Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Pics of the MI2?

Hi there;

I think it's a shame, there's no pics of the MI2 on the Schumacher site

I found some nice pics on the Balak Racing site. Is there anywhere else with good pics?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Leadfoot, yeah i have seen a few of those break, i have broken a couple my self. One thing you can do is to put some epoxy on the bottom, to create a bit of a "web". This just strengthens it up a bit. Not sure if it's a brand you have in the US, but in the UK i have used something called "Araldite" it's a 2 part epoxy. Seems to work well.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

MattW:

Thanks for confiming that at least I am only partially crazy and that part does break fairly often!

While they do distribute "Araldite" in the US, its not actually easy to find. We have something called J B Weld and they make a product specifically for plastic.

What I plan on doing is taking some other plastic and making a small reinforcement triangle or "web" that will be glued under the arm and on the shaft of the bell crank. This will act like a bridge. Then using J B Weld glue everything together and hope for the best.

Hopefully its something schumacher will address in the future.

Thanks again
Old 01-17-2005, 08:34 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've never heard of breaking the bellcranks. I would have to say that the servo saver spring is probably too tight.

Cole Trickle: I have a couple pics of my car on my website. www.mo-net.ws

HENRYJ: That's great. Let me know if you have any questions on the setup.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone in Canada using the mi2? If so is there somewhere to get them here?

thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

I had trouble breaking bell cranks. I modified a RPM TC3 bumper to fit my Mi2 and havent broken one since. Its wasnt a durability problem tho for me. My local track is made of PVC pipe and the connectors are murder. Especially when they are wrapped in rubber to cover them up. Its like a magnet for a foam tire I was ripping off arms and busting C hubs alot. I had to quit racing there it was just too expensive.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mo
Cole Trickle: I have a couple pics of my car on my website. www.mo-net.ws
Thanks. Unfortunately, the site makes my Internet Explore go chrashing...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

mo: Ok, I am willing to accept that my servo saver is too tight but there is nothing in the manual that says how much to screw it down. Do you have a measurement from the top or some rule of thumb to follow? (e.g. number of turns)

Speedie: I use the P-dub bumper and that has saved me many arms. The track I race at is pretty typical for a carpet track in the northeast. They use 2x4s that are doubled up and are held together by metal straps and decking screws. When you hit the barriers they do not move. The outside walls are concrete mason blocks. In the 10 car 19-turn main this past Sunday none of the cars finished the main because every single car had broken before the 5 min time was up. Of the three tracks I have access to, they are all the same just a little smaller or larger.

is the BRP TC3 bumper 190mm? I can give that a shot and see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-17-2005, 11:39 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I set mine so that if I hold the front wheels and turn the steering wheel, it will be able to at least move the servo saver a little bit. I believe I am threaded down about 2mm from the top. I'll have to check that tonight though.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Leadfoot - quite frankly that left hand bellcrank piece is crap, the cross sectional area is miniscule they should not have that relief in there it makes it soooo weak. I too broke quite a few, even on quite light hits, what i did was take the servo saver apart, clean everything, and coat the moving surfaces with some moly grease, and leave the spring quite loose, and i have not broken one since.

When dry the deep v groove seems to lock up. and the servo saver doesnt actually do anything.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

this is strange to hear, I have my spring as tight as I could get it, but have never had a problem breaking the servo saver... I'll have to keep an eye on it..
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah, I agree. Mine is about as tight as you can get it and I've yet to break one.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Bradd so your saying since you greased the post and loosened the saver spring you havent broken a bellcrank?

does it say in the instructions to grease the post? I always have, and have never broken a bellcrank.

something has to give, and if you have your saver spring cranked down, where is the energy going to be transferred to?...
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

NVisible - Talk to Mike Tapp at Hi-Performance Dist in B.C.

I run my servo saver full tight too. I run an Airtronics 94358 servo. You really dont need a servo saver with a 200in/oz servo
Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

mo: Thanks again for the reply. I will try 2mm

Besercoe: Thanks for the great information. I am going to fill in the gap with some epoxy. Then I am going to glue a reinforcement piece on the bottom side and finally use some moly on the groves

King-G: I agree, if this is the trick then something should be placed in the instructions to grease the posts. Or, the post should be improved to handle the impact

To everyone, thanks again for the replies -- while I am not the best pilot in the world and drive my share of poor lines, at least its nice to know I am not crazy and others do have this same problem. Thanks for all the suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.