Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its a shame about Hesperia. We talked to the owners from time to time. Last time we talked they said they weren't getting enough entries to cover the overheads. It that was finally did them in?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It's all about the overhead.. The price for commercial property in So Cal. is insane,It's allmost impossible for an RC track to make ends meet..San Diego..feel for you guys.I'm lucky where I'm at(well at least for the prices on commercial property..everything else stinks here.. )I'm still looking for a good stock rubber tire carpet set up..
Old 07-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Adrian- I think it was more the fact that, according to Scott, they were only able to get 5 locals from Hesperia to frequent the track. The local support just wasn't there. No track can depend on racers coming from 1-4 hours away and stay open. Because they didn't have the local support, they didn't have the sales in the shop. The location is tough. Hesperia is a growing town but it's out in the middle of the desert halfway to Vegas from San Diego. If they were 50 miles farther south in Riverside, support wouldn't be a problem. Then they've got to deal with land prices. Kind of a catch 22. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to the race tomorrow (Bad case of bronchitis right now )
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxkat
It's all about the overhead.. The price for commercial property in So Cal. is insane,It's allmost impossible for an RC track to make ends meet..San Diego..feel for you guys.I'm lucky where I'm at(well at least for the prices on commercial property..everything else stinks here.. )I'm still looking for a good stock rubber tire carpet set up..
there are plenty of set up's on www.gearchart.com
Old 07-03-2005, 04:07 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Your party broke up early eh?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Its a shame about Hesperia. We talked to the owners from time to time. Last time we talked they said they weren't getting enough entries to cover the overheads. It that was finally did them in?
That's a drag!!! ...yea it'a a bee-otch to try and cover overhead with just race entry fees ...By the time you factor in rental, utilities, amortize the track maintenance equipment (e.g. blowers, traction compound, sprayers, barrier repair, pit covers, yada, yada, yada) ...you're into it 2k+ per month ...if you charge say $15.00 per racer that 133+ race entries per month that you need to "break even", if you have an outddor track, then when you consider winter months when there is little to no racing, that minimum number required increases during the "race season" ...you almost have to have onsite sales of some sort to offset the loss, or hold a couple "big" races per year.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smile ATTENTION:

jon kerr:
hello! i'm back with my Mi2 again after months of using the JRXS... and i need your help is there a smaller front pulley for the Mi2 to give it an overdrive? would you know the part number? i'm trying to find a way to get more initial turn-in traction with the spool set-up. i already added a 1.5mm washer to get more anti-squat, took out both front & rear spacer(carbon) to lower it. will adding anti-dive or kick-up improve more on this? thanks very much! more power!

Carlo D.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

One thing Donny and I have been looking for for a while now was a pulley we could put in the front of the car that's just one tooth smaller. He finally found one and will be testing it today. I'll find out from him how it worked. He'll probably also post it up here. When I ran a Losi (XXXS) before and ran the over drive option that they have on that car, it always gave me more steering all around but especially on turn in. Did you say you've lowered the rear roll center too by removing the riser? If so you'll want to put that back in. Having that too low may be causing the rear to have too much grip and not flow into and through the corners. Also one thing we've been doing on the front to gain some turn in is taking the carpet tower and notching the top middle camber link up about 2mm. This will give you a flatter front camber link and should let it turn in better. You can also get about the same geometry by getting the new BMI Mi2 shock towers. These towers have slots for the camber links and upper shock mounts with notches in them for finer tuning.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mo
Your party broke up early eh?
No one went swimming last night. It was a little cooler than the night before. everyone was also getting ready for the all day party tomorrow. Last second shopping and making sure there's room for the huge water slide for the kids.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Finally I've had some success getting some turn-in on my car!

I had raised the rear roll centre by 1mm - when I lowered it back to the kit setting I found that a got noticeably MORE turn-in - the opposite of what I have generally been told or read
Old 07-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Just got back from Hesperia. Tough weekend. Very poor traction. Could not test the overdrive set-up. Track/car was too loose. I did increase turn in a little with front kick-up. That at least made the car from push-to-loose to good corner entry-to-loose. Last year my car was never like this no matter what the wind/dust effect on the track. I think it is VHT with wind blowing dust on the track. Last year they used sugar water. The factory guys that have tested thier said they liked it, so maybe its me, but I really don't think so.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

It's not just you. I didn't like it either. It sounds just like the last JBRL race we went to there.

I talked to Patrick Friday. We're planning on SoCal next Saturday. You in?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Gotta work on Sat. I'm thinking of La Mirada. Have to get a new radio by then. My is falling apart, literally. Its case is melting from the drive up yesterday. M11 time.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Bummer. Saturday's the only day next week I have free. I guess it'll be Patrick and I then. I'll let you know how it goes. Gonna drop the cash on the M11 I'll have to "borroe" it to see if I like the feel.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bender
Finally I've had some success getting some turn-in on my car!

I had raised the rear roll centre by 1mm - when I lowered it back to the kit setting I found that a got noticeably MORE turn-in - the opposite of what I have generally been told or read
By raising the rear roll center, that will usually give less rear grip. A good rule of thumb with the lower suspension mounts is lowering on either end will give that end more grip. Raising the rear to 1mm above the 2mm riser plate should have made the car pretty loose going in. I've only tried that a couple times and have always gone back to just the riser. I prefer to tune turn in with the front of the car and exit with the rear of the car. It seems to keep things a little more balanced that way. Of course there are exceptions to that depending on the circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.