Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on classes with no timing or boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
whoooo!..i cant believe most of y'all messed this post up...1 question was asked...i dont even know if he got a reply to the question...most fail to realize the rules change from track to track...(just like laws are different form state to state)...some act like boost will never be used again...we ran non-boost & timing @ the halloween classic...the speed was good..hardly anybody broke their cars...so he wanted to take it back to his club...look all of y'all have a choice...if the place your @ dont run what you like...guess what... dont run...or follow the rules that are set..or find a class you would like to run...50 entry...in 17.5 non boost...that must tell you something
I like the thought of no Boost. It saves the drivers that dont have a ESC w/ Boost some money while still staying competitive with their investments. And people with Boost should stop whining b/c all the ESC with Boost can turn it off !!! Speed Passion, Tekin, MMP, EZrun etc etc they can all turn it off not like you have to go buy a new Boostless ESC.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by iPearl
New Drivers also dont want to understand They want it now instant.
Bolt on see improvement and go, the new eara is very impatience and ignors small details.

To the people now its like "I BOLT THIS ON AND AUTOMATICALLY IT SHOULD HANDLE BETTER" and they totally ignor the instructions and dont know what that part even do exactly, all they know its an upgrade and b/c it is it should help. No adjustment.

Some Manuals from these high end TC did spend the time on writing tutorials out in the manual on how to set up a car, what adjustment does what.
They also do a very good job explaining if you turn this screw so much this is the effect. BUT WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SEEN SOMEONE READ THE MANUAL ?
yes but can you honestly say you didnt think that way when you first started out? im saying after you get past the realization that they are things you can do with the car to make it handle better, there is almost too much to take in.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've seen a lot of carnage and broken parts in the boost class. And these were from expert drivers.

Having lesser skilled drivers such as myself join this group will result in even more carnage.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tread1
The main problem with beginners isn't getting beat by the vets,its having a car still in one piece at the end of the day.

We had a new guy show up last year with a new 17.5 TC,timing speedo,all the bells and whistles,ran the car one night,packed up the pieces and has never come back.
Originally Posted by DuckStang
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, motherfloppingding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the guys that posted in this thread can not get over themselves and their MAD DRIVING SKILLZ AND MAD TWEAKING THE ESC SKILLLLZ to be thinking about the growth of the hobby. If they get their way, these are the same guys that will be posting 2 years from now on how open esc's ruined the hobby and it's just them and 2 other people on the stand.
These two quotes right here sum up the issue with this entire debate. Racers need to look past their own wants and desires to really help TC grow again. People coming on here saying suck it up butter cup and run full blown 17.5 or mod are only saying this for their own benefit. The reality is that maybe only 10-15% of the racers out there can really handle a 17.5 open car or a mod car on the majority of race tracks in the US. So telling someone that just walked into the hobby that this is all they have isn’t going to work. In the end I dont think its as much about people wanting to win a class so they make a new one....they just want to race a car they are comfortable racing at a speed they can handle. Everyone isnt Paul L or Keven H there needs to be a place to start nationally.

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Cry babies kill the growth because they want to change the rules every year and it's harder to get better when there is no consistency. Timing advance isn't killing offroad! They just give beginners a class to develop in, ie slash. At this rate, we're gonna be awarding 7th place ribbons for trying. Lol@ sissys and racing!
This post right here also sums up all thats going wrong in this thread as well. In one sentence he’s saying cry babies kill the growth because they want to change the rules every year.....if you haven’t been paying attention EVERYTHING has changed every year for the last 5 years. The boosted cars now are faster than they were this time last year. Then later goes on to say that off-road has a class for beginners to develop in.....ok and where is this class in on road??? This is the core issue....there needs to be a class so people can grow and develop their skills in. A spec class with real looking bodies IE RCGT or USVTA would be more appealing to random people walking by then a 50mph blob going around the track and break neck speeds. This needs to start at the National level with ROAR starting a class like this that will get people into racing a car that looks like a real car....it works with slash trucks why won’t it work with on road cars?

Also please enough with the off-road comments....they don’t have the traction like there is in On-road so it renders all the use of the turbo moot. I was looking in a magazine at race in Cali and there was 10 or 12 classes offered for an electric off-road race....so you tell me who has more classes to race?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Legend

O WAAAA !

Stock too fast for the Vets in the beginner class(stock)...

So now you have to drive , not just have the faster motor ...

That's a good thing and needs to stay if you ask me ...
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first RC race ever was in June of this year. I raced 13.5 boosted almost every weekend, all summer. I bent 1 aluminum dogbone(known to be weak, replaced with steel, no problems since), broke 1 A arm and had to replace 1 plastic knuckle because a hole widened (now using aluminum ones). Maybe I'm just lucky. Well I did kill a few body shells, but I certainly didn't experience the type of carnage implied above.

I had my first indoor carpet race last weekend running 17.5 boosted on a tight track and didn't break anything despite not being used to high traction levels and hard walls. I finished second in the B-main.

I tend to start out slower and then build speed as I get used to the track and pretty quickly I find myself not far off the pace of the fast guys, pushing the limits of control. Maybe most people have no control of their fingers or something and mash the throttle before they get the feel of the layout or before they get the car set up well enough to push it.

I like having a car that has more than enough power to lose control if you aren't careful. Being able to drive a whole race with the throttle pinned almost the entire time just isn't very interesting to me. Plenty of people like that kind of racing though. That's fine. Plenty of people like driving automatic transmission full scale cars. I don't, I find it boring. I prefer a manual transmission. In RC, I prefer boosted. I would even run mod, but no one seems to run mod unless it's a big race.

The throttle isn't supposed to be an on/off switch. Hammer the gas in a real race car with no traction control and see how well that works for you. If you drive like an idiot with a powerful car, you are going to break things, so just don't drive like an idiot or stick to the slow zero timing classes where you don't have to think so much about that pesky throttle control thing.

I definitely think the zero timing classes are a good thing for many people. Just don't have those as the only classes offered.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I just really started racing on-road about a year ago, and I saw a few guys hang it up over the speed controllers (Boost, timing, etc.) When that happened our track owner decided this year we would have a stock class and several of those guys came back, and the racing seems to be a lot tighter. I want it to be so that if a new guy walks in wanting to race I can tell him to go buy product A,B and C and you will be set to ENTER the class, but I would also tell him to get products that do not limit how far he can go. I think no matter what happens a stock class needs to be an option. There are people that have a lot better info and more time to work with the latest and the greatest equipment than me, but I want to be able to compete with them. Just like I want the next guy that walks in the door at the track to be able to compete with me - no matter what kind of equipment he has or can afford. I think stock facilitates this more than unlimited speed controllers. Ultimately I think stock speed controllers are better at the club level for most. I am not saying that timing speedos don't have a place, but I think for the average racer no timing is better.

If a new racer is going to put the time in, they need to have small successes along the way to keep them going (that is why I continue to go) and I think it is easier to do in stock. Looking at the speedo settings on my laptop is more confusing to me than understanding my setup book. Let alone the fact that if I move the "tab" right with my mouse my car is going to go faster and be harder HARDER to drive well which leaves me scratching my head. I think a new racer needs to spend time practicing and learning with experimentation car setup. The speedo and motor need to be a "given"

My $.02
Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by locked
I tend to start out slower and then build speed as I get used to the track and pretty quickly I find myself not far off the pace of the fast guys, pushing the limits of control. Maybe most people have no control of their fingers or something and mash the throttle before they get the feel of the layout or before they get the car set up well enough to push it.
That's a smart way to go about things.

My wife read this thread, and her first comment to me was "The throttle works all the way from neutral to full pull on my Brushless E-Revo, and I only use about half if I think I might break something. What's the point of racing at full throttle all the way around the track?".

Coming from a woman that learned to drive in NJ [where her norm was 2 feet on the throttle and one hand on the wheel when we got married, she's improved a lot], I found her comments humorous
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mracer
I just really started racing on-road about a year ago, and I saw a few guys hang it up over the speed controllers (Boost, timing, etc.) When that happened our track owner decided this year we would have a stock class and several of those guys came back, and the racing seems to be a lot tighter. I want it to be so that if a new guy walks in wanting to race I can tell him to go buy product A,B and C and you will be set to ENTER the class, but I would also tell him to get products that do not limit how far he can go. I think no matter what happens a stock class needs to be an option. There are people that have a lot better info and more time to work with the latest and the greatest equipment than me, but I want to be able to compete with them. Just like I want the next guy that walks in the door at the track to be able to compete with me - no matter what kind of equipment he has or can afford. I think stock facilitates this more than unlimited speed controllers. Ultimately I think stock speed controllers are better at the club level for most. I am not saying that timing speedos don't have a place, but I think for the average racer no timing is better.

If a new racer is going to put the time in, they need to have small successes along the way to keep them going (that is why I continue to go) and I think it is easier to do in stock. Looking at the speedo settings on my laptop is more confusing to me than understanding my setup book. Let alone the fact that if I move the "tab" right with my mouse my car is going to go faster and be harder HARDER to drive well which leaves me scratching my head. I think a new racer needs to spend time practicing and learning with experimentation car setup. The speedo and motor need to be a "given"

My $.02
There are some things I can agree with in your post.

We're starting our carpet season this Saturday, and there seems to be some interest in a no-timing Sportsman Stock TC class [no sponsored drivers cherry picking]. The majority of the "regulars" are still planning to run Super Stock TC, as well as mod [lots of us race multiple classes].

So far though, everyone has been more interested in getting equipment that will also allow them to be competitive in Super Stock, with plans to move up, than getting cozy for the long haul.

We'll see how this season goes, but it's not uncommon to see everyone bouncing ESC setups off of each other, as well as getting chassis setup help and borrowing spares in the [fairly rare] event of parts breakage.

I don't know how many times I'll say it, but I don't view no-timing classes as a "savior" class, but this really should be addressed on a club level. Do what's best best for your own racers and track.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
There are some things I can agree with in your post.

We're starting our carpet season this Saturday, and there seems to be some interest in a no-timing Sportsman Stock TC class [no sponsored drivers cherry picking]. The majority of the "regulars" are still planning to run Super Stock TC, as well as mod [lots of us race multiple classes].

So far though, everyone has been more interested in getting equipment that will also allow them to be competitive in Super Stock, with plans to move up, than getting cozy for the long haul.

We'll see how this season goes, but it's not uncommon to see everyone bouncing ESC setups off of each other, as well as getting chassis setup help and borrowing spares in the [fairly rare] event of parts breakage.

I don't know how many times I'll say it, but I don't view no-timing classes as a "savior" class, but this really should be addressed on a club level. Do what's best best for your own racers and track.

+1

Our [OVRCCC] problem is that there is posibly 12-18 TC racers, 5 or so 'faster' the rest more like 'regular' racers this divides the class up pretty much.

Our 1st race is also thi Saturday [11/6] we will see what turnout we get & what direction they want ot head

Thankx, Bill
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach

That took me two paragraphs to say. I think for the new racer stock makes an easier starting point - less hassle and let's you learn what everyone needs to learn first: car setup. We all want to move up eventually.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Our club is in the midsts of changing some of our classes over to the new ROAR approved speed controls (no timing or boost) and we are getting mixed reactions from racers. Our problem is we don't have enough racers to fill 2 classes of the same type (example, stock 17.5 and open touring car). I recently raced the Halloween Classic and thought the touring car class was great.

For those that have raced a class without the timing and boost, what are your thoughts? Do you think it is for the betterment of the hobby? Has it helped in gaining racers at your local track, or will it?

Just trying to gain some insight from other areas to see how well this new idea is accepted.
1st off, I cant believe I just spent 45min reading all of this.....I most have something in my Cheeriros...but anyway...

Ozzie, we are running the stock TC class here in Nashville/Thunder RC, and its alot easier for guys going from VTA to TC without the boost or adv time...

We have ran adv time esc since the beginning and have watched it get out of control...it put alot of pressure on guys that bought LRP, or Black Dimonds or even Tekins...to keep up with the fast guys...it was the esc of the month, or the big wait for new software...and when you try and think ahead and get the best out there, and 3-6 months later something better/faster comes along, it really sours you love for the hobby....

everyone has to remember that 90% of us are grown ass men with responsibility,family,BILLS, kids ect...and dropping extra money for another paper weight is a little much just to stay in the game...especially when its a $200-$400 paper weight...(sorry Dirla..lol)....

if I had to give you advice...run the stock...and as your locals increase the speed and skill, let some start running open, that way it will be easier for the newbies to step up and get into the hobby...kinda like rotation....or offer a VTA or RCGT class for your new guys...but all tracks should have some entry level on-road class....rather it be VTA or 17.5 stock esc...but that way you can grow you on-road program...good luck and let us know how it went, or going

Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BTW...I ran non boosted all summer and beat plenty of turbo,boosted,adv time esc's running the big boi software...just FYI, for thinking boosted esc is a real issue...a good setup and practice, with the right layout....will win everyday....lol...sorry again Dirla