Like Tree90Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Did a lot of track width testing today. For my car, the end that is wider has more lateral grip. Which sounds good to me as it aligns with theory, wider has less lateral weight transfer = more grip from both tires.
Especially on-power from mid corner to exit. If rear is wider I can catch the slide. If narrower, sudden spinout.
Yours might work well depending on other areas (e.g. camber, toe, etc). Mine was at zero camber all around, 2deg toe rear, 0deg toe front. M-grip tires all around.
Maybe you used a front tire with less grip than the rear?

Not quite. I used the setup you posted on your Webby (thanks for that!) But in a lwb, servo and ESC in centre (I dstaped both down), long to shocks all round (and towers), hingepin ball studs all round, and 6mm front, 4mm rear hexes.

Tires are Tamiya type B (outdoor) with hard inserts for front, soft inserts for rear (for tac), or team powers 32r(for non-tac)

Track is outdoor mid traction asphalt.

i find that having a wide rear does make the rear a little looser out of a turn. But I'll go try with wide rears again.

Alexander
Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

What is a good handling 225mm body that fits the M06? Must be a Tamiya shell. I already have the Alfa Giulia body but want to see what else works.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What is a good handling 225mm body that fits the M06? Must be a Tamiya shell. I already have the Alfa Giulia body but want to see what else works.
I think the new Miata is 225mm wheelbase and fits the M06.
rccartips likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hi Matthias, Nice to here from you again. Is M06 still being raced in Germany? Porsha quit racing, so it's just me now. Yes, rear innermost gives most balanced movement with the stock front shock angle

So the headaches begin. First time out, was not even getting the car to go straight. Reasons 1) bad servo, not centering 2) front track wider than rear.
Because of that, hit something, destroyed the plastic steering linkage. Wanted to retire the M06 hahaha.
Fabricated a graphite steering plate from an old F103 fiberglass chassis. Now back to testing.

However the 8 year old plastics are disintegrating. Shock towers, steering linkage, servo holder, are just cracking to dust
ahh yes the old plastic! I had to refresh mine in 2016 as well.. the gear box, rear tower, front hinge pin holders all had cracks! I believe the entire chassis is now refreshed with acception of main chassis tub.. still original.. but I do have a new one just in case.

The plastic Tamiya used is these m chassis kits is too brittle to begin with.. there is no flex in it whatsoever.. so a good impact will break it.

I havent been running mine much as no one runs m chassis at my track.. however April will be our TCS race and I will definitely be partaking in that race.
rccartips and ruebiracer like this.

Last edited by Raman; 01-20-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I agree with Ruebiracer.. new Miata would probably be the best handling body.. I have one nib but cant bring myself to depart from my beloved Giulia.. so if you decide to go that route.. pm me and we can make arrangements.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My 2004 M04 is still going strong without cracks and is faster than my M06. Many like the M06 but I feel it was a step backwards being heavier, brittle and complex to assemble/disassemble. If I could only race with my M04
Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

M06 Silvia in action

ruebiracer likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Really entertaining Joel! So she is not racing anymore, but still got her skills!
So I forgot to answer in my last post: M06 is quite rare in Germany, actually. Seems like only a few have the "balls" to use it against the FWDs.
I also still got my M04, but would never like to go back to it. M06 was in my experience easier to drive, more stable and less prone to grip roll. The additional weight was never a backdraw to the other Ms in my experience. It just helped to stick the beast to the ground on high grip carpet especially.
From the plastics quality, the M06 is comparable to M05 in my eyes, (I have 2), and my M06 took a lot of abuse and fights with the big 4WD touring cars. So its o.k. for me that the front upper part finally broke. Knuckles were quite flexible when new. So was the rear shock tower mount, where the camber links attach to. Those mounts were bending on hard side impacts and changing toe settings.But I switch to aluminum knuckles on all my Ms for racing, the Tamiya alu as the 3 Racing and Eagle Racing material is really strong. Yeah Racing is not as strong to my experiences.Im keen on some tuning and refreshing of my M06, so I want to switch to one piece wishbones, and TB05 Aluminum diff housing. (not that its really needed). And I started a second M06 build recently, based on the Eagle racing chassis kit I have lying since years and some spare parts: I want to build a 210mm Lancia Stratos with middle engine from this pieces, as a nice Sunday racer / shelf queen car.Many thanks for your video tutorial, really kind to show us your excellent build skills. Will try to use some of your technologies for my cars, too.And Im really curious about your progresses the next months.

Kind regards from Germany,

Matthias
rccartips likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

The M04 is a myth to most of us as the majority could never get it to behave. Theres probably 10 people worldwide that could win at the helm of the M04 and one would be Joel. The rest of us mere mortals are not worthy lol.

i had one years ago but had no idea how to set up as I do now.. so who knows if I still had it.. I might be able to get it to behave.. but still doubt I could get it to work like my M06.

M06 is still one of my favourite chassis.. absolute pride and joy. I feel accomplished having been able to unravel the mystery and make it perform. I wish Tamiya had released two option compounds of plastic... one with flex like the TA/TB series and carbon infused like the TRF.

But at this point.. its at the end of its life.. if its replace it will be similar to M08.. which should be interesting as we would get a car with much improved suspension geometry.

albeit, I know many die hard M chassis guys that dont like the M07.. say its not the same to drive.. and I get that too.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

It seems Joel has added some fuel to fire here. Our local TCS race is not until april but I set out to fine tune my M06. I started on the rear and worked on taking the play out of the rear. I used Joels CA method on the arms which worked like a charm. My rear hubs are the aluminium and axles are the CVD. What I found interesting about the CVDs was that shimming in between bearings did not work so well. When I looked at the CVD axle.. on the inner part where axle meets the cup, there is a lowered surface. Thats the area I ended up shimming. I also found it useful to doing the trial and error test it outside of the up right. I would add shims, add inner bearing, add centre spacer, add outer bearing, cross pin and hex and see how much play there was.

After finishing the rear I set out on the front.. which is always much worse on the M chassis cars. I not only needed to put CA on the suspension arms, I ended up adding some to the C hub and the Chassis pin holder. End result became a little tight.. so I had to hone the holes. Its still a little tighter than I like but after some laps I am sure it will loosen up. Im curious to know how long the CA will last before slop settles back in..

I ended up changing to a new centre main tub.. as there were cracks in multiple screw holes. I had one new in my spares so it was time.. after 9 years!

Last I tried to measure as Joel had done for the suspension travel. This I found most daunting as I was not coming up with distance numbers anywhere close to his. Joel, if you could elaborate the two points you used to measure it would be great.

I ended up using a long screw and placing it in each shock hole. Then I would measure from the top of the shock to this long screw and record the distance travelled from 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 mm. I am using the optional carbon rear shock tower, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also found measuring the inner shock hole the most difficult as there is no way to get a straight / linear measurement using a calliper. Space is tight.

I am able to report just as Joel showed.. the centre shock hole does show odd results. So probably best to avoid.. oddly enough.. that was the hole I was using haha. The inner hole is the most linear.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Raman,

I measured the suspension from the inside neck of the ballstuds by the inside caliper.
Our reading will differ, depending on the vertical plane inclination of our upper/lower studs.
Took several readings (all different) and just averaged it out.
RWD is fun and challenging, keeps me playing. FWD/4WD is zzzzzzzzzz.
Been playing everyday and enjoying RWDs. Today will test neon red vs neon yellow. Then a softer gear diff.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The CA method?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Watch RC car tips video.. where he applies a tiny bit of ca glue to suspension arms to take out the slop
Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Raman,

I measured the suspension from the inside neck of the ballstuds by the inside caliper.
Our reading will differ, depending on the vertical plane inclination of our upper/lower studs.
Took several readings (all different) and just averaged it out.
RWD is fun and challenging, keeps me playing. FWD/4WD is zzzzzzzzzz.
Been playing everyday and enjoying RWDs. Today will test neon red vs neon yellow. Then a softer gear diff.

I agree. I had an M05 for a brief period. The Mini body made it fun and cute to run.. but I got. Items quickly.

The M06 is more like driving an f1 for me.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I remember just before getting back into racing at the end of 2011, I was practicing with my M06 Pro at a small gray carpet track at a local hobby store. On foam tires and a black sport tuned Tamiya brushed motor, it was stupidly fun to drive.
rccartips likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service