to keep them from leaking? I used green slime on the o rings and shafts. Both leak from the bottom. AE 2 hole pistons, 32.5 AE oil. Both rear shocks leak.

They didn't leak a drop on the workbench or when sitting wrapped in a paper towel for a week. But once driven = leaky.
What did you hold the shock shaft with when you put on the ball cup?

Sounds like you may have scratched the shock shaft at some point.

Mark
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

STRC shock pliers.

These two shocks leaked when I got them used. Methinks I better check the shock shaft. Although I did have some spec-r shocks with new orings and new shock shafts and they still leaked. Got a set of brand new shocks and no leaks.

But I'd like to get these AE shocks to work without a whole replacement...
Old 09-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You gotta stop those crazy big-air jumps over buildings with your TC4! Save that for the RC8's! No wonder your shocks leak after driving!

This is a joke, of course. I had just talked with someone about rocket powered cars before reading your post. This is the image that came to mind...

"Hey look! Is that a UFO?"

"Nah, that's just RotorTruck playing around with his TC4 again."

Old 09-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default TA shocks blow

After two years of leaky shocks I gave up and put Tamiya TRF black shocks and springs on my TC4 VTA car. Works great and never leaks a drop of oil. DP
Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

STRC shock pliers.

These two shocks leaked when I got them used. Methinks I better check the shock shaft. Although I did have some spec-r shocks with new orings and new shock shafts and they still leaked. Got a set of brand new shocks and no leaks.

But I'd like to get these AE shocks to work without a whole replacement...
Look at the shock shafts under a magnifying glass, you probably can see the scratches.

Replacement shafts are not expensive.

Mark
Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Tc4 shocks need lots of pistons holes, and the yokomo YS-8DMH bladders to work good.... Tamiya is great but costly...
Originally Posted by Parnelli
After two years of leaky shocks I gave up and put Tamiya TRF black shocks and springs on my TC4 VTA car. Works great and never leaks a drop of oil. DP
Old 09-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Tc4 shocks need lots of pistons holes

Team Associated TC4-image.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.