Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Exterminator,

Where did you get those Aluminium steering parts from???

Cheers
Mick
Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just picked up a XXX-S this week. It came with some spare parts, its already got the HD belt mod and everything has been changed over to graphite parts except the diff covers and the front arms, rpm ball cups, etc. Seems like a good car, cant wait to drive it. Got some questions though.

With the intro of the JRXS, does Losi have plans to discontinue the XXX-S? Hope not, I dont want to start off carpet/asphalt racing with a lack of parts support.

When I roll the car on a flat surface it feels like something in the front diff is catching. Push the car along gently with one finger and it rolls but you can feel it hit the same point everytime where it feels like it hits a snag or missing tooth in the diff. Ive inspected the belt very closely and see nothing wrong with it. If you roll it along faster it isnt really noticeable. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?

BTW, how much lighter is this car VS. my rs4 pro3? It feels like it has way less rolling resistance than the rs4 which Im sure means it will be quicker.

Last thing. I know this car was run on carpet before. SHouldnt it be set up with the droop screws in the bumpers? It looks like they have never been threaded in before.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Do carpet racers use the front shocks on the rear also?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rivbluenoma
When I roll the car on a flat surface it feels like something in the front diff is catching. Push the car along gently with one finger and it rolls but you can feel it hit the same point everytime where it feels like it hits a snag or missing tooth in the diff. Ive inspected the belt very closely and see nothing wrong with it. If you roll it along faster it isnt really noticeable. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?
Does it have a spool installed; instead of a diff?

Last thing. I know this car was run on carpet before. SHouldnt it be set up with the droop screws in the bumpers? It looks like they have never been threaded in before.
Advanced drivers use spacers inside the shocks on the shafts to set droop instead of the screws in the bumper (too flexy). Open the shocks and check for spacers under the pistons that limit their down travel.

Last edited by JRX-S Bill; 09-17-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Do carpet racers use the front shocks on the rear also?
Nope.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Does it have a spool installed; instead of a diff?

Advanced drivers use spacers inside the shocks on the shafts to set droop instead of the screws in the bumper (too flexy). Open the shocks and check for spacers under the pistons that limit their down travel.
Thanx for the advice. I will check into both issues. Will the spool look like a diff? Or will I know the difference when I see it? When I spin either front wheel in a forward or reverse direction the opposite front wheel does not spin at all. Not sure what that means? Also narrowed it down with a quick look, theres something binding but only on the right front of the car. Hope I can get some time to tear into it tomorrow. Sorry for the newb questions. This is my first real touring car. The RS4 doesnt count,it never really got driven.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hmmm.... If there is some sort of a "catch" in the front end, and if one front wheel seems to bind...

One possibility is that if that corner's CVD setscrew has loosened, the pin can work off to one side. This allows the pin to extend outside the CVD bone's "cup"... In the front end, that extended pin will occasionally 'tick' or 'catch' in the hub...

It's worth a check...

OH -- the "spool"... if it is the G+ style, it is simply a diff with the rings replaced with "cardboard" like material and normally the diff balls are removed...

However, if turning one front wheel does NOT result in the other front wheel rotating, then it is not a spool -- at least not a properly working one... That would normally indicate a diff that is so bad it slips rather than "diffs"....
Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Tore into the car tonite. The front diff mystery is solved. Guess the previous owner installed a losi one way front diff. Found the reason for that bind in the right front wheel. Chunk out of the inner wheel was hitting the turnbuckle.

Last edited by rivbluenoma; 09-20-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rivbluenoma
I just picked up a XXX-S this week. It came with some spare parts, its already got the HD belt mod and everything has been changed over to graphite parts except the diff covers and the front arms, rpm ball cups, etc. Seems like a good car, cant wait to drive it. Got some questions though.

With the intro of the JRXS, does Losi have plans to discontinue the XXX-S? Hope not, I dont want to start off carpet/asphalt racing with a lack of parts support.

BTW, how much lighter is this car VS. my rs4 pro3? It feels like it has way less rolling resistance than the rs4 which Im sure means it will be quicker.

Hi Cool-Can-Fan-Man here
I to have a XXX-S and suffered with this problem I found out after removeing the diff that a small piece of grit had gotten into the front pully once removed it was fine.
Regarding the droop screws, these were not a great idea as they are always moving so to stop using them remove them and make the front shocks 60.5mm and the rear 65.5mm you may need spacers for this action
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone here had a chance to look at the arms on the JRX-S? Would there be a possibility of a retrofit onto the xxx-s like when the x-ray guys went to short arms?? I know the inner mounts would have to be custom made, but would there be alot to the outer where the c-hub mounts? I haven't had a chance to look at the new arms yet, so I'm looking for opinions.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

It would probably take alot of modifaction but it could be done.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Trakside Trucke
I to have a XXX-S and suffered with this problem I found out after removeing the diff that a small piece of grit had gotten into the front pully once removed it was fine.
Found the reason for that bind in the right front wheel. Chunk out of the inner wheel was hitting the turnbuckle. Its always something simple that Ive overlooked. :
Old 09-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Default XXX-S on slick parking lot...?

OK -- First, I've been running a XXX-S for a few years, but it was always just Stock class... This summer we're running Mod also, so I now have two Graphite XXX-S's and the Stock class car is "Killer" -- This weekend, I TQ'd by a lap and won the A-main by a lap.... The Mod class car is just "off"... It's almost like everything I learned over the years about setup works backwards with the higher speeds of Mod...

The track is a concrete parking lot at Home Depot in Columbia, Missouri... Smooth, but pretty slick, and it gets dusty/dirty and even when the club uses a high powered blower to clear the track, it is slick... But it's the same track for both classes so what the...

The problem is at the back... The Mod car is simply not able to drift through corners -- if the back slides at ALL, it spins out... In stock, I can actually hit the gas and the front end pulls the car back straight -- in Mod, nothing works... Anti-squat, pro-squat, front sway bar, it just stays unstable and unbalanced (High speed push in the sweeper, LOOSE in the tight bits, and LOOSE under power)....

Just to complicate matters, LOSI seems to suddenly have a quality control issue with shock springs... I bought some "fresh" springs for the rear, thinking mine might be fatigued or whatever... Well -- 1.15" Silver, 1.15" Red, and 1.15" Pink (Silver is my standard, but I thought I might try softer?).. All three are 1" NOT 1.15" -- OK that's just preload changes... Then I noticed they didn't "feel" right... I have a home built rig to check springs... guess what -- the Silver and Pink are the SAME stiffness, and the Reds are stiffer than those two... What the....?

Somebody help me....
Old 09-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Anybody with any tips or ideas?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Anybody with any tips or ideas?
tom, we have no idea the kind of your car setup is,
could you post your shock setup and front and rear geometry so it might any idea for yours,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.