Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TB-Evolution IV

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Initiate

They use thin scrotch type to type around the outside bearings for bevel gear(angle one). They try to eliminate the slop of the housing for that bearing.

It is very difficult to control the contraction of the plastic and graphic once they are release from the metal mold. So far, only Japan is the leader in this field. EVO 3 idea is very good. That's why SD also uses the same type of gearbox.

That's why it is not that company can do it properly. So far, Yokomo is the best. You have to round off the edges of the gearbox like any other brands shaft car.

Once you have a smooth drivetrain and you car will also be quieter too.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by GFXmania

They use thin scrotch type to type around the outside bearings for bevel gear(angle one). They try to eliminate the slop of the housing for that bearing.

It is very difficult to control the contraction of the plastic and graphic once they are release from the metal mold. So far, only Japan is the leader in this field. EVO 3 idea is very good. That's why SD also uses the same type of gearbox.

That's why it is not that company can do it properly. So far, Yokomo is the best. You have to round off the edges of the gearbox like any other brands shaft car.

the best shaft cars i've driven use aluminum bulk heads.... a pain to work on sometimes but zero binding.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info.. #1 Reason why I love this site.. Always learn something new!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

How smooth is your EVO 3 drivetrain? Everyone is chasing the ultra smooth drivetrain for their shaft car.

Every EVO 3 drivers in my area have to sand and tape the gearbox to tried to fix the pinching of the bearings and also tape up bearings, fix on to the angle gear(sorry not not knowing the proper name), of the slop from moving up and down.

If you look at RC World in Japan this month, they talk about the TB-02 which share the same gearbox as EVO 3 or EVO 3 SL. Look at that gearbox will give you a good indication of how accurate and quality control of that plastic mold.

Tamiya team driver use graphite gear box for their EVO 3 not the one that LHS are selling to us. Graphite Gearbox is not for sales to the public, only team drivers can use it. All shaft car have one common problem, pinching of the bearings.

Maybe EVO4 they will give you graphite gearbox instead, let's hope so!!!!
TB 02 used the same gearboxes as the first one, the TB 3 introduced new gear boxes.

If only team drivers have got Graphite gear boxes, it's because they couldn't reach a good quality for them, only 10% were suitable, so they'd have been very expensive.

About the Tech car, IMO it's just a custom chassis for the TB3, nothing to do with the TB4. Only thing is that their 3 piece propeller shaft might have been a test part.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Tech Elite

I think your confusing the TB- cars with the TB Evo cars Cobra - TB-02 is the plastic version of TB Evo 3 - came out after & uses the same gearboxes.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:41 AM
Tech Initiate

It is just too difficult to make gearbox. I believe is worth their money because making aluminium bulkhead is relatively easy when comparing with graphite gearbox.

The price differences is so great. Making aluminium bulkhead cost a lot more money than making graphite or plastics gearbox.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:45 AM
Tech Initiate

TB 02 and EVO 3 Gearbox
Old 04-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

GFX, with all due respect, I don't think you need to do all that work with the EVO3 gearbox.

I have replaced my gear box a few times (stripped the thread from keep opening them to check on the gears). It works just fine everytime without having to do any additional work.

My car is quiet and very free. It could be freer if I soak my bearings and do the type of thing you described in your post. I just don't think it's necessary. I don't think it makes that much difference.

My car is fast. The car is usually as fast as any in the track. The car is not the problem, it's my skills that is not up there yet. My lap times will decrease much more by practicing than to do all that extra work with the gear box.

Perhaps you are a pro level driver and that little extra top end will help your lap time. But at my skill level, it's the practice that counts.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

The TB evo IV has been in production for over 4 years now! Its called Team Associated Factory Team TC3

Old 04-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

TRF 414 W.C.REPLICA, TBEVOIII SL and TRF 415 is the best cars that I 've ever driven.
I have been driving for three years a FACTORY TEAM TC3 and with this car I've won a lot of races in my country but I've been spending a lot of money to replace front hubs and bearings every two or three races. It was my worst nightmair.
Have you ever all guys with TC3s take in your hands 1150 ball bearing with blue dust covers from TAMIYA? If you do not then give some respect to the WORLD CHAMPIONS.
These little yellow guys from Japan does not make only good rc cars but make ART with these cars.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by snopro31
Does Xray plan to release a shaft drive car?
just don't ask me how I know....
Old 04-15-2004, 08:16 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hardriven RC
...Team Associated Factory Team TC3
Can AE build a front one-way that doesn't self-destruct, or do you still need Yokomo to do it for you??
Old 04-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never had a problem with the AE oneway in the TC3. Of course I'm sure others are more harder on their cars or crash alot. Not me. But I no longer run a TC3. Not that it's a bad car. Its excellent for sure. And can still win plenty of races. But I'm more of a Yokomo and Tamiya kinda guy. That's why I ran the SD and 415. The Evo3 I had was very free. And I didn't need to do any of those mods listed above. Proper shimming and good bearings can do that.

Anyways, the Evo IV should be a pretty interesting car. Not that I'll get one (unless if it had aluminium bulkheads like an R3). But I'd like to see how they address certain issues from the Evo III. Of course next years Evo V would be interesting as well...
Old 04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Hardriven RC
The TB evo IV has been in production for over 4 years now! Its called Team Associated Factory Team TC3
You got it wrong bro....Its called a Yokomo MR-4TC SD :

Same thing with a 415, MR-4TC Special

edit: wrong thread....I have a headache now...

Last edited by The Black Kat; 04-15-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:16 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by KilRuf
...aluminium bulkheads like an R3
funny that.
Was thinking the other day, whilst staring at the drivetrain, thinking it wouldn't be hard to reinvent the gearbox casing.

Not by just making the whole thing out of alloy, but to reduce it
down to just 3 interlocking "walls" with 1 bearing holder each.
(yes you'll have to remove half the thing to access the diff ala 414)

The top & front could be left visible and just covered with lexan;
there'll be 2 holes on the front edges of the side plates for the
shocktower, small clamps ala 415 for the sway bars.

hmmm...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.