Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Rookie

That's Funny you mentioned the belt flipping. I built my car just like it said out of the box and the belt flipped immediately the first battery pack I ran.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbonium
if, say the setup sheet lists a ride height, then +2, or "over ride height, what i do is this:

use 2 ride height guages, one on each side, put it to the total #, say 7.

using the droop screws, i adjust till the tires juuuust touch the setup board.

then you have the droop set as "ride height plus 1, 2, etc," whatever is listed.

seems like a lot of people use different methods of measuring and checking, but this would be a constant method, no matter what size tire, rubber/foam, etc....

probably should have typed that a little faster.....
So you set your ride height first, using preload, then you put it on the two gauges at ride height + 2, and then you adjust the droop until the wheels just touch the setup board?

Why are downstops listed on the setup sheet instead of uptravel, if at all? It seems like kind of an arbitrary thing if I'm understanding this correctly. And, is 2mm over ride height what most people do for foam/carpet?

Last edited by syndr0me; 03-01-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

actually, the front belt that flipped on me in Vegas back in September was the original one from the March 05 buildup... and run it every weekend! id did last a good long time.

it really didnt wear out, but i think like Woody said above, something hit it and made it flip once, then it just kept on doing it, till i swapped a new one on... no probs since then.

Wes
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

yeah you are right once it flips once, it seems much more prone to flipping. After changing two belts in a single day at our last big two day race. I have had enough. Changing a belt isn't really a quick thing to do either.

Thats why I was looking at solutions, its seems to happen too often and frustrating if I have to change a belt every race day. Of course days I stay off the pipe then I don't have near as much trouble. and then there is the days... well... people get in my way yeah thats it.

Woody
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Do you guys run the front belt tensioner? Do you run it all the way forward? Not sure if it helps in this case, but I haven't flipped a belt since I started using it.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey woody,

So what are you setting your belt tension at? I still have the original belt on my car... and it's over a year old. I habe my layshaft all the way up... but no additional tensioner.

-Korey
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Syndr0me, between 1 and 2 mm over ride height is what most people use for foam. People that race rubber tires a lot get in the habit of using arm downstops...but what really is important is how much uptravel the car has...for both rubber and foam. I usually run 2 mm uptravel all around.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Syndr0me, between 1 and 2 mm over ride height is what most people use for foam. People that race rubber tires a lot get in the habit of using arm downstops...but what really is important is how much uptravel the car has...for both rubber and foam. I usually run 2 mm uptravel all around.
Cool Brian, thank you.

Okay, so does this process sound reasonable?

Back off droop screws enough that I can adjust ride height easily, and do so using spring preload only. Then, raise the chassis to ride height + uptravel (so if your ride height was 5mm, and you wanted 2mm of uptravel, you'd put your car on two ride height gauges at 7mm) and adjust the droop screws until the wheels just touch the setup board.

Is that a pretty standard, sane way of doing all that?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So you set your ride height first, using preload, then you put it on the two gauges at ride height + 2, and then you adjust the droop until the wheels just touch the boards?

Why are downstops listed on the setup sheet instead of uptravel, if at all? It seems like kind of an arbitrary thing if I'm understanding this correctly. And, is 2mm over ride height what most people do for foam/carpet?
i think the downstops reference works well too, for each person may measure it on a different place on the arm, hub, etc. but it works best for the same person to compare his own measurements.

the great thing about this other way i use is that anyone can duplicate it. plus works no matter what tire or chassis plate you use...

Wes
Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Belt

From what you guys are saying about the belts. Should I change my brand new belt?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

I've never had my belt flip over. I run with layshaft 3/4 up and no tensioner. Everytime it flips, do your batteries always hit it? Are you sure the your differentials are put in you bulkhead correctly (They're off set and the front one has to have the long side to the passenger side, and the rear have the long side to the driver side.)

-Eric
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

It has me stumped too. Mabye I just have a bad belt. The belt was really twisted in the package from the factory, looked like someone was trying to make a paper bird out of it. LOL That could have something to do with it I am assuming.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Cool Brian, thank you.

Okay, so does this process sound reasonable?

Back off droop screws enough that I can adjust ride height easily, and do so using spring preload only. Then, raise the chassis to ride height + uptravel (so if your ride height was 5mm, and you wanted 2mm of uptravel, you'd put your car on two ride height gauges at 7mm) and adjust the droop screws until the wheels just touch the setup board.

Is that a pretty standard, sane way of doing all that?
Yeah, that works. I usually just get it to about 2 mm over then fine tune it so I can feel the tires hit at the same time when lowering it to the surface...trust me, you'll feel a difference between when it's off and when it's not. I visually check, as well. When you're slapping fresh tires on, it's best to use some kind of droop guage to get them perfectly even (this is the only time I use one).
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Don't know if you're running the carpet nats, but keep in mind minumim tire height is 55 mm *after* your run i.e. if you car is one of the ones get's teched after the run and your tires are smaller than 55 mm ...DQ
Sorry Harsh, not true. There is a rule that allows for "wear and tear" during the race. If a tire passed at 55mm pre-race check it is good.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Rookie

buggy richard, are you sure you built your car right? I havnt had any problems with the belt yet... I have never even heard of this...

I guess i would rather my belt flip than have to replace arms everytime i go on the track though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.