R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Default The Official ROAR Festivus Thread

Instead of crapping up the Carpet Nats thread, discuss ROAR here.
First up, the Airing of Grievances.

(soon to be followed by Feats of Strength)

Ready.... Go!
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Instead of crapping up the Carpet Nats thread, discuss ROAR here.
First up, the Airing of Grievances.

(soon to be followed by Feats of Strength)

Ready.... Go!
I'll open it with a positive note. All those dissing ROAR, and some good points I agree with but....where would we be without the "ROAR Approved" stamp on nearly every flyer, I doubt ANY of the other promoters are ready to step up on this scale, much less tolerate others using their effort. I agree ROAR and the RC industry as a whole need revamp both in the way decisions are made and in the direction it is heading but ROAR is needed or else Anarchy will prevail when it comes to competitive equality.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1 miller tyme
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Tech Legend

Roar ?

Are those guys still around ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Congrats to ROAR on establishing rules for motors, bodies, chassis weights, batteries,etc. I don't think that anyone has too much to complain about in this area. ESCs is another story, but I'm not sure what they can do there.

First, a little background reading is required...

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...ncial_data.pdf

How many National Championship races did ROAR hold last year?
Almost $90k to run those races? And only $2445 spent by ROAR on promotion for the entire year? Wow.

For comparison:

2010 Carpet Nats race fees $85 per class. No multiple class discount.

2010 NEGS Race at Mimi's. $40 first class, $10 discount for multiple classes.

2010 Region 5 ROAR Champs $40 first class, $20 discount for multiple classes.

Amazingly, it looks like the Region 5 Champs may end up with more entries than the Nats. Why is that? For me, running 4 classes at the Regionals was $100, and I could run tires I already have. Running the same 4 classes at the Nats would be $340, with no difference in the amount of racing. And that doesn't include travel and hotel expenses. Plus, I have to buy my rubber tires there, and can't use any of my existing tires (except in practice). So much for trying to minimize costs for the unsponsored racers.

Next!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Holly $#it batman, 90,000 for RMT, I don't know about you but a lot of the races I've been to have done fine with local race directors, perhaps require the closest Regional director to cover it and maybe 1 member of the RMT to oversee everything is done consistently, nothing against those that have been to any of the Nats I've attended, but tech is fairly cut and dry and announcing can be handled by many talented persons. Have 1 RMT member bring the 'official' tech Gauges and oversee the general operations but to spend 1/2 the budget on it!!!
And for crying out loud, a multiple class discount please, If I have to pay full price for each I want a full pit space for each

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED

Last edited by miller tyme; 03-17-2010 at 08:42 PM.
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

These are the minutes from late last year. Lots of topics covered here.....

October Meeting Minutes, meeting conducted via Skype to save money.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

If you want change, step up to help ROAR out. The organization is the best cornerstone we have to organized racing in the US.

A thread or forum post most likely won't change anything.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Congrats to ROAR on establishing rules for motors, bodies, chassis weights, batteries,etc. I don't think that anyone has too much to complain about in this area. ESCs is another story, but I'm not sure what they can do there.

First, a little background reading is required...

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/...ncial_data.pdf

How many National Championship races did ROAR hold last year?
Almost $90k to run those races? And only $2445 spent by ROAR on promotion for the entire year? Wow.

For comparison:

2010 Carpet Nats race fees $85 per class. No multiple class discount.

2010 NEGS Race at Mimi's. $40 first class, $10 discount for multiple classes.

2010 Region 5 ROAR Champs $40 first class, $20 discount for multiple classes.

Amazingly, it looks like the Region 5 Champs may end up with more entries than the Nats. Why is that? For me, running 4 classes at the Regionals was $100, and I could run tires I already have. Running the same 4 classes at the Nats would be $340, with no difference in the amount of racing. And that doesn't include travel and hotel expenses. Plus, I have to buy my rubber tires there, and can't use any of my existing tires (except in practice). So much for trying to minimize costs for the unsponsored racers.

Next!
Come on Joe. We both know used rubber isn't the way to go. Get some new rubbers. Better safe than sorry. You've been around The Gate for a long time, you should know better.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Come on Joe. We both know used rubber isn't the way to go. Get some new rubbers. Better safe than sorry. You've been around The Gate for a long time, you should know better.
At least I didn't try the foam condoms that Goetz was recommending.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
If you want change, step up to help ROAR out. The organization is the best cornerstone we have to organized racing in the US.

A thread or forum post most likely won't change anything.
Hopefully when ROAR finally has their forum up and running they will solicit input from racers before they have their meetings. Other than voting for ROAR President/Region Directors and online race registrations, how can the typical ROAR member provide input? I've only seen meeting minutes posted after the meetings occur, never any notifications about potential issues to be discussed.

How about soliciting comments from the membership via e-mail campaigns? ROAR has the e-mail addresses for a large percentage of members (at least those that registered online).
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Roar ?

Are those guys still around ?
You must just cut and paste this.....
Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Hopefully when ROAR finally has their forum up and running they will solicit input from racers before they have their meetings. Other than voting for ROAR President/Region Directors and online race registrations, how can the typical ROAR member provide input? I've only seen meeting minutes posted after the meetings occur, never any notifications about potential issues to be discussed.

How about soliciting comments from the membership via e-mail campaigns? ROAR has the e-mail addresses for a large percentage of members (at least those that registered online).
I'm not even a ROAR member at the moment, but I've emailed Ruben and Dawn with my suggestions and they responded within a day that my thoughts would be noted and brought up at the next meeting. That's about all I am asking for, as I am just one person in a big hobby. When I join ROAR again, I'll vote for the EXCOM based on how well I think they've done, just like real politics, minus the red and blue animals. My point....speak up, but speak to them via email. They're busy people just like us, email works best. But thank heaven I'm literate, otherwise I'd be SOL.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I'm not even a ROAR member at the moment, but I've emailed Ruben and Dawn with my suggestions and they responded within a day that my thoughts would be noted and brought up at the next meeting. That's about all I am asking for, as I am just one person in a big hobby. When I join ROAR again, I'll vote for the EXCOM based on how well I think they've done, just like real politics, minus the red and blue animals. My point....speak up, but speak to them via email. They're busy people just like us, email works best. But thank heaven I'm literate, otherwise I'd be SOL.
I'm not sure but I don't think the members get to vote on the Excom.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

We really don't get to vote on much of anything. We get handed the info after the fact. When we send emails, we don't get responses, or we get mixed responses or if multiple people email the same exact question we've gotten different responses.

Is it possible that if we don't use our ROAR membership in the next 3 months that we can get a refund?

After Rich made his grand entrance I don't plan on renewing my membership with ROAR.

Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing

Last edited by munrath; 03-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote