Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC6 Thread >

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 AM
  #7426  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Dog Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Fjeld
Turn the diff holders so the diff and spool are at highest point in the car, you will then get a higher roll senter.
Can someone explain this statement? The height of the diff has no bearing (ha) on the roll center since roll center is defined by the upper links and the lower suspension arms.

Changing the angle of the drive shaft by raising/lowering the diff may alter the efficiency of the drive train at various suspension angles (+/- chatter, for example), but it won't alter the roll center.
Dog Bone is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
  #7427  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,165
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Can someone explain this statement? The height of the diff has no bearing (ha) on the roll center since roll center is defined by the upper links and the lower suspension arms.

Changing the angle of the drive shaft by raising/lowering the diff may alter the efficiency of the drive train at various suspension angles (+/- chatter, for example), but it won't alter the roll center.
Your statement is correct. The things that change the roll center is the lower suspension blocks and the upper link positions.

I guess most of us missed that statement. There is no such thing as a diff roll center. It is just a diff height change, which only affects how the car lifts or squats under power due to drive shaft angles.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
  #7428  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Dog Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Your statement is correct. The things that change the roll center is the lower suspension blocks and the upper link positions.

I guess most of us missed that statement. There is no such thing as a diff roll center. It is just a diff height change, which only affects how the car lifts or squats under power due to drive shaft angles.
Thanks - I've seen that statement made a few times in various places - glad I'm on the right side for a change

Raising the diff would of course raise the center of mass, which would introduce more roll (since the R/C would have a larger radius to work around), but you are *not* changing the roll center.

Perhaps that's what he's referring to?
Dog Bone is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM
  #7429  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,165
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

The difference in weight of moving the diff is not that great. However drive shaft angles will have an effect on handling. A drive shaft has a natural tendency of wanting to straighten itself out under power, so the higher it is, the more the car is going to want to straighten itself and lift the a-arms. Opposite would be true if it was lower.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
  #7430  
AE-Reedy
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 786
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RussF
What length front and rear camber links do I need to use the 1-6 holes on the shock towers of a TC6?

A part number would be most helpfull.
AE #1401 1.3" Ti turnbuckle
Sean Cochran is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM
  #7431  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,567
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The difference in weight of moving the diff is not that great. However drive shaft angles will have an effect on handling. A drive shaft has a natural tendency of wanting to straighten itself out under power, so the higher it is, the more the car is going to want to straighten itself and lift the a-arms. Opposite would be true if it was lower.
What creates the straightening force? Is it the rotation, or is it torque that's applied? i.e. Would the effect be relative to car speed, or would it be relative to whether you're on power / neutral / braking?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
  #7432  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,165
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I think it might be a combination of both, but lean towards torque. We did a lot of testing with John Stranahan like 10 years ago on dogbone angles. From our testing, we noticed most of the "straightening tendency of the drive shaft" happens when you apply power.

The effect can be achieved by having dog bone sweep and by moving the diff up or down. Typically when the dogbones are swept forward in the front the car will push the arms down and accelerate better on power which assists in rotation (more on power steering) which is better for slower classes. When they are swept back, it makes the car mellower and easier to drive, which assists in the mod classes.
CristianTabush is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM
  #7433  
Tech Apprentice
 
Fjeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Thanks - I've seen that statement made a few times in various places - glad I'm on the right side for a change

Raising the diff would of course raise the center of mass, which would introduce more roll (since the R/C would have a larger radius to work around), but you are *not* changing the roll center.

Perhaps that's what he's referring to?
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The difference in weight of moving the diff is not that great. However drive shaft angles will have an effect on handling. A drive shaft has a natural tendency of wanting to straighten itself out under power, so the higher it is, the more the car is going to want to straighten itself and lift the a-arms. Opposite would be true if it was lower.
Thank you for corecting me
Anyway, when I raised the diff and spool the car did realy calm down and was alot easier to drive
Fjeld is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
  #7434  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 76
Default

Hi All,

I am a bit lost and I hope you may help me.
I just received my brand new TC6.1 Factory Team Kit. I moved from Nitro Offroad to Electric Onroad. I want to use a GM 13,5T engine (no timing). And I am now totally lost regarding the final ratio and the pinion I should use.
The kit contains the 87T Spu Gear with 48Pitch if I am right.
I am driving at an indoor carpet track.
The diagram in the instruction manual shows min. 28T for an 87T Spur Gear. Total Ratio 6.21. But I read in a couple of articels as well as in some setup sheets to go with 4.5 total ratio.
I need some help from the community.

Thanks in advance
racer_hh
racer_hh is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  #7435  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,827
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

The 87t gear is for running mod. You will want a smaller one for running spec classes. I run a 96t 64p spur for spec
geeunit1014 is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
  #7436  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 200
Default

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Can someone explain this statement? The height of the diff has no bearing (ha) on the roll center since roll center is defined by the upper links and the lower suspension arms.

Changing the angle of the drive shaft by raising/lowering the diff may alter the efficiency of the drive train at various suspension angles (+/- chatter, for example), but it won't alter the roll center.
Just to throw a little something to the mix, raising or lowering the diffs will essentially raise or lower the CG a little therefore have a direct effect on the roll center, you haven't changed the roll center through the normal suspension geometry but in a sence the roll centers effects will change due to the relation with the cars CG.

Any way on a different note, I need to "flatten" the car out with relation to my tracks infield, any pointers on wich blocks and position to run, I'm runneing 13.5 boosted and have the suspension all sorted just need to dial out the excessive roll, my mates T3 picks up a third of a second every lap through our infield and it sits nice and flat.
B.C.Ninja is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
  #7437  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
mtbboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winnipeg. Igloo. Hockey. Beer.
Posts: 715
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by B.C.Ninja
Just to throw a little something to the mix, raising or lowering the diffs will essentially raise or lower the CG a little therefore have a direct effect on the roll center, you haven't changed the roll center through the normal suspension geometry but in a sence the roll centers effects will change due to the relation with the cars CG.

Any way on a different note, I need to "flatten" the car out with relation to my tracks infield, any pointers on wich blocks and position to run, I'm runneing 13.5 boosted and have the suspension all sorted just need to dial out the excessive roll, my mates T3 picks up a third of a second every lap through our infield and it sits nice and flat.
Short links all around.
Stand up rear shocks.
Raise roll center.
Stiffer springs.

These all come at the cost of possibly removing grip.
Try one at a time.
D.
mtbboy is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM
  #7438  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 76
Default

May somebody help me on finding the right ratio (as mentioned some posts before).
TC6.1 13,5t engine and carpet track. What spur gear / engine pinion should I take.
Thanks
racer_hh is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
  #7439  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 76
Default

May somebody help me on finding the right ratio (as mentioned some posts before).
TC6.1 13,5t engine and carpet track. What spur gear / engine pinion should I take.
Thanks
racer_hh is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM
  #7440  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Default

Are you running boosted or blinky?
This will have a massive effect on gearing.
cyclonetog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.