Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
Have you ever driven one with a mod motor? I am guessing not.
Have you used a brushless mod with one? I know in the days of brushed there was significant torque steer (although It did not seem to hurt results). It is possible that a brushless mod, due to the smaller diameter rotor (compared to larger diameter armature), would produce less torque steer.

The Awesomatix car seems to work well with the brushless modifieds although hey have recently introduced improvements that reduce the effect. But until now it has not seemed to be an issue that makes the car junk.

It would be fun to see how a TC4 with gear diffs and all the latest improvements would stack up with a modified motor.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Making the tc4 chassis more flexible is the key to winning races, but it will require some dremeling and unscrewing a few chassis screws... Torque steer effect will be diminished to the point of extinction then..... Flex = Win !!!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Have you used a brushless mod with one? I know in the days of brushed there was significant torque steer (although It did not seem to hurt results). It is possible that a brushless mod, due to the smaller diameter rotor (compared to larger diameter armature), would produce less torque steer.

The Awesomatix car seems to work well with the brushless modifieds although hey have recently introduced improvements that reduce the effect. But until now it has not seemed to be an issue that makes the car junk.

It would be fun to see how a TC4 with gear diffs and all the latest improvements would stack up with a modified motor.
Yup, ran mine exclusively with brushless motors. It is more of a chassis twist than actual torque steer. The torque of the motor can compress one side or the other of the suspension and this results in asymmetrical handling. You just have to keep it in mind when you drive one. On power, it will steer better one way and on the brakes it will steer better the other.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

One thing that may be more important is any play in the steering linkage, including flexing of plastic parts. All front wheel and four-wheel drive cars will try to torque steer, just physics say it's got to try. TC4 stock steering components seem to get quite loose after a while... I know mine did. You can get aluminum parts on ebay if it bothers you.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone found a double joint cvd other than the losi one. My track is really tight and I need the extra couple degrees.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

The only other dcj is the tc6 Rsd dcj, but you''ll need tc6 hubs, Bearings, etc....
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
... you''ll need tc6 hubs, Bearings, etc....
So you actually did this and know it works on a TC4 ??

Or is this more crap from your book of "just sayin"

Dont want anyone buying parts that wont work ...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Another possibility that would allow you to use the DCJ for the TC6 would be using the 6x10 bearing from the TC6 in the TC4 steering block, but 3/8 is .375", while 10mm is .393", so it would require some machining to hog out the stocker and make it run.

Then again, you could find a 3/8" x 10mm bearing, I don't know where you could get one, or just use TC6 steering blocks and shim or clearance them to fit in the TC4 caster block / c-hub.

Also, 6mm, the shaft diameter of the TC6 hardware, is only a few thousandths off of being 15/64", which is NOT a common bearing size and a google search found a grand total of ZERO 15/64 x 3/8 bearings, but who knows, it might exist.

Good luck, I hope that helped more than it hurt.

Last edited by DesertRat; 01-03-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: terminology
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

Moparsrt, stop trolling Bert!!! Brooks(post#12229) figured it out.....OK...... Do your research from 2014 on !!!! Hopefully Brooks will post a few pictures for you.......lol....
Originally Posted by Brooksracing
Hi Guys
Just wanted to keep you updated on my TC4 build. I purchased a DC4 LE kit last week with optional flex top deck. I intend to build it up with some improved parts to increase performance and ease of maintenance. The car will then be raced in the 13.5T class of the BRCA nationals. A class which the TC4 used to do very well in but has essentially disappeared from to be replaced by more modern cars ( a back step?? Well I think so )

While I wait for the Diggity kit to arrive I have been working on the TC4 FT kit that will provide the base for the new race car. This is a car I have had since new when they first came out and I used to race at the nationals before moving to a sponsored drive with Losi (the dark side I know) then a break from the sport, before returning about 8 months ago.

To the TC4 kit I have converted to TC6 front and rear hubs plus carriers, the rear to allow matching vertical attachments for the camber arms inside and outside.

I have also got together a better quality bearing kit, RSD DCJs (they now fit) and a IRS front light weight spool. I also built up a set of latest TC6.1 dampers with RSD soft bladders, 0 rings and 6 hole pistons. I also plan to use the RSD dual bell crank steering system, floating Lipo attachment kit and a carbon drive shaft from Whip.

With these bits I think it's going to be one truly quick car and I can't wait to try it out on track. I will post build pics, testing reports and set ups as I go.

Many thanks
Tom

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 01-03-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Moparsrt, stop trolling Bert!!! Brooks(post#12229) figured it out.....OK..........
Jeff Jenkins figured out how to install a gear diff ... whats your point Bert - Just Sayin - LOL

You have neither of these

Converting to TC6 parts or gear diffs requires machining, not something the average racer wants/can do. So please stop posting crap on how you only need some parts to do the mod.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Wow........ A few hubs, Bearings, and dcj's won't hurt anybody !!! Stop discouraging newbies, and get your post count above 3000 before addressing me again...lol...
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
Have you ever driven one with a mod motor? I am guessing not.

I have raced 3 FT TC4s from 2005-2011.

I used brushed motors in the early days 8T double and 19T which did have noticeable torque streer and I have raced with 8.5T to 13.5T brushless motors with boost.

I have used a 3.5T motor for practice but never raced with it.

IMO torque steer with brushless motors is a non issue with the FT TC4.

Last edited by frozenpod; 01-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Well the good new's is that I have a 6.1 aswell. So none of it will be a loss. I'll defiantly re-post if it works ... Then it won't be "just saying" HAHA.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lee111m
Well the good new's is that I have a 6.1 aswell. So none of it will be a loss. I'll defiantly re-post if it works ... Then it won't be "just saying" HAHA.
Looked into this back when LOSI discontinued the rear hubs ...
TC5/6 rear hubs will work if you drill out the hinge pin holes in the arms to 2.5mm, then you will need to enlarge the slots in the outdrives to fit the blades used with the TC5/6 CVA's, blades are 3.56mm outdrives are 2.51mm.

Front TC5/6 Steering Blocks fit the TC4 Castor blocks so no drilling or mods ... BUT the TC5/6 steering blocks have completely different geometry so you will end up with less steering throw then with TC4 steering blocks, TC5/6 steering setups wont clear the TC4 driveshaft so something custom will be needed to regain the lost steering throw. Same mod for the outdrives as in the rear.

I gave up on it but good luck and post some pics when done
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Looked into this back when LOSI discontinued the rear hubs ...
TC5/6 rear hubs will work if you drill out the hinge pin holes in the arms to 2.5mm, then you will need to enlarge the slots in the outdrives to fit the blades used with the TC5/6 CVA's, blades are 3.56mm outdrives are 2.51mm.

Front TC5/6 Steering Blocks fit the TC4 Castor blocks so no drilling or mods ... BUT the TC5/6 steering blocks have completely different geometry so you will end up with less steering throw then with TC4 steering blocks, TC5/6 steering setups wont clear the TC4 driveshaft so something custom will be needed to regain the lost steering throw. Same mod for the outdrives as in the rear.

I gave up on it but good luck and post some pics when done
Maybe i'll just pick up an older used belt drive. I'll have no time to do any of that with school just a few days away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.