Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S Tips and Talk for Stock Classes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'll keep my eyes open for ya

your talkin about the Matt Francis low roll centre blocks right??
Not the main pivot bar? (ie: 2f, 4r etc)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thats the ones. If you find the complete sets front and back, I'd be interested. Thats the pivots plus the blocks. Thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Ok will do

only found one set of red trinity pivot bars and they livin on my shelf queen ATM
but if I find more I'll pm ya
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default Dynamite red alloy parts NIP

Ok I've got the two motor heat sink/clamps left (one is 2nd hand)
& one set front of hub carriers remaining

pm me if interested
cheers
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Got a G+ on the shelf that i'm thinkin about dusting off and running in my track's "Silver Can" class. Y'all think it'll still be competitive in a field full of shaft-drive and modern two-belt cars?
My car's a basic two diff G+ with the black belt conversion.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

If any of you guys are still looking for xxx-s sway bar kits. Hobbytown on the north side of Indianapolis still had some front and rear sets with the factory dust on them. Give Bob a call with part # and I'm sure he can ship them out. Losi still makes the XXX-4 rear whitch I have made work.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
Got a G+ on the shelf that i'm thinkin about dusting off and running in my track's "Silver Can" class. Y'all think it'll still be competitive in a field full of shaft-drive and modern two-belt cars?
My car's a basic two diff G+ with the black belt conversion.
ABSOFREAKINLUTELY !!!! I've had my xxx-s cars for awhile. Kept them because with all the new cars that have come out you never quite know what they'll do. Well, they did great but they kept getting more expensive and you gotta be an engineer to REALLY take advantage of all the adjustments. It was becoming less fun and more work. If I was a team driver and i was racing for a paycheck that would be great but...I'm just a guy who runs RCGT and VTA against a bunch of other folks who just want to do the same. Neither my Tamiya Evo 4 or my Schumacher MI3.5 were ever as consistant as my X. Granted, part of that was just as I said.....me being unable to and unwilling to learn every aspect of every adjustment. I gues I'd rather be racing. And even then, The X still proves itself twice a month at our club meets against a PHI, Pro 4's and Cyclones.
Keep the X....learn how to work on her and be part of these threads. There's an awful lot of good help available.

BTW, the black belt is my choice also. Don't run it to tight. Pay attention to bearing condition. The more free you can make that belt drive the better she'll run. Also, try a spool in front. I honestly think with the lower power can motor it will help.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedster1919
If any of you guys are still looking for xxx-s sway bar kits. Hobbytown on the north side of Indianapolis still had some front and rear sets with the factory dust on them. Give Bob a call with part # and I'm sure he can ship them out. Losi still makes the XXX-4 rear whitch I have made work.
Hey, thanks for the heads up. If you could get us a phone number that would be great. If any of you overseas guys need some sway bars and can't easily order them from this Hobbytown...just say so and I'd be willing to help.
Looks like there's 2 Hobbytown stores in Indy. If speedster doesn't answer I'll call both.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice to see that the XXX-s is still alive and well. I ran one when they first came out, mostly on carpet and loved it. Reading thru some of the posts in this thread, I forgot just how simple theses cars where and how well they would work when set up right. I even show a post from Still Bill (aka XXXs-Bill) who was a XXX wizard in the Nor-Cal area. Carry on
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheOtherBill
Nice to see that the XXX-s is still alive and well. I ran one when they first came out, mostly on carpet and loved it. Reading thru some of the posts in this thread, I forgot just how simple theses cars where and how well they would work when set up right. I even show a post from Still Bill (aka XXXs-Bill) who was a XXX wizard in the Nor-Cal area. Carry on
Hey Bill, I didn't know who Stll Bill was when he responded here earlier. I've PM'd him in the hopes he might share some info. I'll make that same invitation to you. Setups, tips, tricks, etc. ....if you have some info please share. We'd all appreciate it.

On another note; a long time back I could swear there was a template offered to duplicate the milling that many factory drivers did on the G+ chassis. Anybody remember it or am I just wrong ?? I'd like to do it to one of mine just so I can try it + it looks cool !! I think it was attributed to Brian Kinwald.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

I finally got to do some laps with my new,never ran G+ that was sitting for over three years. The old original yellow belt was shot so of course I did the HD black belt conversion and to my suprise the belt skipped under braking while running with a 19 turn. Was thinking of clipping every other teeth for USVTA 25.5 but i'm having second thoughts.
Does the belt skip this easily or am I running the belt too loose? The tension seems fairly tight.

Is it worth it to clip the teeth?

Is there a better belt to run?

Last edited by FREAKAH; 03-31-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech Addict

If you read through your manual u will see that it states the belt will skip under heavy braking an possibly hard acceleration on high traction

my belt skips savage under heavy braking but never had a problem with it before
Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

Ok.

Was just suprised how loud it was when it skipped.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Yea it can be noisy

as for cutting the teeth I've never done it myself
and as for belts I run the long belt conversion tensioner arm and pulley but I run the standard xxx4 g+ yellow belt
it just means one belt for my spares box as I run both the xxxs and the xxx4
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Wait up on clipping the teeth. You'd be doing it for the wrong reason. If you were trying to reduce drivetrain friction then clipping teeth is one way to do it.
As for the belt, yes, it will skip a bit under heavy braking or possibly hard acceleration, particularly with a spool.
Make sure the diff pulleys and spur gear pulley are in good shape. CHECK CONDITION OF DRIVETRAIN BEARINGS. Thats a big one. diff and spur gear bearings need to be in great shape. One last source of friction....make sure spur gear screws are not to tight. They should be "two finger snug" at best.
Last....you mentioned you're getting ready for VTA....when you change to the 25.5 I think the skipping will be less of a problem. Setting the brake frequency higher on the esc will help too.
As for which belt....Depends on who you talk to. I know John Stranahan did some research in the xxx-s mod motor thread. I prefer the black belt and run rcgt and vta although when I change to the 25.5 for vta I might consider one of the others to see if they offer less friction which will help with the lower power available.

Glad to see you got the old girl out and she's getting ready to kick butt. They're still good at it !!

Last edited by Evoracer; 03-31-2010 at 06:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.