Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inconceivable
After seeing these at TCS last weekend I ran out and picked one up. Mine too is complete now and am going to test it at Cal Raceway on Saturday. Cuda - You in for some testing this Saturday ?
I think I can pull it off, gotta see if it can get around
Originally Posted by izzyracer
When is this CalRaceway ff03 throw down?
Izzy, info on this page
http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...aceway-13.html
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

or here
Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys!

I am going to run this car starting in the Fall.

Anyone have a good starting carpet setup? I would like it with Tamiya tires if I can get it.

Please post on the thread for others or send me a PM!

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the TRF201 diff Joints work in this car?
because the actual diff gear is the same and all.

I'm thinking it could only be incompatible is if the outdrive diameter is different and or the outdrives are too long - which case it could be cut down...
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Who else has built the non Pro FF03 kit?

I'm wondering which tires these are in the kit.
I have no way of tellin.

I'm hopin we got lucky and they threw in some sticky slicks, B3s anyone?

Gonna hit Tamiya tomorrow in the am and see if someone can tell me, maybe by comparison?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
It may help that Rod (1) is a very clean driver, and (2) rebuilds his car after every run (or so it appeared). I believe he even had a spare diff or two laying around this weekend.
No major issues with the diff. The reason I had a spare out was because I was experimenting with replacing a few balls with silicon fuel tubing and packing it all together with AW grease. Theresults were VERY bizarre...weird mid corner hooking but spool- like forward bite coming out of corners. I ran it once during practice and went straight back to the traditional diff (freaking 2 hour mistake after all that wrenching)

I'm still in Toronto with limited internet access but will try to answer and provide additional setup information (even pics?) when I return this weekend.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Who else has built the non Pro FF03 kit?

I'm wondering which tires these are in the kit.
I have no way of tellin.

I'm hopin we got lucky and they threw in some sticky slicks, B3s anyone?

Gonna hit Tamiya tomorrow in the am and see if someone can tell me, maybe by comparison?
Dude, those are just standard tamiya tires, they will work - as in the car will run straight and maybe turn. I ran them with a 4wd one time and it was surprisingly good and lasts long. But they are not B3's. You can only compete with it if fred decides to make them spec tires.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck
Does anyone know if the TRF201 diff Joints work in this car?
because the actual diff gear is the same and all.

I'm thinking it could only be incompatible is if the outdrive diameter is different and or the outdrives are too long - which case it could be cut down...
Yes the 201 and the FF03 share the same size diff cups.

Tamiya also makes the Hop Up Part # 54233 which are aluminum and come with the plastic dog bone "blades" and plastic diff nut carrier.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
For those who are attending the TCS nationals, here's the setup sheet from today's qualifiers. It's a bit of a departure from the stock setup and will require arm flipping and some work to change to it. Also, longer camber and steering link turn buckles would be recommended.

Thanks to kentech and petitrc for the setup sheet as an editable pdf file.

*edit* I found a mistake on the shock mount position on the rear arms. The attached image should reflect this correction.
How do you measure your drop? I ask because I notice some people do it from the center of the axle and others from the top or bottom (wheels off, chassis flat on set-up board).
Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dag32
How do you measure your drop? I ask because I notice some people do it from the center of the axle and others from the top or bottom (wheels off, chassis flat on set-up board).
With droop blocks and droop guage. Taking the measurement from the bottom of the hub carrier.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

I measure from the top of the axle to the setup board
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
I measure from the top of the axle to the setup board
Thanks, much appreciated.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default If a picture is worth a thousand words...here's a bunch

Hi guys, I'm back from my trip and hopefully was able to answer questions on here or via PM. I've attached several pictures of the car untouched from last weekend's TCS race. The only discrepencies between the condition of the car in these pictures and how it was run in the second main event was that the transponder was removed so that a fellow competitor could use his transponder, as well as installation of a different motor, complete with ham-fisted motor soldering job by Timmy haha. Basically, the car was loaned out for the third main

Hopefully this will shed some light on additional questions that may arise. You'll notice the use of different ball studs (instead of the hex headed versions which are 1mm taller) for the camber links. Also, I had to trim a little bit of the gear cover to clear the inner right front ball cup (it was rubbing a little). Other than that, if you look carefully, you'll see most of which hop ups were used on this car. Also, fast lap from the mains was 15.717 seconds...yikes!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03a.jpg   Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03b.jpg   Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03c.jpg   Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03d.jpg   Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03e.jpg  

Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

That's one sweet ride there Rtype.
If you had to guess, how much do you think all that "tuning" did to drop your lap times. .5secs, more ?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
That's one sweet ride there Rtype.
If you had to guess, how much do you think all that "tuning" did to drop your lap times. .5secs, more ?
Hiya DB. I'm not sure I can quantify how much the "tuning" helped. Several weeks prior to the nationals, I was cleaning my car on a Sunday morning and noticed my 416 sitting on one of the benches. One thing lead to another and after a bunch of measuring and checking out geometry, I decided to try to replicate my 416 setup on the FF3. The next weekend, I immediately ran more consitent "fast" laps than my fastest laps run with a narrow setup (faster...more consistent...yeah, I'll take that). From that point, I was sort of committed to work on that setup path (it would have been a pain to convert everything back). During the next few weeks, it got to the point of tuning with a lap counter. Some changes would make the car feel faster, but laptimes were slower. Other changes would make the car harder to drive, but lap times were better. So, to be honest, I used the lap counter as a tuning aid. I took notes of A and B comparisons and did a lot of collaborative setup testing with Don and Lee Passehl. I believe we were running identical setups for the TCS weekend and they were very fast too. As for improvements, I feel that I can use more rip coming out of corners (without loosing any steering) and will eventually work on it.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya FF03-tcs_ff03-fastlap.jpg  

Last edited by rtypec; 09-05-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Looks like it was fast enough :) Please see the attached image lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.