TC4 picture (+cliff lett)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC4 picture (+cliff lett)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

We have two TC-3's been racing them for 3 yr's, & i only cleaned the hub bearings when i rebuilt the diffs maybe every dozen races or so, there the racer kit bearings with the rubber seals, never had a problem, there as good today as the day i built the cars.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You want to talk replacing bearings, any one rember the old 1/4 x 3/8 flanged rear axle bearings in the Rc-10s? I didnt even bother cleaning them. Just put a new set in after every fourth race day.

Never had an issue with the bearings now. If people arent tearing them up in Nitro Sedan and Gas truck, what the heck are you doing to yours in an electric sedan.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The main cause of steering knuckle bearing failures are 2 reasons...

1) dirt.... 4wd vehicles throw alot more dirt into the front hubs than any other cars....

2) HITTING THINGS....... smashing into the wall at speed on throttle with the wheel turned causes alot of abnormal wear on your bearings...... Specifically cuases the balls to flatspot and get that "forever gritty" feel......

On the X-Ray hubs, the servo saver is actually pretty weak from the factory, when you hit something the force overpowers the servo saver and the axle bone comes in contact with the axle hub axle..... spring steel hits hardened aluminum and which one gives???? You can tell by the way the axle is flared out....

BTW: there is very little play in the X-ray hubs.... definately too little to effect durability......

Last edited by IMPACTPLAYR; 09-06-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jack Smash
You want to talk replacing bearings, any one rember the old 1/4 x 3/8 flanged rear axle bearings in the Rc-10s? I didnt even bother cleaning them. Just put a new set in after every fourth race day.
Yes I do remember those.... heck they are still in use with some pancars and still mnot much more durable....LOL

never had an issue with the bearings now. If people arent tearing them up in Nitro Sedan and Gas truck, what the heck are you doing to yours in an electric sedan.

UMMM Hitting too much shit....LOL
Old 09-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Legend

I wonder...

Has the king pin ball stud on the ft steering arm been improved ?

I hope it has a bigger thread ( ball stud ) so it can take a big hit ....

Love the car, but it seems from the pictures I`ve seen, that part of the design is still the same & could be improved.....

All that would be required is a larger ball stud thread....
Old 09-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default My problem has been...

with small carpet tracks. No it's not from impacts! I never said anything about the rear hubs, only the front inside bearing. Maybe I just need to put some grease in it. If no one else is having the problem, just go on by my old posts.

Someone at AE must of had a problem with the hub bearings, why would they have considered it? That's all I have to say about it.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 09-06-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by SirSpeedy
Because that is not AE's business. They are not a "luxury" car company. They offer a great car, for as little money as possible. It is not AE's company mission, vision, or identity, and has no place in their business model. The "luxury TC" buyer is not their customer, AE is not a player in that market segment, nor do they wish to be.

The buyer of the 'exotic' sedans are typically not going to be pleased with the mainstream offerings from the big 2(Losi / AE), and want something different This is a very small segment of the rc market. The racing segment is tiny in itself, and the luxury segment is less than 15% of that by my estimation.

AE has been around for many years, and they do not seem to make very many mistakes, or misread the marketplace very often. This is no exception. They will sell a ton of them, and most will be RTR.
Who said anything about luxury? I just think, if, AE was going to address all(or most) of the issues and mods for the TC3, then they should've given us a woven graphite chassis. What's wrong with that? I didn't say they should've decked the car with Titanium, anodized blue and sealed low-friction bearings (eventhough, they could've... and everyone would've loved them for it!). I think, after all these years of the same platform, AE should've threw in "everything but the kitchen sink" on this one. This would've been a very bold statement on AE's part, no?

Remember: this would not stop them from releasing the RTR, Racer and Team versions.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Why fix it if it isn't broke. The molded chassis did fine on the TC3 so why go carbon fiber. With a molded chassis you don't have to worry about an upper deck tweaking the car.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by webspinner
Why fix it if it isn't broke. The molded chassis did fine on the TC3 so why go carbon fiber. With a molded chassis you don't have to worry about an upper deck tweaking the car.
Not broken, but definitely in need of some re-working. The IRS chassis is a perfect platform. Woven chassis with center and side braces. No top deck. I never heard anyone complain about that chassis "tweaking".
Old 09-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sorry, but I must go with Webspinner on...

this one. CF chassis plates have no added performance value other than good looks. CF plates weaken and flex over a much shorter period of time than a molded chassis. I would rather have AE pass on the savings to me. Although, I want a part to have up most performance value first, but if they can design it to look good, I'm all there.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the TC4 and I may get one. I'm a AE loyalist of course! I am very hard on my favorite company and I will give them feedback. Like it or not AE should embrace it.

Tphalen; thanks for the nice response. I never said anything about the rear hub bearings. It was the inside front bearing that I have had go bad. I kepted them clean and so on, but I thought they still went quick. On small carpet tracks, is where I had the problem. I had to clean more than I wanted and it was not from hitting the boards. I hope AE will consider this change. That is all I can ask for... Thanks.

One more thing, will AE also consider making the cell slots larger for better cooling like the XXX-S? This is one easy mod for the design team or will it weaken the chassis too much? If anything it would reduce weight on the battery side for a more even balance. Just thought I would ask.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 09-06-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Sorry, but I must go with Webspinner on...

Originally posted by Nightbreed
this one. CF chassis plates have no added performance value other than good looks. CF plates weaken and flex over a much shorter period of time than a molded chassis.
No added performance value, huh? So, just why do you think the current top car manufacturers (Xray, Hpi, Yokomo, etc.) chose a woven gaphite chassis as their platform? Also, If, we worked on our driving skills more and didn't crash as much, which I hope we all are?... we wouldn't be as concerned with weakening "CF plates" that flex.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

or what if Associated never released this and none of us had this conversation

The TC4 will turn out just like everyother car, it will come out, be bought, then the company will find out what is wrong with it, they will send out parts to fix it, then when other problems come up they will fix those too, and finally when the car gets to it's top they will keep it in production for a while (unless they're Tamiya) and then they will come out with another car and the process will start all over again

so there I said it, it has been inside me for sooooooo long and I finally have found a car that I like and am not switching
Old 09-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default personally Kewdawg, I would not want...

to pay $280 plus for a TC. I like the fact that AE comes out with a competitive 'Racer' for $150.00. They pass the savings on to the consumer. It's great you can get a real race car for $149.00, with a body and tires. Just get an aftermarket one, that's all I'm saying. I'm sure they will make one. Plus with the TC4 design you must use the chassis brase in order to use the upper camber links. I think they are one piece.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 PM
MI2
Tech Adept

what do guys think about the TC4
Old 09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

TPhalen : Is there a part number for a graphite chassis and suspension kit for the tc4 yet ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.