Car Number Position Name Laps Time
Jilles Groskamp 26 5:06.07
Touring 13.5 Rubber A Main
Jason Schreffler 26 5:08.14
Touring 17.5 Rubber A Main
Brad Johnson 25 5:08.74

Fast laps for Mod and Stock are less than 1 sec apart, and its not exactly a small track, whats the point of even splitting classes like that anymore might as well have everyone run 13.5 and have 1 class

I keep hearing about how close stock is and even keep hearing guys brag how their 13.5 times are faster than some mod guys but they don't want to race it in mod? I think moving everything faster than 17.5 to mod would give everyone choices in motors... Asking everyone to move to stock will force everyone to keep up with technology. I bought an LRP spx right befor xmas only to find out Tekin is the speedo to have... yikes.....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I guess my main complaint is the lac of beginner classes,me and my sons ran at Novak this year and they do have a sportsman class for them to run in which was great,i ran 17.5 qualied 2nd in the a main and if not mistaken think i was the only non sponsored driver in the a main,so is 17.5 stock?or should there be a 21.5 class for people to start,i think even for people to get in 17.5 with the new speedos is too fast and will scare new people from running onroad,there needs to be more of a seperation of speed and ability,especailly for sportsman to start or it will be hard for onroad to grow again.At first i was going to go the birds and take my sons but there is no sportsman class,just my .02.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I'd like to know who we are trying to help here. We keep saying that the beginners want us to move up, but where are they? We have a local beginner that walked into the track a month ago carrying his radio and RTR. In his eyes, his car was "stock". Brushed speedo, 15t POS motor and tires harder than the ones on my real car. I gave him a set of tires so he could bounce off the walls with more grip. Same day he bought a Losi brushless system for his car to keep up with the fast guys. 2 weeks ago he bought a Tekin system and complained about the store clerk that sold him the POS Losi system. So are we trying to get rid of the competion, keep it cheap or just make someone feel better about themselves? BTW, the new guy is already planning his trip to the ROAR onroad nationals in March. I guess the price and competition really discouraged him from continuing.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I am in the process of building up a touring car to race Stock 17.5. I'd race Mod but no one races it at my local track.

Here's what I've spent (prices not including tax) all bought locally:

Tamiya 416X - $520
TP 5200 50C - $119
Futaba 9551 - $80
M11x Rx - $119
LRP SXX SS - Prepaid - $220
LRP StockSpec X-12 17.5 - Prepaid - $80
AMB Transponder - bought used - $75
Jaco Blues - $30
Protoform body - $25

Total - $1268 - not including tax, Tx and charger and whatever misc stuff I missed. I guess you gotta pay to play.

I still need to buy weight, an extra lipo, paint, backup parts and optional parts so when I'm all done I'm thinking I'll have spent close to $1500 to $1600 including tax and then there are maintenance costs. Now cost could be killing rc racing just a little bit. You think?

Aside from the initial start-up costs, I think MFR's need to stop sponsoring Stock racers and focus on sponsoring Super Stock and Mod racers ONLY and I think ROAR is trying to do this by changing the Stock class rules regarding sponsorship. This move will make the experienced Stock racers move up to SS or Mod to get the MFR sponsorships and leaving the Stock class to beginners and unsponsored racers. Just my $.02.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Why not get a tc4 or Cyclone and save a little? Our fast guy drives a TC4 and beats us by laps with it. If you look at the video I posted earlier, he is the orange and white car.

How come more people don't run the T2R (249) or Ofna JL10 (100)?
My D8 is 289 vs my TC5 goes for 350. Why do TC cost so much?

Originally Posted by Apex
I am in the process of building up a touring car to race Stock 17.5. I'd race Mod but no one races it at my local track.

Here's what I've spent (prices not including tax) all bought locally:

Tamiya 416X - $520
TP 5200 50C - $119
Futaba 9551 - $80
M11x Rx - $119
LRP SXX SS - Prepaid - $220
LRP StockSpec X-12 17.5 - Prepaid - $80
AMB Transponder - bought used - $75
Jaco Blues - $30
Protoform body - $25

Total - $1268 - not including tax, Tx and charger and whatever misc stuff I missed. I guess you gotta pay to play.

I still need to buy weight, an extra lipo, paint, backup parts and optional parts so when I'm all done I'm thinking I'll have spent close to $1500 to $1600 including tax and then there are maintenance costs. Now cost could be killing rc racing just a little bit. You think?

Aside from the initial start-up costs, I think MFR's need to stop sponsoring Stock racers and focus on sponsoring Super Stock and Mod racers ONLY and I think ROAR is trying to do this by changing the Stock class rules regarding sponsorship. This move will make the experienced Stock racers move up to SS or Mod to get the MFR sponsorships and leaving the Stock class to beginners and unsponsored racers. Just my $.02.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have heard 2 theories lets see which one you guys and gals like better. First one is to let people learn with the fast guys and work your way to the A main. The second is to have a sportsman or novice class. Both have pros and cons. Tell me what you think.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

I think if the newbies are courteous and know how to give way to the fast guys, let them run together. I'm new to on-road and run in a 13.5 class. At our last comp there were guys that had 2 laps on me at the end of the race (about 13 laps, biiiig track).
I'd give them the line, then follow them as best I could. By the end of the weekend I had picked up a whole lap, and a lot of that was learning the fast lines they were taking.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Alls I gotta say is $1600 better bring home that bowling trophy
Old 02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaredevilD
I have heard 2 theories lets see which one you guys and gals like better. First one is to let people learn with the fast guys and work your way to the A main. The second is to have a sportsman or novice class. Both have pros and cons. Tell me what you think.
Work your way to the A.

When I started RC racing..17 years ago.. there was nothing but 12th scale on carpet. When I watched my first race, I was hooked. It took a few years, but me and my Corally SP12 got better and better. After a few years, I was hanging with the A-main guys..and winning...

Some people will jump in...most will give up...some will stick with it and realize that it's a great hobby to be a part of and it's a lot of fun.

And...$1500 for an RC car....yep...that's what it costs. However, consider the fact it cost me $23K for my fishing boat, less the rods and tackle in it...

I love both, I can do well in RC anywhere I go to prove that.. (here is my A-main 17.5 Rubber TC run at MSI in Roseville MI, I'm Red/White, finish 3rd)
Fishing...not so good...but will give up on it..never (fun boating). I have lots of fun doing both. Get off your a$$, stop playing video games and get out there..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by ddesros2; 02-01-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaredevilD
I think that turnout has a lot to do with it. If your local track has 30+ cars in a class, then maybe it should be split betweek stock and 13.5 or mod. If there's only a dozen or so racers, then talent (and re-sorts) will still separate the A and B main drivers so they get to run with someone their own skill level regardless of technology. It seems that everyone has more fun if there's more cars to run against in any class.
At major races where high attendance is assured, definitely class splits are in order. That's my opinion...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revo61
Why not get a tc4 or Cyclone and save a little? Our fast guy drives a TC4 and beats us by laps with it. If you look at the video I posted earlier, he is the orange and white car.

How come more people don't run the T2R (249) or Ofna JL10 (100)?
My D8 is 289 vs my TC5 goes for 350. Why do TC cost so much?
I believe the reason is perception. Many racers feel they need the top of the line chassis to compete. Those who have been "around the track" a few times know better. Take an old TC3 and a current high end chassis (Xray, Tamiya, whatever) and take two drivers a novice/sportsman racer and a sponsored pro. Give the pro the TC3 and the novice/sportsman the Xray...who will be faster? I think most of us know the anwer to that one. Unfortunately to the new racer this may not be clear. They spend the afore noted $1600 and start racing...they get beat by laps, not seconds...must be the batteries, or motor or esc or whatever. They keep throwing money at the car until they run out and eventually go away frustrated.

It's just like golf. If it were all in the clubs, we'd all go buy whatever Tiger Woods is using and have a model for a wife who is pissed off at us...uh...never mind..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I'd like to know who we are trying to help here. We keep saying that the beginners want us to move up, but where are they? We have a local beginner that walked into the track a month ago carrying his radio and RTR. In his eyes, his car was "stock". Brushed speedo, 15t POS motor and tires harder than the ones on my real car. I gave him a set of tires so he could bounce off the walls with more grip. Same day he bought a Losi brushless system for his car to keep up with the fast guys. 2 weeks ago he bought a Tekin system and complained about the store clerk that sold him the POS Losi system. So are we trying to get rid of the competion, keep it cheap or just make someone feel better about themselves? BTW, the new guy is already planning his trip to the ROAR onroad nationals in March. I guess the price and competition really discouraged him from continuing.
Just because you have one guy that has that kind of money, does not mean that everybody does. I'm talking high school kids that may wanna be abel to think "Hey, my car is able to compete." Or people that have a Tekin a V203, but are getting beat by pros. Take the technology and the pros out of stock class.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
there is the answer to the million dollar question

make it 21.5 and mod (any motor from 13.5 and 3.5)
This is the way I see it too.....if (at club level) everyone currently running 17.5 or 13.5 went to open mod (anything 13.5 and lower) all run together....it will only take a couple qualifiers to sort out who should run with who!! If someone really can't handle the extra power....or are new.....into the 21.5/silver can class they go!!!

JMO
R
Old 02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Money can only buy so much speed, the rest is up to driving and lots of practice; lots of practice; lots of practice; did I say to practice.

With all that speed that was bought, you must have enough control to make it work. Out of control is not fast; it is just out of control.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
make it 21.5 and mod (any motor from 13.5 and 3.5)
This is the true answer. Kills so many birds at once it's cruel.

-Bigger class size

-More competition since there are more people in the classes. Instead of drivers split into 17.5 13.5 and mod, just 21.5 and mod.

-Slow guy's have one class to them selves

-Slow people have something to aspire for (Making it to mod)

-Level of racers would go up, since mod will make the drivers have to work harder to be fast. Going fast in 13.5 is SO MUCH EASYER then mod.

-If somebody feel's that they can't drive mod, then they can use a mild mod. Since most of you are so sure that mod is not that much faster, then you have NO EXCUSES!

-Pro's can be found in one class. There should be no company that endorses a 17.5 driver. I don't see Mugen, Jammin, Ofna, Kyosho, Hot Bodies sponsoring novice class drivers in nitro off road. Do you? The car should speak for its self in mod if it will be good enough in 13.5 17.5 21.5 25.5 56.5 100.5, whatever you people run And if you guys wanna make it simple, "Slow" and "Fast" make simple class names.

I don't care how many times I hit the wall with my mod. Ive raced different forms of RC for way to long to try to race 17.5. Slow and embarrassing. I was delighted to see a PM from a racer at my local carpet track wanted to run mod tuesday night. I'm excited. Now my new motor order better show up (Don't disappoint me USPS)

Last edited by Owen RaCing; 02-01-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.