Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is the front one way for the LOSI useful to have more acceleration out of the corners?

Is the standard differential lighter than the one way?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:40 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The oneway generally improves enter and mid corner speed. The oneway alows the wheels to freewheel, instead of "scrubbing" like they would with a diff.

Scrubbing = loosing traction = you must slow down more to turn.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:54 AM
ttr
Tech Apprentice

To improve acceleration try to reduce

drag (most important factor)
- un-grease the bearings and use light oil to lube,
- find and replace any binding bearings and CVDs
- loosen the belt tension until it skips a little bit at hard braking (a little skipping will not hurt)
- use high quality spur and pinion gears, set correct mesh

rotating mass (much more important than overall weight)
- use alu CVD bones
- use alu pinion gears (Losi pinions are extremly heavy)

BTW: the easy way is to run a brand new motor with brand new high voltage matched battery
Old 11-04-2002, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know of any, but the standard rules apply:

Reduce friction
Reduce rotating mass
Reduce weight
Old 11-04-2002, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

the tighter the belt the more accelleration.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Lightbulb The new XXX-S Graphite Edition

Hey all,

been awhile since I been back to the board, school can take up a lot of time!

Anyway, I see that the graphite edition of the XXX-S will be available soon (no one can give me a date though) and I am thinking of getting one. Reason is that I want to upgrade my stock XXX-S to graphite and threaded shocks and it seems cheaper just to buy the new kit, sell my old (or let the wife drive it and go from there.

Few questions:

1) what parts specifically are being changed in the new kit and what exactly will the changes do performance/toughness/whatever wise?

2) I currently run the BRP front bumper on my XXX-S, will this still work on the new bumper (PS- I know they redesigned the bumper, but I like the strength of the BRP)

3) I have brp nerf wings mounted on the side of my chassis to protect the rear arms and carriers, and it works well by the way, but I want to know has the new graphite chassis side wall area changed at all from the way the stock one is done (ie- stiffezel chassis) since these are mounted by drilling the chassis and attaching them.

4) Have they solved the issue of the stick pack flying out of the car yet? we had to modify the chassis to put up blockers (RPM Servo mounts) to prevent the pack from coming out. Have they made some form of a side wall to hold them in? (NOTE: we are not allowed to run packs that are matched and are in side x side configuration, sucks, but thats the rules)

5) how hard is it to drill the graphite chassis? about the same as the stock material one?

6) where is the cheapest place you have seen the kit for mail order?

7) what heatsink do you guys recommend for the vehicle? I know that trinity I think makes one that sort of hands about the motor. Any ideas?

8) I noticed that on my current XXX-S that when I run with a similar gearing to another racer with the XXX-S my motor gets too hot while he is doing fine. I heard it may be my diffs are too tight, what should they feel like?

Well, I think that about does it. If someone can tell me when the kit will be available for mail order that would be great. I am considering putting in a preorder with kthobbies if the shipping is free, just need to know when the kit will come however.

Later guys, will come back with more racing questions once I get back to the track. I am happy however with my XXX-S, just need lighten the load and I want to be current on the parts on my car without buying all the parts seperate.

Thanks again,

Cain
Old 11-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

1. From the best of my knowledge they have added an additional rear hub carrier hole on the arm. What this does is it moves the pivot point of the rear carrier closer to the center of the car. They compensate then with new hub carriers to handle the additional off-set. I will let someone else comment on what this does.

They have gone back to the chassis and found a different way to cut it to make it lighter than the current one but still retain its strength and rigidity.

You get a new rear shock tower with different camber link adjustments thus opening up the tuning options.

2. I believe the brp bumper will fit as it is a direct bolt on to our existing cars.

3. I don’t think you should have any problems mounting the wings on the chassis. I don’t think they changed the sides all that much.

4. Sorry, cannot help on that one.

5. I don’t think the chassis material has changed.

6. ?

7. Personally, I don’t like heat sinks. The reason being unless you have a solid connection with the motor with heat sink paste between the two you are not going to be conducting heat but just keeping it in.

8. Check to make sure your bearings are free and that there is no binding. I clean out mine with motor spray after removing the shields. It is a time consuming process but it is worth it.

I have set my differentials so that when I hold both sides I cannot spin the gear. Then if need be when I get to the track I fine tune it for the track conditions as needed.

As for availability, it was believed to be the end of this month.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Tech Legend

thanks Kraig. I am thinking of going with you guys by the way for my order. Will you recieve enough vehicles to cover all preorders?
Old 11-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Cain, it all depends on how many they ship to us. Hopefully, they will be nice and fill our order completely.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Tech Legend

I went to the website to see how much shipping is but there is no option for the free shipping, how is that handled? How much weight difference is there between the aluminum belt cover and the graphite one? I am considering getting one of these.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Tech Legend

about how many preorders you have already?

How close are you to Menomenie (excuse the spelling)
Old 11-04-2002, 08:23 PM

from the info i've gathered the chassis for the graphite edition is milled out different than that of the regular graphite chassis, its supposed to be lighter. The new holes on the a-arms changes the way the car rolls. Using the new holes would make the car rotate more in the corner. The team guys like the hole. and then there are 3 new camber link positions on the rear tower. There are pictures of the car on losi's site under the new tuning guide.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

build a better motor and get higher voltage batteries that's how.
For right now I wouldn't worry about acceleration, they key to faster laptimes is cornerspeed.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

What will be the internal ratio if the 41 tooth pulley is used both front & rear (instead of the normal 42 tooth) ?

Besides the internal ratio, how will it effect the car ?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Cain, we were offering free shipping on orders over $100.00 a couple of months ago. Currently we are not offering that special right now,sorry.

We are about 4 hours away from Menomonie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.