Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Now are the pistons direct fit items or are there many mods need to run them...I have a bunch of them from my last car.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Jeff, you will have to sand the pistons because they're a little too thick for the Scumacher shafts. no biggie, just get some 600 wet/dry and wet them and sand them til the e-clip fits nicely.

I have a suggestion for your setup- use the 60 pistons and drill out two holes to drill #56 size. Use those with 45wt shock oil. Ralph and Shawn told me about you guys' racing surface. I think it has more traction than you realize. It seems everyone has trouble getting their cars to stop pushing on that type of surface. The asphalt at the indoor track in Houston is the same way- darn rear of the car was stuck like glue!!!! We experienced this in Orlando but on a different level. The track just would NOT let go of the rear of our cars...lol

You might start off with the same springs front/rear and a sway bar in the front. If you don't have enough steering or the car won't rotate, remove the front sway bar. If the car is loose, then go up one spring in the front. I would use the outside holes on the arms with AE reds. Go up in spring if the car is rolling over a lot and dragging the chassis. Start off with the shocks in hole 2 front and 3 rear. Move the rear out if you need just a hair more steering.

I may be off, but that is my plan for tuning when I come to race with you guys.

Here is my guestimate for your final setup:
Carpet upper deck
AE copper/copper (fr/rr)
swaybars- none/standard (fr/rr)
45wt 60/56/56 piston
shock tower holes- 2/4
rh- 5/5.5mm
droop- 2/2

DON'T use that to start with- go one step at a time. It's better to start with a conservative car that has some push and be able to finish the qualifiers than to start with an overly aggressive car that puts you in the pipe twice per lap.

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 02-23-2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That is some great info and let me know if you are ever going to make the trip!

Did want to ask one question about the info you gave...Currently I am running my shocks in the inside hole on the arm...by moving them out what do you feel or get in terms of handling? Want to learn what changes do what....I can tell you have learned the car and really like it. That snowbird event sounds like the ultimate in rc racing! maybe someday....lol

Jeff
Old 02-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff, the holes in the arm simply increase the leverage the shock/spring combination has on the arm. I believe it's easier to tune the car for low traction with the inside holes and high traction on the outside holes. I don't know the exact crossovers, but just for an example you could say an AE red with 45wt oil on the outside hole would equal something like an AE purple with 65wt oil in the inside hole. Now, obviously there is a much deeper level of understanding on this subject, but for now you have something to build on.

I doubt my example was corect in the real world, but you get the idea.

Now, how about an application example for tuning:
1) When preparing my car for carpet, I automatically use the outside holes. But say....
2) I'm running AE red/gold 45wt 2 hole piston inside hole on arm at Reflex R/C in Houston for the first time. My car is pushing so I go to gold/gold. The car starts to feel more balanced, but it's rolling way too deep and fast so I know I need more spring and thicker shock oil. So I say hmm, maybe I'll just move the shock out and see how close I am then- it's a lot easier to move 4 balls than rebuild 4 shocks. Of course, with my luck it will still be off....
Old 02-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Way Off

HEHEHEHEH, Jason thats funny. Just have another cerveza. I agree with your tuning tips to Jeff, I would much rather have a car that pushes a little than have oversteer.
Jeff you should also play with the droop settings, it will change the way the car rotates into and out of a turn, I have been experimenting with it alot my self. I have not had the oppportunity to run on asphalt or cement yet, but with gray ozite, I like 1 in the frt and 2 in the rear using the hudy gauges. This will also affect the amount of roll your car has. Play with the settings tackside because talking about it can just confuse you, and give us a major headache.
On another note, Jason I had just finished assembling the current Dirt Trix chassis, and let me tell you. I couldnt ask for a nicer drivetrain. Like butta!. I wished I had it for this past, but shipping was delayed due to the weather we had here-alot of SNOW, Paul really has out done himself with this new version. I cant wait to test it. It is nicer than the Snowbird's version, check out the website for pics www.Dirttrix.com to see whats up.. Talk to everyone soon.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Haha- funny, other than the night before Dynoman Dave moved to Indiana, I haven't had one cerveza since the 'Birds....

That chassis looks saweeet!!!!

I heard Warpspeed was thinking about a new design... anybody heard from them lately? Was it just a rumor?
Old 02-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i have a question about the way you guys are gearing. just about every single setup sheet ive seen has 95 spur. i am assuming that is 48 pitch judging from the pinion combos i am seeing. if i convert that 95 over to 64 pitch im looking at a 142!!!!! I know that cant be right. someone straighten me out...i am either really over geared or really under geared!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

95 converted is a 126 spur.

95 / 1.5 = 63.3 x 2 = 126
Old 02-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thanks i knew i had to have done some thing wrong there
Old 02-24-2003, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Jason I was just kidding, and yeah the chassis is sweet. As for Warpspeed, I really havent heard anything around here. Anyone else? All I know is that I cant wait to hit the track. We have the Team Orion sponsored race @ DC Ultra Track, RCTrack.com, I cant wait March 15-16. That will be the real test for it then. Later All.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Rob Love- What are you doing in our neighborhood? Oh no, no nno no, don't tell me you're gonna get another Mission?!?!?!? lol

Raul- Is the race at DC Track gonna be a speed test or an endurance test? J/K wit ya bro!! Good luck!! Race smart!!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Vr6Vroom- THE TRACK which is hosting the Orion Race is not "DC ULTRA TRACK" it is actually "THE TRACK" in Gaitherburg, MD...... I know I race there occasionally.... hopefully this weekend!!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Angry aaahhhhhh I am about to throw my Axis 2 against a wall

I just can't seen to get it to handle properly...I know that some of it is me but when I go out to race the ass end slides around for most of the race..I have had the good guy's set my ride height, and adjust droop and do the tweak and still nothing...I race on a tight indoor carpet track with a 65ft. straight away that you can carry speed all the way through the first corner.. I am running the same foams and pretty much the same setup as the other axis 2's out there but that doesn't seem to matter..I know there is probably not much anyone can do to help me but I just trying to maybe get a setup from someone that is different from what I have so if any of you guy's out there can remember some carpet setups from your old axis2 days please feel free to email them to me or post them
Old 02-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default WARPSPEED RACING

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Haha- funny, other than the night before Dynoman Dave moved to Indiana, I haven't had one cerveza since the 'Birds....

That chassis looks saweeet!!!!

I heard Warpspeed was thinking about a new design... anybody heard from them lately? Was it just a rumor?

Yes, WARPSPEED RACING is designing a new chassis for the
Mission, and also has the new chassis for the TC3.
Coming Soon will be the WARPSPEED 12 scale.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Default My Mistake

Impact,
Thanks for correcting me, I was just told that we are going to MD for a race and I had ASSumed it was DC, not THE TRACK, I have never been to either so I was incorrect. I cant wait, 19 turn is the big class there correct. I spoke with Arvin and Mike at the Bird's about it. They were really hyping the race up. Will you be there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.