Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey guys i dont know if this is the right place to ask but i figured many of you guys would know the answer. I am fairly new to rc, and have been running offroad, but onroad is pretty popular at my local track, especially since the season is about to kick off. I would love to get a tc6/6.1 even though i dont have a clue what the differences are between the two, but I can't seem to find a roller thats in my budget. One of the local guys said he has a tc5 with a bunch of parts, that hed sell to me. What are the big differences from tc5 to tc6 as well as part availability. And what would be a reasonable price to pay for a tc5.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Personally, I haven't owned the TC5. However, the TC6 and 6.1 were made to improve a car with some inherent flaws. Looking at the two side by side you can see a drastic different. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd watch for a decent Tc6 for sale here with someone with good feedback.

TC5-more setup for a nimh battery... whereas the tc6 is setup for the lipos

shock towers are more adjustable on the tc6. top deck is narrower, allowing more space for the lipo. Everything seems to be moving towards a better center of gravity in the middle of the car including the chassis being narrower.

These are just a few things. You can also update the tc6 slowly to a tc6.1 over time to have the most up to date vehicle. I'm sure someone will have a better answer, but this is a start.

If you can find a TC5 in your price range with some parts, its by no means a bad option, but keep your eye open and you may find a tc6 in the same range if you're patient.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jirish617
What are the big differences from tc5 to tc6 as well as part availability. And what would be a reasonable price to pay for a tc5.
Parts would not be a problem for either model. We ran both at Leisure last year in VTA, with fairly equal results and similar lap times with both. The TC6 is a bit easier to setup because it was designed around the lipo pack (as mentioned) while the TC5 was a nimh design. They can both be made to run well, there's just a bigger sweet spot with the setup on the TC6. It's much better balanced out of the box, and you're not adding weight in less than ideal places to offset the lipo. I know we've been at the track together a few times but haven't personally spoken - if by any chance (it doesn't rain and) you're headed to Leisure this Saturday you can take one of our 6.1's out for a spin - let me know.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
Personally, I haven't owned the TC5. However, the TC6 and 6.1 were made to improve a car with some inherent flaws. Looking at the two side by side you can see a drastic different. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd watch for a decent Tc6 for sale here with someone with good feedback.

TC5-more setup for a nimh battery... whereas the tc6 is setup for the lipos

shock towers are more adjustable on the tc6. top deck is narrower, allowing more space for the lipo. Everything seems to be moving towards a better center of gravity in the middle of the car including the chassis being narrower.

These are just a few things. You can also update the tc6 slowly to a tc6.1 over time to have the most up to date vehicle. I'm sure someone will have a better answer, but this is a start.

If you can find a TC5 in your price range with some parts, its by no means a bad option, but keep your eye open and you may find a tc6 in the same range if you're patient.
thanks for the info! Well really im just trying to build an on-road car for a reasonable price, buying a new roller is out of the question.

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Parts would not be a problem for either model. We ran both at Leisure last year in VTA, with fairly equal results and similar lap times with both. The TC6 is a bit easier to setup because it was designed around the lipo pack (as mentioned) while the TC5 was a nimh design. They can both be made to run well, there's just a bigger sweet spot with the setup on the TC6. It's much better balanced out of the box, and you're not adding weight in less than ideal places to offset the lipo. I know we've been at the track together a few times but haven't personally spoken - if by any chance (it doesn't rain and) you're headed to Leisure this Saturday you can take one of our 6.1's out for a spin - let me know.
I'm sure its possible we have been there before together, i dont know many of the guys names on here. I unfortunately wont be there saturday, sunday i will because its the last points race for offroad. After that its a hit or miss because I am finishing up school so I got alot of clinical hours to get done. Odds are I wont be back there till end of april to mid may. If you do see happen to see me there let me know, i'll try to find to squeeze a random day in if i can
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ghiro
Anyone have experienced Zeppin's 2,1mm chassis with battery clamp type holder?
I just bought one and would like to have a feedback or a comparison to the original chassis.
Thanks

???
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

if you bought one then you will notice the difference between them when you test!

been looking at that chassi myself, would be nice to hear som feedback about the differences! will buy and test the zeppin flex topdeck as soon as the outdoor seasong starts here
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Does somebody know where to get part # 31341.. In all shops they are in backorder. Yeah, i'm aware of the teamassociated shop, but they are shit on shipping costs to the Netherlands.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Originally Posted by jirish617
hey guys i dont know if this is the right place to ask but i figured many of you guys would know the answer. I am fairly new to rc, and have been running offroad, but onroad is pretty popular at my local track, especially since the season is about to kick off. I would love to get a tc6/6.1 even though i dont have a clue what the differences are between the two, but I can't seem to find a roller thats in my budget. One of the local guys said he has a tc5 with a bunch of parts, that hed sell to me. What are the big differences from tc5 to tc6 as well as part availability. And what would be a reasonable price to pay for a tc5.
The TC5 was not competitive even a few years ago. Save yourself the headache and find a used TC6 roller... hands down a much improved car, and able to compete with the Tamiyas and XRays of today. I always felt the TC5 felt strange on asphalt, and never tracked straight. The top deck was akward and cumbersome, the shocks were marginal at best. Everything in the TC6 is laid out lower and closer to the center... makes for noticeable handling on track.

Only my opinion.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I only just upgraded racing my TC6 from my TC5. As people have said, everything is much improved on the TC6, from the steering assembly, shocks, chassis, bulkheads, the option of running gear diffs, etc etc.

Having said that, I still had my TC5 running fantastic on medium grip ashphalt (3 PBs in one club meeting before I "retired" it).

Given the choice, I would definitely look at a TC6 over the TC5.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So I bought one of these motors:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ess-Motor-105T thinking that if the shaft flat was too short I would use a dremel to lengthen it.
But the flat is as far back as it can go and the top of the motor has that hump where the bearing sits.

It only allows for the pinion to cover about 1/3 of the spur...and if I flip the pinion the set screw hits the belt...
Any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChampRC
So I bought one of these motors:http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ess-Motor-105T thinking that if the shaft flat was too short I would use a dremel to lengthen it.
But the flat is as far back as it can go and the top of the motor has that hump where the bearing sits.

It only allows for the pinion to cover about 1/3 of the spur...and if I flip the pinion the set screw hits the belt...
Any suggestions?
You can pick up an offset spur or use a motor spacer. There are some out there.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
You can pick up an offset spur or use a motor spacer. There are some out there.
Thanks, is Xray the only one that makes the offset spur gear?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dennisV
Does somebody know where to get part # 31341.. In all shops they are in backorder. Yeah, i'm aware of the teamassociated shop, but they are shit on shipping costs to the Netherlands.
I ordered them yesterday at gshobby.com.
I am very curious as to how long it takes to get them.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really don't like doing this but I am left no real choice. I have a brand new 6.1 sitting on the work bench, the steering blocks are binding up real bad.I called Associacted monday and was sent some new bushings, that did noe fix the problem.
I called this wednesday and spoke to Brad who was going to get with the negineer and have him contact me to see if they could figure out what is wrong. Three guesses as to the result of that. I called today and every body was at luch, that's understandable but was told by Don that he would have the engineer call me when he came back from lunch. It is nor two hours later and guess what still noone calling me back as PROMISED!
I really don't like putting this on the board but I left with no choice, since they are really not trying to help me with my $390.00 paper weight.
It;s too late on friday to get any new parts so another weekend of racing is going by the way side.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT ASSOCIATED.
So if anybody has a real insight I would appreciate it. The screws are in stragiht and I really don't think sand the chub is a good answer.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

bring your car to your local track and have someone take a look at your car and maybe there are experienced people there who can help you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.