Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i was wondering what the current "hot" tire is for mod outdoors. i am racing on a rather abrasive asphault that has track temps from 80-110. i do not know if soda or traction additives will be used on the track.

ideally i want something that will last and have good grip. the track has some cracks and imperfections in the surface (seeing how it is a parking lot during most of the year).
Old 06-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hot ticket for rubber tires on asphalt would have to be the sorex 36, with HPI green or blue inserts.

if its a little cooler, switch to the 28's, or Takeoff 27r.

as for transponder mounting, I have mine on the left hand side behind the motor, after spending a day with my team mate OASIS getting the car statically balanced L/R we found this position to be best, with around 40 grams bit of weight between the speedie and servo to help overall distribution.

My car will now balance on a pinpoint L/R and Front to Rear.

mounting up front is ok too. but we found it to be more beneficial to use the 24 grams to aid in L/R weight distribution, otherwise I have to add extra.

Had a great result in racing again yesterday, with the same setup took TQ in Mod by 5 seconds, ahead of the current championship leader!. also set FTD by just over 4 seconds, and also fastest laps in each round. the car is seriously working so good.

the finals turned sour, as he taged me on the first lap, and I hit the boards pretty hard breaking the front arm.
I finished 2nd in the 2nd final with an ill handling car, I later fond the culprit was a broken rim with a huge flat spot, looked more like a cube!...somehow I overlooked this before the 2nd final checkover

so the car still matched the winners pace, with a broken wheel!..says something for how good the car is!.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

For those interested, here is a link to our clubs homepage, the messageboard has a good schumacher thread under information about cars.

there are pics of our track and facility in the images section..

http://drive.to/tftr
Old 06-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

It was a good weekend. Learned a little more with foams on the rug. Picco greens up front and TC3 white's in the rear. DIALED! I kind of like the standard top deck a little better than the carpet top deck. Seems that the car does not lift so much. Allows for a little more flex and less diffing in the turns. I want to try 2 degree inboard toe with 1 degree at the wheel. This may provide enough rear grip, but also free it up a hair in the corners. Maybe minimal castor as well. When driving super aggressive in mod (8 dub or 9 dub) the car wants to lift. Gotta roll it a little to much. I have got this effect with all set ups thus far, but it is getting MUCH better. I am able to turn the fastest lap in the building, but it's very hard to maintain. I was running 8.2's with TC3 white and yellow and then went to the Picco set up and got down to 8.0's. Still like Assoc. #2's with 80 weight......... Nothing I have tried feels better than that combo.

Got the stock gearing figured out for outside racing. Ended up with 86/27 and 86/26 with 20 tooth pulley and 2.35 tires (foam). SUPER FAST....... Speedmind gas foams are awesome. 45 fronts and 35 rears. I ran these outside today. Jaco's feel the best on the rug........
Old 06-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

great info RB..

I have a question for you or anyone else who has had experience racing Mod on a slick suface indoors such as Basketball courts or painted concrete.

we are racing in an indoor series in starting in a months time, to be held in conjunction with a huge custom auto show called autosalon. this is gonna be a huge event, travelling the major cities on teh east coast with the final event to be held in Sydney. the first event was held in sydney and drew tons of spectators.

The track will be laid out on smooth painted concrete, fairly large open layout, with sugar water....using open motors, and foam or rubber tires.

can anyone suggest which tire to use foam / rubber on this type of surface, and which compounds have you experienced. I hoping some of the U.K guys can also post their experience with this as they run indoors on basketball courts occasionally.

?????????
Old 06-24-2002, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

I haven't ever run on an indoor painted contrete surface. We run a series on a cork running indoor track. If you think that any of that may help i can send you the set-up. The tyre for that track is controlled as Schumacher Yellow slicks.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey what final drive are you guys using (17 tooth)tors, say a 8x2 or a 9x2. I race at So Cal.

Also when is it appropriate to use the 17 tooth as opposed to the 20 tooth.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

sure Matt, I'd like to see what you are running, could you please email me at.

[email protected]

thanks G
Old 06-24-2002, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

after some discussion with BigDog, I'd like to ask what are people opinions of the 2002 compound takeoff 22/27's?..

we got ours in last week, and I ran them for the first time, the insert seems to provide even greater airgap, and is moulded to give a raised contact patch in the centre of the insert.

has anyone found a bomb insert to use with the new compounds, BigdoG has suggested I try the MH inner, which I plan to do. any others I should try, or do you all like the included inserts still.?
Old 06-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've been running the Takeoff 27 and 32 this season and some Sorex 28, 32, and 36. I seem to be getting better results with the Takeoffs this year, so far the Sorex tires have seemed prone to overheating and blistering while the Takeoffs haven't. My lap times are also consistently a bit faster on the Takeoffs while the car has been easier to drive too. I've only been running the pre-mounted 27 and 32 Takeoffs, so the included insert is what I run. So far, I haven't felt the need for anything better.

Trips
Old 06-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Trips, do you know if the pre-mounts you have been running are the newer 2002 compound with blue inners?..

we have been running the previous compound with black inserts for the past 2 years (non pre-mounted)...

do you get increased wear on the inside edge of the tire using the premounted?..(ribbing) as this was the problem with the previous black inserts, whilst they were the quickest, they didnt support the tire enough.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Gav,

Forgot to ask about your tires. Any sign of ribbing so far? I know with the old insert we would see it after just a couple of runs
Old 06-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey fellas,
just a quick post. i check in from time to time, as i'm still running a 99pro. it's just so solid. anyway. i ordered some of the newer take offs a few weeks back. i got 27's and 32's premounted, and the same unmounted. i put them on cross dish wheels, which is basically the same as the 15 spoke. i'm not too happy. huge air gap in the ones that i mounted. i got a bad ribbing problem. the tires look new except for the belt showing through just off the inside. i was a bit concerned when i mounted them, but they usually seem a little tighter when the glue dries locking them down so i went for it. after running the 27's i don't even want to try the 32's . the premounts seem better, but still not optimum. just a little fyi since it seems to be a hot topic. i'll check back in.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by King-G
Hi Trips, do you know if the pre-mounts you have been running are the newer 2002 compound with blue inners?..
Sorry, I haven't worn out a set of the pre-mounts yet so I don't know which inserts are inside. The ones I mounted up myself had the black inserts. I didn't notice much of an air gap if any, for whatever that's worth.

T
Old 06-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

seaball,
perhaps its worth trying inchup rims if they will fit, they will cause less airgap, and perhaps allow the insert to fill the tire better..?

I have used the schumacher dished rims, and now the tamiya dished zero offset 24mm for some time...bent my first tamiya on the weekend in a pretty big tag.

thanks for the reply trips, let us know how they wear...and can ya check the insert when they belt...ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.