Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
why?
The car works better without it...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
The car works better without it...

Stiffness? binding? weight? I am lost...

It isn't in the TRF417 or TRF417x manual. The TRF416X does have the alum one shown...

Reason I am asking is I JUST received my 417x and want my chassis to be stiffer. Not interested in the Exotek extra hard chassis, I need the extra cooling(I live in Florida and run boosted) I may buy the top deck once it is avail stiffer...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

It isn't in the TRF417 or TRF417x manual. The TRF416X does have the alum one shown...

Reason I am asking is I JUST received my 417x and want my chassis to be stiffer. Not interested in the Exotek extra hard chassis, I need the extra cooling(I live in Florida and run boosted) I may buy the top deck once it is avail stiffer...
Ugg...what is the car doing on the track that makes you believe you need a stiffer chassis and top deck? If you are running the right tires for the track conditions and have a good outdoor setup the car will work just fine. Stop over-thinking this...you have been posting for weeks about wanting certain types of chassis and top decks and I just don't get it.

What is your setup?
What tires are you running?
How are you preparing your tires before the race?
What symptoms are you seeing in the car or with the setup?
What body are you running?
Is the car mechanically OK?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Section 9 of the 417 manual carbon steering brace!

The centre hole lines up with the topdeck!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Ugg...what is the car doing on the track that makes you believe you need a stiffer chassis and top deck? If you are running the right tires for the track conditions and have a good outdoor setup the car will work just fine. Stop over-thinking this...you have been posting for weeks about wanting certain types of chassis and top decks and I just don't get it.

What is your setup?
+1
run the car first as-is and then decide what you need or you might end up spending more than you need to. Talking from experience.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

What is your setup?
Ugh!

I have been asking questions before purchasing to make sure #1 tgat the chassis is right for my use. #2 if there are holes, and the manual isn't showing use, I am curious.

I am no noob that just asks q's to ask, I purchased a TA06 to find out it is horrible on carpet. It's a chassis that was bred for unprepared asphalt. I coughed quite a bit of coin into it (exotek conversion after all else failed)and wanted to make sure history does not repeat itself. If you wish me to site all my sources for my research, I can. Apparently the 417 is the best for carpet until the new stiffer 417x chassis came out. Being as how you guys have been racing the chassis for a while now, I thought I can forecast characteristics.

I am running 17.5 boosted tc rubber tire on traction compound soaked carpet. High traction is an understatement. As I am pricing it together, I am asking these q's so I know what to expect. I just need a good baseline and I have read all over the net that a stiffer 417x is best. I will start there then make adjustments.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbones
+1
run the car first as-is and then decide what you need or you might end up spending more than you need to. Talking from experience.
I've just researched and read that it needs to be stiffer for carpet. Once I get it setup, I will run it and see.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I've just researched and read that it needs to be stiffer for carpet. Once I get it setup, I will run it and see.
tamiya is offering a 2.5mm lower and upper deck as a option
Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjspinner
Section 9 of the 417 manual carbon steering brace!

The centre hole lines up with the topdeck!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/42184ml.pdf

Section 9 only shows install of support, not support to upperdeck. Someone mentioned 3mm spacer and I'll check when I get home.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Ugh!

I have been asking questions before purchasing to make sure #1 tgat the chassis is right for my use. #2 if there are holes, and the manual isn't showing use, I am curious.

I am no noob that just asks q's to ask, I purchased a TA06 to find out it is horrible on carpet. It's a chassis that was bred for unprepared asphalt. I coughed quite a bit of coin into it (exotek conversion after all else failed)and wanted to make sure history does not repeat itself. If you wish me to site all my sources for my research, I can. Apparently the 417 is the best for carpet until the new stiffer 417x chassis came out. Being as how you guys have been racing the chassis for a while now, I thought I can forecast characteristics.

I am running 17.5 boosted tc rubber tire on traction compound soaked carpet. High traction is an understatement. As I am pricing it together, I am asking these q's so I know what to expect. I just need a good baseline and I have read all over the net that a stiffer 417x is best. I will start there then make adjustments.
The TA06 chassis is like comparing apples to oranges against the 417X. The 417X is a competition level chassis that can handle the fastest of motors on varying types of conditions.

Use this setup exactly (except for motor) and go drive the car...you will be surprised how good it is...

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...012/index.html
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Section 9 only shows install of support, not support to upperdeck. Someone mentioned 3mm spacer and I'll check when I get home.
If you want to attach the carbon steering brace to the upper deck I believe you have to use the aluminium part you put inside the steering bearings (steering post part nr 13454760), a 3mm shim will be too small.

BR Steffan
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steffanchr
If you want to attach the carbon steering brace to the upper deck I believe you have to use the aluminium part you put inside the steering bearings (steering post part nr 13454760), a 3mm shim will be too small.

BR Steffan
It was one or more shims there was no specific part made for this.

Look in the Gilles thread the answer is somewhere in there as to what the team drivers were doing.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hi again guys, i'm having issues raising the front ride height of my car. the back adjusts well to tuning with the calipers but the front wont lift. all my shocks are exactly the same length but my front is stuck at 4mm. is this common? where could i be going wrong?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svndayNZ
hi again guys, i'm having issues raising the front ride height of my car. the back adjusts well to tuning with the calipers but the front wont lift. all my shocks are exactly the same length but my front is stuck at 4mm. is this common? where could i be going wrong?
either your droop screws are hitting the chassis or your shock lengths are wrong

or your tyres are too small
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
either your droop screws are hitting the chassis or your shock lengths are wrong

or your tyres are too small
Cheers Craig my shocks are the right length and wheels and tyres are fine. I think you're right it's the droop screw. I've set the front droop to 6 for my local track, what would be the better process for setting ride height then droop? Or other way around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.