Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eded1
I've heard that anti wear grease like Tamiya has wil work fine in the front diff.
somebody?
I wonder if something like anti-seize lube would work then, very similar but a lot cheaper.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
For the sake of information...

I packed three Spec R front gear diffs with putty and noticed the same as y'all; Stiff at first and then softer, probably a combination of moving the putty around and temperature change. I even noticed the diff softening indoors on carpet, albeit summer indoors at our track can get to 90 degrees at times after coming out of my 75* pit room. I packed three with 3 different amounts of putty, and of the three, the two stiffest diffs eventually broke after only a couple race days. The gears stripped, I assume from the increased stress of the stiffer putty. I would like to try the ofna diff locker or the bad horsie grease next.
andrew im running ofna diff locker up front, and 2k losi in the back on carpet. its dialed! im running mod. not sure what it would be like in 17.5, but not sure what your running either haha
Old 07-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I wonder if something like anti-seize lube would work then, very similar but a lot cheaper.
?, let us know please )
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi, i normally run 2.25mms of shim's in the front hingepins. the wider front setting feels to take away steering (especially corner entry) but when the car is set up right i feel it is easier to drive and carrys good corner speed.
In the rear i have always run 0 shimms in the front mount with shim's only for toein the rear mount. i have not played a ton with making the rear wider but when i have i feel like it is hard to get the rear to roll evenly with the front. wider hinge pins = less roll. from a traction standpoint it could go iether way but normally narrower will feel like that end of the car has more traction.

Thanks!
Hey Paul, The narrow and wider track thing has been inconsistent from my testing. The math says that a wider track width will increase the lateral grip because it decreases the lateral weight transfer allowing the tires to be efficient and generate more grip, but to be honest sometimes I have found a narrower track width in the rear make the car more stable and sometimes it makes the car more loose. I think this is the case because sometimes you simply need more or less roll at one end of the car to achieve the balance you want. What are you thoughts?

Cheers.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayaustin
andrew im running ofna diff locker up front, and 2k losi in the back on carpet. its dialed! im running mod. not sure what it would be like in 17.5, but not sure what your running either haha
I apprecaite the help. I will definitely try this before Vegas. I have 500k in an NT1 diff up front now and its growing on me. Hopefully the diff locker is a bit stiffer than the 500k. Thanks Austin.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul L
?, let us know please )
Maybe we have to switch to the Asso TC6 solution slipperclutch?
I do not have test someting like that but a friend drive the tc6
and it works very well with this front slipper(diff).
Because you have possibility to adjust this like a balldiff.
It look to me very usefull, special for more qualis or finals.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Gravity RC

[QUOTE=Martin Crisp;9428618]Hey Paul, The narrow and wider track thing has been inconsistent from my testing. The math says that a wider track width will increase the lateral grip because it decreases the lateral weight transfer allowing the tires to be efficient and generate more grip, but to be honest sometimes I have found a narrower track width in the rear make the car more stable and sometimes it makes the car more loose. I think this is the case because sometimes you simply need more or less roll at one end of the car to achieve the balance you want. What are you thoughts?

Hi Martin. I agree with your results, narrowing the rear with the hexs always has more rear grip for me, especially on power. narrowing the rear from the hinge pin will often be opposite, pins closer together means more weight outside of the hinge pins to roll around and take stability away.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Paul, we missed ya this weekend at TimeZone.......Good luck at Nats.

Devin
Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Congratulations Paul on your WIN at the National (Jackson , NJ)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liteweight
Congratulations Paul on your WIN at the National (Jackson , NJ)
+1
Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Gravity RC

Thanks guys, was some great racing in many classes.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Congrats on the National WIN.!.!.!

Paul, Congrats on the Big WIN...

I have a T2 009 that I run VTA with, I am getting ready to rebuild the front end and am ordering the ECS Shafts, Steering Blocks, Suspension Arms, and C-Hubs..... The C-Hubs come in 2, 4, and 6 Degree. For VTA, on Asphalt (i.e. the Asphalt Assault Series).... What degree of C-Hubs should I be running? ........ Thank You and see you at the AA on Aug 21st.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Paul,

Based on my calculations (scratch…scratch) I have concluded that my BBRC motor fan reduces (scratch…scratch) motor temperature by approximately 7.9546632% (scratch…scratch) over the course of an 8 minute run. Given that the (scratch…scratch) readings were taken with ambient temperature at 87 degrees Fahrenheit (scratch…scratch) I have calculated that I should see an average (scratch…scratch) increase in wattage output around 3 watts, over a 8 minute run, if Cleveland keeps the ballroom cooled to 72 degrees (scratch…scratch) by using this fan.

How many (scratch…scratch) tenths behind Josh will this put me?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Default 1/12th ?

Hey Paul (or Eric),

A 1/12th question for you, does one prefer to have a 1/12th body float or should it be tight to the posts? Whats your preference? Also whats your preference for body choice in 1/12th carpet?

EA your suggestion saved me a ton of work and well worth the money.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default thunder power z3r

Hey paul do you run any diffrent rotors in your motor also how do you like it is it torquey all high end or simply a good balance? Thanks Paul!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.