R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #3301
Tech Adept

The Evo IV kit ones are the same width for each letter as the Evo IV MS or 415 blocks. The MS blocks are 1A etc. The 1 means that they are lower by 1mm, A width is still A.
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #3302
Tech Adept

Hey guys I plan on buying a Novak GTB 4.5 in the next week or so but not sure what size pinion and spur to run? What would you guys recommend?
*sil80* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #3303
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohnson
The Evo IV kit ones are the same width for each letter as the Evo IV MS or 415 blocks. The MS blocks are 1A etc. The 1 means that they are lower by 1mm, A width is still A.
Thankyou for that.

One more query, the Evo IV rear suspension blocks in standard form are 'A' at the front and 'E' at the rear which gives 3 deg toe-in, the manual also tells you which blocks to use if you want to change to 2.5, so instead of an 'E' you would use a 'D', or a 'B' if you opted for the 1 deg hubs.

The MS kit comes with a 'XB' at the front and a 'D' at the rear, I assume this gives 3 deg of toe-in. Can I use the standard Evo IV blocks on the MS to achieve the same options without affecting the track width or causing problems with the 46mm swing shafts not fitting
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #3304
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh
The MS kit comes with a 'XB' at the front and a 'D' at the rear, I assume this gives 3 deg of toe-in. Can I use the standard Evo IV blocks on the MS to achieve the same options without affecting the track width or causing problems with the 46mm swing shafts not fitting
ok, Three parts affecting two things. Front and rear suspension blocks affect toe and track width. Rear uprights/hubs affect toe only.

The MS kit comes with 0 degree rear hubs and 1D to 1XB is six steps (D,C,B,A,X,XA,XB), for 3 degrees total toe. To get 2.5 degrees on the MS you would want to use a 1XA in the front or a C block on the back. Changing toe will change track width slightly either way, wider with the 1XA and narrower with the C block. I'm running 1XA, 1D. Using a X block in front will get you to 2 degrees.

I don't think swingshaft length is a problem with any blocks that will fit on the car. 1XC and 1XD are a bit on the narrow side and the original Evo IV uses the same swing shaft length.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #3305
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Have got that terry
i`ve got X`s mixed up with Y`s now
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #3306
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohnson
ok, Three parts affecting two things. Front and rear suspension blocks affect toe and track width. Rear uprights/hubs affect toe only.

The MS kit comes with 0 degree rear hubs and 1D to 1XB is six steps (D,C,B,A,X,XA,XB), for 3 degrees total toe. To get 2.5 degrees on the MS you would want to use a 1XA in the front or a C block on the back. Changing toe will change track width slightly either way, wider with the 1XA and narrower with the C block. I'm running 1XA, 1D. Using a X block in front will get you to 2 degrees.

I don't think swingshaft length is a problem with any blocks that will fit on the car. 1XC and 1XD are a bit on the narrow side and the original Evo IV uses the same swing shaft length.
I had to read it 2-3 times but it has sunk in now, thanks for taking the time to explain, it's a great help.

Terry
Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #3307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi, I have a TRF415 (with MS conversion) and was curious as to how the Evo IV compares to it. Yes, I know one is belt and the other is shaft drive which is why I'm interested. I'd rather have a shaft drive car because of the surface I run on.

Would trading the 415 for an Evo IVMS be a good deal?
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #3308
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Hi, I have a TRF415 (with MS conversion) and was curious as to how the Evo IV compares to it. Yes, I know one is belt and the other is shaft drive which is why I'm interested. I'd rather have a shaft drive car because of the surface I run on.

Would trading the 415 for an Evo IVMS be a good deal?
I havn't driven a 415 so can only say that it is generally considered that shaft is better for stock and belt better for mod. That said, I know quite a few guys that race 415's in stock and are very fast, maybe they might be faster with a shaft
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #3309
Tech Regular

terry the block combos are on tryhard site

www.thard.co.uk
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #3310
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh
I havn't driven a 415 so can only say that it is generally considered that shaft is better for stock and belt better for mod. That said, I know quite a few guys that race 415's in stock and are very fast, maybe they might be faster with a shaft

You wouldn't know anyone wanting to do a trade? I have a TA05 and where I run I keep destroying centre pullies and belts with rocks. I wouldn't want to start doing that with the 415 aswell so it's just sitting collecting dust till I either find a replacement or somewhere cleaner to run.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #3311
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
terry the block combos are on tryhard site

www.thard.co.uk
WOW, now thats what I call detailed and informative info, thanks for that
Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #3312
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
You wouldn't know anyone wanting to do a trade? I have a TA05 and where I run I keep destroying centre pullies and belts with rocks. I wouldn't want to start doing that with the 415 aswell so it's just sitting collecting dust till I either find a replacement or somewhere cleaner to run.
Anyone I know who has an MS is normally reluctant to part company and, they are really hard to get hold off. Sounds like an offroad track, have you considered a Buggy................sorry, just my soh

Have you considered selling the 415 and putting your name down for an Evo V, there going to be out next month.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #3313
Tech Addict

Heh, I've thought about an off road but I prefer having a car. I want something that looks like a real car. The surface isn't too bad apart from the occasional rock that always seems to find it's way into the driveline. I'm really just after an equivalent shaft drive car to the 415. IT diesn't have to be an MS, heck it doesn't even have to be in perfect condition. I'll fix it up.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:45 AM   #3314
Tech Regular

I want to fit a ball diff to the front of my Evo IV MS but the rear one dosn't fit, does anyone know what I need to do to achieve this?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #3315
Tech Adept

What do you mean by ""doesn't fit" ? I've run a rear diff in the front of my car, so it should fit. You will need to make sure it's shimmed right for the front so you don't destroy gears.