Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

are any of you running the XXXS on carpet ? what i have seen on this thread has mainly been discussion of asphalt racing...the running changes (zero offset, 6 caster blocks, stiffer springs) that losi has made during the past year have really made this car great for carpet, too.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
The steel outdrives cause more friction which adds traction.... The same reason you would use CVD's on your XXX buggy instead of Losi universals..... I read about this in an old issue of R/C Car it was an ariticle on driveshafts written by Gil Losi Jr.

...also don't know if you guys are still discusisng the steel outdrive thing, but i wanted to confirm this quote. i pitted next to todd at the nats a few weeks ago and asked the same questions. apparently, the steel outdrives DO generate more traction at the respective end of the car. i also thought it was interesting that the guys used a little bit (enough to be visible)of brown losi grease on the pins of the CVD's and the slots of the steel outdrives.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

J.FILIPOW:

will check if the slop can be corrected with the re-alignment of the main pivot blocks...

also, we've been racing the G+ on carpet lately and it handles very well, but in my opinion, you really have to use heavier shock oil...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

highwayman- one thing that i forgot to mention about this subject, too, was to look at the condition of your 'A' and 'B' spacers that are standard issue in the kits and are used to change the wheelbase. if these are deformed or deteriorated, they can cause the slop. again, replace the spacers if needed.

"heavier oil" for your carpet track? i typically run losi 50 weight-even with my asphalt set ups- but i am trying 70 weight at the moment. there hasn't been a dramatic decrease in lap times, but definitely a more responsive ride. and why is your link under construction!? what a tease! ahahhah...
Old 07-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just added Todd Hodge's USTC setup to check that everything was working.

Didn't have a problem. If you enter a setup and get the error page please copy the page into an email and send to me using the email address on the page.

Also, you CANNOT use quotes or single quotes anywhere on the form. This will cause an error (it's a db thang).

Thanks for taking the time to try the form.

Also, if you down load the form you can fill it out at a later time. If your connected to the Internet when you hit the submit button it will send the info to the LosiBoard.com database.

Ned
Old 07-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ned911: i got a setup sheet posted already. apparently i had a single quote in one of the fields for notes. i made a slight error though which i only noticed after i submitted it. i entered "2F" in the rear pivot field ... obviously it should be 2R. anyway, im sure guys will figure it was just a typo. thanks.

Last edited by ROBORAT; 07-08-2003 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fixed that for ya.

I've been working on the search function but will probably be late next week before I get that on the site as I'm not sure exactly how to present the page.

Ned
Old 07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

ned: thanks. will hopefully be running in some large asphalt tracks soon so if i come up with another decent set-up, i may post it as well.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

J.Filipow - have you tried steel outdrives on carpet, or just asphalt?? That's probably the one thing i havent messed with on the car.. sounds interesting tho..

Also, if anyone has any carpet setups they'd like to share, that would be cool.. I've basically gone thru the list on the Losi site at least twice, so something different would be fun.. Thanks, Lars
Old 07-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by J.Filipow
highwayman- one thing that i forgot to mention about this subject, too, was to look at the condition of your 'A' and 'B' spacers that are standard issue in the kits and are used to change the wheelbase. if these are deformed or deteriorated, they can cause the slop. again, replace the spacers if needed.

"heavier oil" for your carpet track? i typically run losi 50 weight-even with my asphalt set ups- but i am trying 70 weight at the moment. there hasn't been a dramatic decrease in lap times, but definitely a more responsive ride. and why is your link under construction!? what a tease! ahahhah...
i think i need additional spacers... (really thin ones)

personally i like the way the car moves on 40 or 50 oil, however, heavier oil makes the car forging to drive... so, i guess i just seem to drive that better.. will be at the track tonight (carpet) will try 40 oil again... (too lazy to change)
Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

Lars: i just put one up in the losi board. check out the Rockwell Capet Track set up. But that track is very very .... very tight and we run mod with rubber tires so traction isnt as high as it would be if you guys run foams. dunno if it'll work for you but if you just wanna try somthing new, you may wanna check it out.

J.Filipow: am curious if you have tried the steel outdrives first hand as well. and if so, how do you like them? i believe i posted a quote from hodge regarding the steel outdrives as well. he mentioned they use the losi brown grease to keep the steel pins from binding too much with the steel outdrives. if i can get a hold of some id surely want to try some myself. doubt if our LHS will be bringing them in though since they just made an order and were unaware of this new development.

... by the way, for those who are interested, part number for the steel outdrives is LOSA3073 for the diff halves. you'll need to order two to make an assembly since they come individually. you'll also need a Diff Tube LOSA3072 - this is the male part of the diff assembly that goes into the steel diff cup ... i got this info from hodge's thread in tech talk.

highwayman: you guys still order losi parts or are you going to concentrate on the R2? id like to try those steel outdrives ...
Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ROBORAT
[B highwayman: you guys still order losi parts or are you going to concentrate on the R2? id like to try those steel outdrives ... [/B]
sent in our order 2 weeks ago na... i'm pretty sure steel outdrives are NOT included in the list, i wanted to try them out as well when i read it here...

but will check, i might be able to order 2 sets... (for the both us only)
Old 07-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Highwayman, hmmmm, why not 3?
Old 07-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Addict sa RC
Highwayman, hmmmm, why not 3?
i'm sorry, three it is...
Old 07-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Lars- this is my standard carpet setup that i have been relying on quite sometime. i have tried offset hubs, 6 degree blocks, etc, but nothing is a consistent or as fast as this setup for me...

carpet setup

front-
no toe, 4mm ride, -1.5 , 2 kick, 4 carrier,_ 2mm droop, 2F; losi 60
wt, 60 std, purple congo spring; arm forward, diff, #3 tower,
#2 link; low roll center; .28 shocks/shafts; .062 sway bar; 0.030
lexan hub shim each side

rear-
(optional 1/2 degree hubs L on R/R on L), 4mm ride, -1.5,
4 mm droop, 0R; losi 60 wt, 56 drilled, black spring, arm back, #4
tower out on arm, 1-B link, low roll center, 41 T pulley on diff, 0.030 lexan hub shim each side

tires
TRC plaid front/sauce as needed
TRC purple rear/sauce as needed
57 mm diameter

misc.
batt forward, losi alfa, full graphite car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.