Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solution for the stock class problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

The track will have a class if enough show up to run it.If you want a type of stock class get some guys together and make it happen.It ain't gonna do any good rehashing it over and over on all these different forums.There is always backyard bashing which is always a lot of fun!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
You're going against the whole point of a sportsman class!! Why would you spend all that money to run what could be called novice?
Isn't a sportsman class a class designed around a particular driver skill level? If so, how much you spend on your gear is irrelevant. We purchased good gear for her right out of the gate, so we wouldn't need to buy twice, once she improves a year, or even a two into her development. And we are fully aware that the price tag stuck TO her gear, has absolutly nothing to do with her either winning, or losing. Understand?

And if you win, what did you prove? You have the biggest wallet?
Nope, only that she was the most improved.

We're trying to encourage more people to get into this hobby.
Yep, agreed.

Don't scare them away with thousand dollar beginner setups.
I don't, and I wouldn't. I explain to EVERYbody that I encourage into the hobby, that as a beginner, you can be JUST as competative with budget gear, as the guy running the top of line stuff, and that it isn't until you are MUCH MUCH better that you start to be able to take advantage the better gear gives you.

It still doesn't change the fact that the price of your gear has NOTHING to do with running in sportsman, only your skill level and running the correct platform of car.

If you STILL don't understand, you never will.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gameover
funny how people want to go faster in 17.5 classes when two faster classes exist. 17.5 is just as fast if not faster than 10.5 with older speedy, and yet these 17.5 turbo freaks do not move up? why?
because most of the people that play with rc cars are dorks and geeks and/or like to get the most of what they have. nothing like being on the drivers stand cutting a few laps, and here, "DAMN, thats a 17.5".

besides is this not the same we did with brushed stock motors, special brushes, special cuts, special springs, secret speed juice, all that stuff is just a download away now.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Still cant figure why anyone would not just want to throw in a mod motor and just run as fast as they can. Mod defeats all the speed of the week tricks and puts the race even, best racer of the week wins.
Stock is the reason I got out of sedan. And until there is a mod class wont be back. No one says you have to run a 1.0 neg. zero warp speed mod. Just run the fastest one you can that meats the speed every one bleeds to go with a 17.5. Stock is draining the fair race to nothing. Mod is the only fair race. Racing mod is the true way to race. Stock is not racing to me its more like trying to make my slow motor faster than yours.

Be fast racer. Race mod.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Tech Champion

I am convinced that 13.5 or even 17.5 works on a small track, (ok, I know not everyone would want to race on a track 10x15m though) because there is only so much of it that you can use, the rest is down to a well set up car and consistant laps.

Gear it too much, or tweak the ESC too heavily and you just end up with a hot motor or you find the boards...

If a club has issues, they either get resolved or people walk away.

Who can hold their hand up and honestly say their club has a problem with stock? Lets put this into perspective.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Isn't a sportsman class a class designed around a particular driver skill level? If so, how much you spend on your gear is irrelevant. We purchased good gear for her right out of the gate, so we wouldn't need to buy twice, once she improves a year, or even a two into her development. And we are fully aware that the price tag stuck TO her gear, has absolutly nothing to do with her either winning, or losing. Understand?

Yep, agreed.

I don't, and I wouldn't. I explain to EVERYbody that I encourage into the hobby, that as a beginner, you can be JUST as competative with budget gear, as the guy running the top of line stuff, and that it isn't until you are MUCH MUCH better that you start to be able to take advantage the better gear gives you.

It still doesn't change the fact that the price of your gear has NOTHING to do with running in sportsman, only your skill level and running the correct platform of car.

+1
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You're going against the whole point of a sportsman class!! Why would you spend all that money to run what could be called novice? And if you win, what did you prove? You have the biggest wallet? We're trying to encourage more people to get into this hobby. Don't scare them away with thousand dollar beginner setups.
As long as the hobby shop owner or worker does their job this won't be an issue. Give the new racer choices. Its all up to the consumer how much is spent or in their budget. If they want to start out with top of the line equipment so be it. That is how I started cause I didn't want to buy things twice. Don't look down on people for what they can buy. Support them and help them use what they bought. So many people pitty the newbie. How many actually take the time to help them out so they actually feel good about the $1000.00 dollars they just spent. Remember you are not in sportsman class forever. The track I race at the owners have no problem handing a newbie one of their own cars to drive so they can have a feel of what all the different cars feel like before they make a purchase. I let anyone drive my car around the track as well. This has been a great way to let people decide what they want to start out in. If only more tracks would do this then send people out in cheap rental cars that are not even close to what would be raced.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Still cant figure why anyone would not just want to throw in a mod motor and just run as fast as they can. Mod defeats all the speed of the week tricks and puts the race even, best racer of the week wins.
Stock is the reason I got out of sedan. And until there is a mod class wont be back. No one says you have to run a 1.0 neg. zero warp speed mod. Just run the fastest one you can that meats the speed every one bleeds to go with a 17.5. Stock is draining the fair race to nothing. Mod is the only fair race. Racing mod is the true way to race. Stock is not racing to me its more like trying to make my slow motor faster than yours.

Be fast racer. Race mod.
+1
Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep, agreed.

I understand what you're saying, and to some degree you're correct. But look at all the threads complaining about how expensive things have become in the hobby. Regardless of how you compare RC to other hobbies, the single biggest complaint from people is how much it costs. Every thread, including this one, has been centered around reigning in the costs for a lower level class so more people can have fun. It has nothing to do with you giving your stuff to your GF to get her started in racing.

Most of the spec classes like VTA or RCGT allow any chassis. Most of the rules focus on motor, speed control, battery, and tires. So if you brought the lastest and greatest car to run in VTA with the intent of moving up to the race class when you're ready sure that's fine.

Let's say you're new, and you buy all the best stuff because you want to race. That's fine, but wouldn't you want to race in that class and really learn how to get better?

Capish?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

I was getting bto the point earlier that was a bit vauge,get the if you want to call it sportsman or whatever,is by driver,not equip.Our larger races have splits,but usually at times our club races have a slow tiurnout and classes are put together.Most of the new drivers in our area do not show up regularly to race,so, do you not let them race if there is two cars?when a lot of times time frame does make it hard for the race director to get them all in.We alomg with most tracks have an a@b in stock when enough show up which sorts out driving skills.If your a novice,try to shadow the bettr drivers in your heat not try to run the better drivers down by driving over your head and before long you will be right with them.They Will help you if they like the sport.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yep, agreed.

+1 I agree with Cpt. for this reason. If I have the biggest wallet, I don't want to have to buy stuff twice. So I'll buy the best stuff knowing that I'll grow into it and not have to sell it to lose money to buy more stuff. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter. Race within your means.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Regardless of how you compare RC to other hobbies, the single biggest complaint from people is how much it costs. Every thread, including this one, has been centered around reigning in the costs for a lower level class so more people can have fun.
Sorry to go off topic, but my question is: Just what is the cost of getting into this hobby for the new person? Cheap (or inexpensive) is a relative term and is the amount of discrestionary money one has to spent for any sport/hobby. Some have more than others. Thats not good or bad, its just the way it is.

If you enjoy this hobby, then get the equipment you can afford and get to the track and, as is constantly mentioned, practice. Because, no matter what class you race in, its the only way your going to get better.
Do the best you can with the equipment you have.

This is just my opinion, yours may differ.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There is a reoccuing question I keep hearing from some mod drivers here in this thread, and it goes something like this:

"So, why not just run a mod motor, that way you can go however fast you want! You dont NEED to tinker with the latest software or the best battery on the shelf".

And here is my answer... coming from a guy who likes to run stock (for now)

1.) us stock drivers DO want to go as fast as we can
2.) but we want to do it against drivers of our own skill level

I can't speak for everybody, but I consider myself a "good" driver. I am no pro, no elite, no "Amain at the snowbirds" kind of driver... im an average, semi-experienced, middle of the pack kind of guy. Now, down the road, years to come, i WILL run mod, but not because I will THEN want to run faster, but because my skill level will match the drivers running there.

At my local track right now, if I tossed in a mod motor and ran that class, I would be up against guys like Brett and Kody (you know who you are, damn you!). I can see the results now... Brett & Kody -26 laps. Brandon 19-laps.

Let me say it another way. If there were an "Open Sportsman" class, I would be ALL OVER IT IN A HEARTBEAT. Only because only being in the sport for a little while, I don't want to run against guys that have been doing it for 20 years, who can put down 25% more laps then I can. It wouldn't feel like a race to me, it would feel like I was practicing, while the fast guys were racing.

So in summary, I think it has MORE to do with running with guys my own level, then what speed motor I want to run in the car. So, if an "Open Sportsman" class were implemented for less experienced drivers, I would be all over it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

What would your thoughts be if there were new guys showing up to the track who didn't have the amount of experience you had, but were able to put you down that many laps?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by UN4RACING

Be fast racer. Race mod.

I can't understand it either, but Clavin does...

I with you and won't come back till it gets fixed....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.