Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brgr56
Question - just built my TC6.1 and on first bench test spool up the rear (gear) diff leaked a bit of oil, not a ton, but enough to coat the rear belt. I think I may have overfilled it. The diff doesnt seem to be leaking anymore and offers smooth resistance when turning the wheels - do you think I need to rebuild? Or did it just get rid of the 'excess' oil?

Thanks in advance!
Most likely it just spit out overfill, most gear diffs do that. Run it on the track once and see if it still leaks, and if it does then rebuild it
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

has anyone seemed to notice that this car likes a higher rollcenter than other cars? ive gone through numerous set up on Petitrc.com and rc10.com and for the most part even in low bite situations more often than not the drivers ran 0B arm mounts or something close to this. now from my experience a lower roll center will allow the car to roll more and have more grip so how could it be that in low bite most ran such a high roll center for the lower arm mounts a few of the other fast guys have been trying to guide my in the right direction for my set up but my car is still not carrying the corner speed I would like it too. could a " higher" roll center theoretically allow the car to carry more speed? Sorry im kinda thinking out loud and looking for some input I just found this odd.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default car tracks left

I've noticed that whenever my car comes off a setup station it always tracks to the right. Based on previous experience it's not related to the following: setup station, tires, or track surface. I know that my spur gear is misaligned. Any advice on what to check or try?

I adjust the car in this order:
Ride Height
Droop
Check servo & bell crank for square
Toe
Camber

Front

[] []

\ <------ direction spur gear points looking down on the car

[] []

Rear
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Walter Johnson
I've noticed that whenever my car comes off a setup station it always tracks to the right. Based on previous experience it's not related to the following: setup station, tires, or track surface. I know that my spur gear is misaligned. Any advice on what to check or try?

I adjust the car in this order:
Ride Height
Droop
Check servo & bell crank for square
Toe
Camber

Front

[] []

\ <------ direction spur gear points looking down on the car

[] []

Rear
Wheels might not be equally loaded left to right. A quick test you can do after making sure all the other settings are done is balance the car on the edge of a table assuming the edge of the table runs perpendicular to the length of the car. The edge of the table will be the fulcrum point. Insert a small screwdriver into the balance hole of the main chassis and slowly lift the end of the car that is not over the table. As the tires on the other end make contact with the table watch them compress. You should see the shocks compress equally. If not you will need to either add preload to the side that is compressing faster or take a little out of the other side. Swap ends and do the same. Assuming one side of the car isn't way heavier than the other the overall preload should be very close left to right. This isn't a substitute for a set-up station but a quick test you can do which will tell you quickly if something is off.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looking for some help setting up my 6.1 for parking lot racing here in San Diego. This is the track layout (may change a little but not much). Rough - bumpy areas with medium traction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1COR...9&feature=plcp

Here is the setup sheet I am following:

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...CA2_6-2012.pdf

Seems i am sliding a lot and can't carry speed through the corners. Some is prolly due to me being a noob but I know how to spot/follow a race line. Running a revtech 17.5 (no boost or esc timing) with gearing @ 69/37 so ~ 3.73 fdr. I have a Tekin RS in there now with the choice of an LRP Sxx Stock Spec v2. Usually start with sorex 36s in the am and move to 40s as the asphalt heats up.

I just can't seem to get the times out of the car the fast guys are getting. Not even close as they are regularly running 4 or 5 laps more pre qual/main than I am and some of the "stock" sedans pull away from me on the straight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer x 1
has anyone seemed to notice that this car likes a higher rollcenter than other cars? ive gone through numerous set up on Petitrc.com and rc10.com and for the most part even in low bite situations more often than not the drivers ran 0B arm mounts or something close to this. now from my experience a lower roll center will allow the car to roll more and have more grip so how could it be that in low bite most ran such a high roll center for the lower arm mounts a few of the other fast guys have been trying to guide my in the right direction for my set up but my car is still not carrying the corner speed I would like it too. could a " higher" roll center theoretically allow the car to carry more speed? Sorry im kinda thinking out loud and looking for some input I just found this odd.
I would try the 3A arm ounts. The lower mounts will get you more grip in the corner, but also more roll. To fight the roll, run your camber links short, this will allow your car to rotate quickly and keep your corner speed up.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BadSign
I would try the 3A arm ounts. The lower mounts will get you more grip in the corner, but also more roll. To fight the roll, run your camber links short, this will allow your car to rotate quickly and keep your corner speed up.
Awesome. My car is actually a tek6 so im raising the lower arm mounts by 1mm all around. Previously as a tc6 my car carried a little more speed but was much harder to drive. So am i right to suspect my car might have too much roll?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AJSanDiego
Looking for some help setting up my 6.1 for parking lot racing here in San Diego. This is the track layout (may change a little but not much). Rough - bumpy areas with medium traction:

Seems i am sliding a lot and can't carry speed through the corners. Some is prolly due to me being a noob but I know how to spot/follow a race line. Running a revtech 17.5 (no boost or esc timing) with gearing @ 69/37 so ~ 3.73 fdr. I have a Tekin RS in there now with the choice of an LRP Sxx Stock Spec v2. Usually start with sorex 36s in the am and move to 40s as the asphalt heats up.

I just can't seem to get the times out of the car the fast guys are getting. Not even close as they are regularly running 4 or 5 laps more pre qual/main than I am and some of the "stock" sedans pull away from me on the straight.

Are you sliding when you are going into a corner, when you come out or both? What is your ride height and your roll-center setting? I've experienced that the car has a lot of low speed cornering while using the default setup.

What kind of diffs/spool are you running?

That setup is for a pretty smooth track (with some bumbs - see http://www.wlrc.co.uk/), but you can't really compare it to the track where you run at. Maybe you can look for a more suitable setup? I'm not used to run on parking lots (this is not common around here), but maybe some other guys can help you out.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AJSanDiego

Hi AJ,

Was a fairly bumpy track so I think your HPI blue springs are way too aggressive and also you are a tad undergeared. We were at 3.5 fdr with a fan on the motor. Will probably go 3.4 for the next round as I hear there will actually be a straight away.

Here was my run with a fairly soft set up and seriously used up tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Xmn...feature=relmfu

Bring your car around the next race and I'll see if I can help out.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dennisV
Are you sliding when you are going into a corner, when you come out or both? What is your ride height and your roll-center setting? I've experienced that the car has a lot of low speed cornering while using the default setup.

What kind of diffs/spool are you running?

That setup is for a pretty smooth track (with some bumbs - see http://www.wlrc.co.uk/), but you can't really compare it to the track where you run at. Maybe you can look for a more suitable setup? I'm not used to run on parking lots (this is not common around here), but maybe some other guys can help you out.
Mostly as I come out of a turn. Given the surface most guys I see are running 6mm f 5.5mm r ride height with the stock spool in front and gear in rear. Handling is otherwise pretty responsive. Love the car
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hi AJ,

Was a fairly bumpy track so I think your HPI blue springs are way too aggressive and also you are a tad undergeared. We were at 3.5 fdr with a fan on the motor. Will probably go 3.4 for the next round as I hear there will actually be a straight away.

Here was my run with a fairly soft set up and seriously used up tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Xmn...feature=relmfu

Bring your car around the next race and I'll see if I can help out.
Will do Mike. I switched last race to AE silver in front and green in rear and felt an immediate improvement. I've got a 39t pinion so I could get close to 3.5fdr - I'd need to be extra mindful of the temps though - correct? Also noticed that Not saucing the tires helped as well. I installed the RSD shock pinstons and soft bladders this week as well. I'll get with you Saturday. I don't think the car is that far away really. Being a noob to onroad though there seems to be so many more tweaks possible.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

AJ, from that set-up, I would go with the 0B roll centers all around as they tend to generate better traction all around, which should translate into better corner speed. Try 40 wt front and 30 with our pistons to start. Use 3-3.5 degrees of rear toe, with the inside upper camber link on the tower position all around. Set droop at 6F 5R to start.

For the shameless plug, try using our springs on the car. With the TC6 a combo of 15.5 F and 13.5 R is really nice.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
AJ, from that set-up, I would go with the 0B roll centers all around as they tend to generate better traction all around, which should translate into better corner speed. Try 40 wt front and 30 with our pistons to start. Use 3-3.5 degrees of rear toe, with the inside upper camber link on the tower position all around. Set droop at 6F 5R to start.

For the shameless plug, try using our springs on the car. With the TC6 a combo of 15.5 F and 13.5 R is really nice.
Awesome - thanks for the tips. Luckily - those shocks are easy as hell to build with your stuff!

Ya - I have a bunch of your stuff on the wish list. Mike's stuff as well
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer x 1
Yes TC6 seems to like running higher roll center specially on the rear.. Car likes shorter link... I tried running it with lower roll center like what the pro was running at the REEDY race this year car was horrible...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Yes TC6 seems to like running higher roll center specially on the rear.. Car likes shorter link... I tried running it with lower roll center like what the pro was running at the REEDY race this year car was horrible...

lol thats odd! This whollllllleeee time ive been messing with the car and listening to some of local sedan guru's with this feeling that "this" car is different meaning ive been going the wrong way. Also I noticed right off the bat that something was off in my set up and slowly Ive been going through and making more changes to the car and now I am confident that she'll be dialed next time out Game on!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.