Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie

That's exactly what the rule is trying to help stop...
so lets examine this...are the experianced 17.5 guys either selfish cause they think they can get over on the new guys? or scared to face the sponsored guys who run 13.5 and mod? or cheap and not want to buy another motor? LOL

(yes, the last one was a joke!!) LOL

or has 17.5 with all the new technology just gotten so fast till its like running a mod motor?

if the latter is the case, then maybe a 21.5 class for beginners is the best option...
Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like the idea, it may not effect racing at a local level unless they follow ROAR rules. But for those of us who hit the big races once or twice a year, we wouldn't have to worry about racing against some of the better sponsored drivers.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
so lets examine this...are the experianced 17.5 guys either selfish cause they think they can get over on the new guys? or scared to face the sponsored guys who run 13.5 and mod? or cheap and not want to buy another motor? LOL

(yes, the last one was a joke!!) LOL

or has 17.5 with all the new technology just gotten so fast till its like running a mod motor?

if the latter is the case, then maybe a 21.5 class for beginners is the best option...
Both!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

21.5 would work only if coupled with a nonadvance timing speedo.

Spec the speedo first and then decide which motor to run.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simple question, do you put rules in place for the driver or the car?
Take s sponsored driver and some one like me. Same Equipment and stock motor, he wins hands down. Give him a silver can and race again.. I'll bet he wins most of the time. Give him a stock motor and me a 10.5, race again.. he wins most of time... Why?

Is it the equipment or the driver skill? So what should be the deciding factor for what class a racer should be in or not in?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

BTW the most recent thread about this...
http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...ml#post6555185
Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

If the subject is Large races and the fast guys running 17.5, then when you go to a Big Race expect to race the Best There Is.

If this is on a local level , then there may not be enough support to split classes or make a new one.

I may look at this different. If I go to a big race , I look to race the best it has to offer, I may never win but I enjoy this sport win or lose.

I think the 21.5 would be a good starting point for sportsman or novice.Maybe even a price cap for the cars used in such class.

The over all price to get into this hobby is what is turning people away not the competition.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so why are all the experianced racers that run 17.5 not running 13.5? I dont understand? if your not a beginner, then step up to the next level...

look can someone just answer this...if you have been in the hobby for years and have a great deal of set up knowledge and driving skill, THEN WHY STAY IN 17.5? why not tackle the challege of 13.5??
the "challege" with 17.5 is who can get thier car to perform the best and hang on to it.

what is the different 'challege' with 13.5

in theory its a good thought, but like I've said before, there are a ton of drivers out there that have never been to a regional or national are unsponsored and can just haul ass just like the local sponsored guys, the 'new blood' is still going to get thier ass handed to him.

if you want this class, call it novice, ain't nobodys ego going to let them sign up for novice that ain't a real novice, hell.. most true novices won't run novice

did anyone really READ this paragraph. Unless its a misprint, what exactly is suppose to happen when EPIC drops all of its drivers. Won't that put more drivers in the UNSPONSORED pool.

Team Epic is supporting this decision one hundred percent. We will share information to ROAR for all our level team drivers with respect to any R.O.A.R. entry list for any R.O.A.R. event. Any driver that is sponsored by us will immediately be dropped from our racing program and I truly hope that my fellow manufacturers will follow suit and allow ROAR to provide us with this class which will surely help our long term goals as an industry!

It must be a misprint,

just me and my thoughts
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

honestly...i think it should be 21.5 with a non-timing advance ESC...the beginners dont need to spend the extra money anyway...so the guys running 17.5 cant argue about using a Tekin, Black Diamond, Speed Passion or Novak that ROAR makes legal for the class...let 17.5 use whatever ESC, timing advance, turbo boost, etc that the driver chooses...but let 21.5 be pure...

all the beginner has to do is buy a car, a 21.5 motor, and the approved speedo...this is simple....
and for all you military guys, "too easy!!"
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

At our track there is no 17.5, 1/12 scale and WGT is all 13.5 so even our novices are running faster than most guys.

I have never run 17.5 so I can't comment on that, but 13.5 seems pretty fast and our guys at the track can handle it, we got used to faster speeds. 17.5 at our track would be like running a tamiya sliver can.

I support this new rules that ROAR and the other companies are putting together, local track racing is going to be different and not reflect what is going on at roar events, so I don't think we should get all puckered up right now. Not to many local tracks have team drivers and they help alot at local levels. You can't stop technology, and the esc debate is getting old we all want to go fast and I don't think the esc is the problem, TAKE AWAY TRACTION! That would help alot I just want to see how this pans out.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default the real problem

The real problem is not 17.5, it is the variable timing + boost speed controls. This is the same as saying that a stock motor with 3-cell lipo will be too fast -> yes it will, but not because it is 17.5, but because you are running 11.1 volts.

If you truly want to slow the classes down, mandate that the stock class at sanctioned races cannot use timing advance or boost. How do you enforce this, very simple -> require esc manufacturers to have a basic mode in their esc without advance or boost, and have that basic mode give a specific series of lights/beeps whatever. You can also allow certain esc that don't have timing or boost.

Problem solved.

And by the way, tekin saying that 17.5 has gotten too fast, when it is their software that has made it too fast, is like tobacco companies telling you that smoking is bad for you.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigTrucks
The over all price to get into this hobby is what is turning people away not the competition.
It's both the price and the competition. To be competitive drivers believe that it is necessary to spend more money. It's quite the vicious cycle.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billjacobs
And by the way, tekin saying that 17.5 has gotten too fast, when it is their software that has made it too fast, is like tobacco companies telling you that smoking is bad for you.
LRP started it, and Tekin just improved on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

so why are all the experianced racers that run 17.5 not running 13.5? I dont understand? if your not a beginner, then step up to the next level...

look can someone just answer this...if you have been in the hobby for years and have a great deal of set up knowledge and driving skill, THEN WHY STAY IN 17.5? why not tackle the challege of 13.5??
Does the term sand bagging ring a bell? Because those people rather win with an edge rather lose to competition.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Suspended

We are having this same discussion at our track. Limit the software or motor down? Some of our sponsored guys want to run the class because it is fun, less maintenance, and allows them to help the newer people. Big decisions and no real answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.