Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spring71
New 417 Spool set have arrived from Spec-R.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...t.asp?s_sort=3

417 parts store : http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/parts...arts_p_id=1447

FYI, Thanks.
Metal against metal will more likely have a lot more chatter than metal to plastic. I prefer tamiya's style much better.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Hey all!

I will be running a 417x on a high grip carpet track in a few weeks. I haven't made any modifications to the car except for the Spec-r front drive shafts.

Is there a good setup around to try?

I have one for a medium grip carpet track that I will use if need be however would be nice to not be so far out on start of practice day.

Btw -... I will run the car in 17.5 boosted or Mod... haven't decided which.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

VOTE HERE
Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheZoof
Hey all!

I will be running a 417x on a high grip carpet track in a few weeks. I haven't made any modifications to the car except for the Spec-r front drive shafts.

I have one for a medium grip carpet track that I will use if need be however would be nice to not be so far out on start of practice day.

You should contact SkaterX on the Canadian forum, either NASCAR or CARCAR forum, he had a very good setup on a high traction carpet track. I believe he drives for Borgfelt/Tamiya Canada, but I don't know if they have a setup forum.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hey all!

This is the setup I ran at IIC and it is a good high/med grip setup with both 17.5 boosted and non-boosted.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...mo_IIC2011.pdf
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeGlover
I am loving the new 417x. We are on medium grip carpet and the car is really nice to drive. Chassis flex was a non issue. This car has and always will excel outdoors on the asphalt. I have an exotek chassis coming so I will try that out next race day and report back.

I ran my 417 back to back to compare and same laptimes and same consistancy. I wouldn't upgrade if you have a 417 but for everyone else who doesn't have a blue car well they are just going slower
So Jo, how's the exotek chassis coming along? Have you try it? Because I'm planning to purchase the soft flex to replace my old 417 chassis..but not sure which manufacture should I purchase...

If any of you can recomend which one better please let me know, I'll be using for out door aspall med grip track...

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
rtypec,

How did you like running the R8 LMS? Just wondering how it compares to the NSXs that so many people run in GT1.
It's okay I suppose. That was the only body I've run with my 417X. Last weekend, I used an NSX, which felt better. YMYV
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by artwork
This is the setup I ran at IIC and it is a good high/med grip setup with both 17.5 boosted and non-boosted.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...mo_IIC2011.pdf
Originally Posted by k4mp4q
So Jo, how's the exotek chassis coming along? Have you try it? Because I'm planning to purchase the soft flex to replace my old 417 chassis..but not sure which manufacture should I purchase...

If any of you can recomend which one better please let me know, I'll be using for out door aspall med grip track...

Thanks
Art - Thanks. I saw your setup posted there already. I am running a 417x so that is why I hesitated. I will give it a shot and change the link spacers accordingly. Thanks!

Joe tried his exotek chassis and loved it. Don't think he has a direct comparison yet as he ran on a different track than normal however was running well I am sure.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
You should contact SkaterX on the Canadian forum, either NASCAR or CARCAR forum, he had a very good setup on a high traction carpet track. I believe he drives for Borgfelt/Tamiya Canada, but I don't know if they have a setup forum.
Can't seem to find those forums?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can't seem to find those forums?
Try this and then pm him.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...lgary-834.html POST #12509
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is a good ride height for asphalt tracks.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup like Zoof said I am liking the exotek stiff chassis for carpet. Car seems a bit more free and easier to find good balance in the setup.

I will be running on our track again next weekend so I will have a better feel for it with some open practice.

I am going to get the flex chassis for asphalt as well.

RCguy if your track has no bumps run it as low as you can without scraping too much, that will just slow you down. That being said I like to be around 4.8-5mm all the time
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Ride height off

Hello all I just got a used TRF 417 and the rideheight in the rear right (battery side) is 1 mm higher than the rear left with the same shock length and preload.
The battery is pushed out as far as possible and the car is balanced left/right.
I double checked the shocks and they are all the same.
I set the chassis flat and tightened the topdeck on a flat surface many times with no change. THe chassis seems flat but the rideheight is still off.
Is it like this for everyone? Or do I need to change the hubs or the bearings or something? What's the usual cause?
Thx.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvetsFidrat
Hello all I just got a used TRF 417 and the rideheight in the rear right (battery side) is 1 mm higher than the rear left with the same shock length and preload.
The battery is pushed out as far as possible and the car is balanced left/right.
I double checked the shocks and they are all the same.
I set the chassis flat and tightened the topdeck on a flat surface many times with no change. THe chassis seems flat but the rideheight is still off.
Is it like this for everyone? Or do I need to change the hubs or the bearings or something? What's the usual cause?
Thx.
send us a picture? did you check for bent pins, loosen the 3x10 screw in suspension arm and then check height?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.