Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official ROAR Festivus Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I won't quote you Joe just for the sake of space saving.

The idea of higher turn motors is good, BUT, I think the problem will be that you won't be able to gear them properly to work, so thats why you would still have to use the FW upgradable SC, or have lots of overheat issues, so it kind of fixes the problem but leaves other doors open, that are trying to be closed as well.

TC speaking only, a lower capacity 2s would eliminate the need for a rxr pack that would be required for the 1s. The lower capacity would put gearing for run time back in the equation, and you would definately be on the cusp of using the Lipo cutoff on your speed control. But really, how much of your 5000mah do you use up during a normal 6 minute run? And whats really better for the Lipo, a top off charge or a deeper cycle run?

Good discussion though.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
I like this idea, any youtube videos out there for us to watch??
do a you tube search for ammdrew

we have many vids up track varies from 36x60 to 48x85
all of our vta vids are 3.7v 17.5

no mod single cell vids up... We have only done runs as testing.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

In times like this when ROAR is struggling there was only one man who stood head and sholders above the rest. He made the difficult decisions and if he had to put his thum down on someone he had the balls to do it! Yea he had a lavish office and made good money through ROAR but who cares things were thriving and it was largely becuase of his effort and commitment to our sport. On a lighter note he was the best race anouncer. The a mains felt like we were listening to a formula one event. All the way from the pre race announcemnts to the play by play on the race track.

Who am I speaking of?

The one and only John Thawley. i miss the days of cleveland with 700 plus entries...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

I think that when it comes to power, its good to want to reduce speed and reduce cost, but one must be careful to find a balance between low cost and high entertainment/fun factor. Having not entered the LiPo age myself I dont have a ton to input here but I do hope that whatever is worked out it is something that can maximize the TC class as it is right now and can help (in addition to the other things talked about on here: rankings system, class structure, etc.) bring RC more to the forefront and to the masses
Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

So while shooting the breeze yesterday with a couple of friends, we were going round and round about classes, motors, esc, turbo on, turbo off, blah blah, I finally said, hey how about we do the classes this way, we don't have classes, just show up, run what ever gear you want, open practice for 45 minutes, top 8 guys go into race 1. next 8 into race 2, next 8 into race 3, and on and on. next round same thing but with a resort from the first round, and then another resort for the third round, and ba da bing, your mains are set according to lap times, not equipment used. and the mains are ran the same way, main 1, main 2, main 3 and on and on.

no more mod, no more super stock, no more stock, no more make a class for me so i won't be in the b anymore.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I always thought it'd be cool to have a true mod class. No rules at all. Drive what you drive fastest around the track against what the next guy drives the fastest.

But I wouldn't want that to be the only class.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing that I do believe ROAR does right, is no experimental parts in Stock or SS classes.

I'm a fan of Novak, however, I don't approve of a manufacturer using a prototype ESC in such a large race in Spec classes. Save that for mod where it belongs.

Outside of that, the only other advice I have is drop the regions to 6 and give the Regional directors a reason to have their position. What does a region director do any more? In my region, they haven't done anything for years, outside of saying, "Yep you can host the state champs, or the regional race."

Canada
NorthWest
SouthWest
Midwest
NorthEast
SouthEast

Involve the RD's in your annual meeting. Let them give you input on what type of racing they are seeing in their region.

Paul Branham
Roar #10-109514
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

It would be a good idea to condense the regions, especially if there was a national/regional points system because then it would make it easier to tie points to qualification for regionals and results from regionals could then be tied to qualification to nationals.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Tech Legend

Thank God off-road has a strong mod class...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Lets all just run together in whatever direction you feel compelled to that run.

No classes at all, 12th scale and TC together. I mean why not lol.

Seriously though Tc seemed to be the most competitive and biggest when motors were the speed of 27t, 19t and mod.

Why doesnt someone get a car together with a brushed speedo and a decent cobalt and komodo and pick motors according to something as fast as those?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

ok, i am sure this has been thought of, but i have raced motorcycles since i was 4 and i am 40 now. you have the amateur class and expert class. 125 and 250(lites and 450's nowadays). you are either expert(pro) or your an amateur. you can race 125 or 250 in both classes. pretty simple really. there is a AMA ranking you achieve to qualify to race in certain invitational races, makes perfect sense right? what about a amatuer class with specific specs. not too slow but slow enough for a amateur(no sponsors). Then move up based on ranking and percentiles to the expert class. Expert is run what you feel you need to be competitive, sponsors allowed, just a premier class. I personally feel that if you have sponsors, you should be classed as an expert! If someone is willing to pay your way, you should be fast enough and wise enough for the expert class. I see guys that have been in the hobby a year with sponsors! this speedo issue isnt going away, so i thnk that subject can be shelved and we need to move on. i havent raced a roar event in years, but i would if i felt there was a use for it. I would love a national ranking system! i think that is a start to a reconizable championship regional and national. I think there is alot trying to reinvent the wheel when the wheel is there already! Take a few lessons from some other very successful organizations like the american motorcycle assoc and nascar.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Honestly, I do not currently see the need for having to qualify to attend a national event. The reason is simple. We don't have enough racers attending the races to even sell them out.

It may be an option in the gas off-road classes, perhaps even on-road. But in Electric classes, I haven't seen a full sold out event, not accepting additional entries in years.

So if we ever get to that point, I think it should be considered, but for now, let the average joe go muck it up in Mod if he wants to. At least he can go home and say he was in the A Main
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
Honestly, I do not currently see the need for having to qualify to attend a national event. The reason is simple. We don't have enough racers attending the races to even sell them out.

It may be an option in the gas off-road classes, perhaps even on-road. But in Electric classes, I haven't seen a full sold out event, not accepting additional entries in years.

So if we ever get to that point, I think it should be considered, but for now, let the average joe go muck it up in Mod if he wants to. At least he can go home and say he was in the A Main
Sadly, that's all that the current Carpet Nats has is A Mains. And not even full ones at that. The pre-entry list was 38 entries spread across 9 classes.

The On-Road Fuel Nats is in June and it already has over 120 entries. Why the difference? Less classes?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Sadly, that's all that the current Carpet Nats has is A Mains. And not even full ones at that. The pre-entry list was 38 entries spread across 9 classes.

The On-Road Fuel Nats is in June and it already has over 120 entries. Why the difference? Less classes?
Worlds' qualifier for classes that don't have sudden bursts of technology.

Are the nitro nats also overshadowed by 2 hotel races?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.