Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Preach on! Aren't we the charter members of the thirteen twooo fan club?
I believe so....
Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Paul, I will try them out and let you know.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Classic Paulie....Long Live Thirteen Twooo!!!

You have any plans to make some of the parking lot races that the Jinkin is puttin on this summer?
lol, Im going to try and make some. is their a schedule on line anywhere?

Originally Posted by Xpress
Preach on! Aren't we the charter members of the thirteen twooo fan club?
I think Wooski would have to be the president of that club, but you guys are founding members for sure.

Originally Posted by taz00
Thanks Paul, I will try them out and let you know.
Cool, Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
lol, Im going to try and make some. is their a schedule on line anywhere?
For sure Wooski is the Pres of that club!!!

Here is the dates for the series

2011 Race Dates:
*Best four of five finishes count for points*

5/22 The Track www.harbor-hobby.net Open @ 8 A.M Racing @ 11

6/12 Strictly R/C www.strictlyrc.net Open @ 8 A.M. Racing @ 11

7/10 Al's Hobbies www.alshobbyshop.com Open@ 8A.M Racing @ 11

7/31 The Track www.harbor-hobby.net Open @ 8A.M Racing @ 11

8/TBD Leisure Hour's Raceway www.leisurehoursraceway.com Open @ 8A.M Racing @ 11
Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Did anybody watch the Xray Challenge on LiveRC? It came down to the wire, paul and another racer were constantly going back and fourth between first and second place...on the last lap of the race Paul manages to squeak out the win of the A-Main Race #8 XRay Challenge...Nice performance By Paul and the other racers! Congratulations on the win!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Kevin K
For sure Wooski is the Pres of that club!!!

Here is the dates for the series

2011 Race Dates:
*Best four of five finishes count for points*

5/22 The Track www.harbor-hobby.net Open @ 8 A.M Racing @ 11

6/12 Strictly R/C www.strictlyrc.net Open @ 8 A.M. Racing @ 11

7/10 Al's Hobbies www.alshobbyshop.com Open@ 8A.M Racing @ 11

7/31 The Track www.harbor-hobby.net Open @ 8A.M Racing @ 11

8/TBD Leisure Hour's Raceway www.leisurehoursraceway.com Open @ 8A.M Racing @ 11
Cool, Thanks! I will make some for sure.

Originally Posted by TEXT
Did anybody watch the Xray Challenge on LiveRC? It came down to the wire, paul and another racer were constantly going back and fourth between first and second place...on the last lap of the race Paul manages to squeak out the win of the A-Main Race #8 XRay Challenge...Nice performance By Paul and the other racers! Congratulations on the win!
Thanks. Kev lead the race the whole time with a decent lead untill the last couple laps .I got a little lucky on that one to win.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TEXT
Anybody have the video?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi Paul, i had a question about fans, do you run one on both motor and speedo or just speedo, i cant tell from pictures, and also Ill be at jackson rc for the asphalt nats, ill be running a 4.5t motor and was wandering where would be a good starting point for gearing. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks. Kev lead the race the whole time with a decent lead untill the last couple laps .I got a little lucky on that one to win.
That was an awesome race to watch!

Will you post your setup please for that race?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hi. for me it is pretty simple this goes for carpet and asphalt. i almost always run the middle hole or 1 more layed in from it in the front. i always start on the middle hole and if i want the front end to roll more i will lay them in to the next hole down.

for the rear i will start on the second hole from the bottom, i almost always end up running the rear shocks all the way layed down though, with the rear shocks all the way layed down the car does lack forward traction compaired to having them stood up 1 hole but the car has more steering and more sorner speed layed all the way in. a good comprimise in the rear could be to stand the rear shocks up 1 or 2 holes then run the 2.4 spring instead of the 2.6. it is possible that you could keep the forward bite this way and still have the rear end roll for corner speed. i will try that at the next asphalt race. or if you try it let me know.

Thanks.
Hey Paul,
That's exactly how I have the rear setup now. Second from the bottom, 2.4 spring. I tried laying them down and it did seem to help free the car up in the corner, but almost too much. That shock position spring keeps great forward bite. Jackson's asphalt is still a little green and pollen is still falling. Gonna run it like this until the groove is nicely built up and then ill try laying them down again.

Thanks for the help and hope to see you at jackson before the nats.
Rui
Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE
Hi Paul, i had a question about fans, do you run one on both motor and speedo or just speedo, i cant tell from pictures, and also Ill be at jackson rc for the asphalt nats, ill be running a 4.5t motor and was wandering where would be a good starting point for gearing. Thanks for your help in advance.
Hi, i only use a speedo fan. Im pretty sure it is almost nesissary for all speedos to have a fan on them for modified these days. I would start at a 8.3 overall ratio with very mild power settings and no boost.

no problem!

Originally Posted by Tron
That was an awesome race to watch!

Will you post your setup please for that race?
Hi, Thanks. If you would like I will PM you the set up, i am not going to post it on the Xray site publicly BC i really dont think it is a good set up for people to look at. I think/hope that after the reedy race i will have a much better set up for asphalt.

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Hey Paul,
That's exactly how I have the rear setup now. Second from the bottom, 2.4 spring. I tried laying them down and it did seem to help free the car up in the corner, but almost too much. That shock position spring keeps great forward bite. Jackson's asphalt is still a little green and pollen is still falling. Gonna run it like this until the groove is nicely built up and then ill try laying them down again.

Thanks for the help and hope to see you at jackson before the nats.
Rui
Cool, let me know if you find anything cool out. Im sure ill see you at the nats! Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Hey Paul, How do you feel about Marc joining the Thunder power Team? To me it speaks volumes for the quality of the brand.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Paul, I tried most of your suggestions and the car felt better. The only thing I did not do was to take 1mms of shims out from under the front camber link above the caster block but I intend on doing it next time.
Also I switched bodies to an HPI Pikes Peak Escudo (massive amounts of down force ).
I had a 2hr endurance race this Sunday and I noticed that the car was eating up the outside of the right tires (front and rear).
The setup from the race is attached.

After the race I increased the camber to 3.0 and it felt better but I did not have enough time to check for wear or lap times. Do I keep increasing the camber till the rears wear slightly conical on the inside and the fronts flat or there is no reason to do so since the long sweeper after the straight will eat up the outside of my tires and if I try to fix this I will mess the car up for all the other corners. FWIW the car turns fine on that sweeper.

I set the camber using the Hudy setup station and I have noticed that this gives me 0,5-1,0 degrees less camber than when I check it with the quick camber gauge . I believe this is because of the slop in the suspension arms etc and the fact that when I measure with the wheels on only the inside of the tire rests on the board.

Also, what is the effect of lowering the diffs? I can understand the lower center of gravity but is there another part that it affects? I run with the diffs in the lower position as per xray's suggestion for open tracks.
Attached Thumbnails Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC-setup.png  
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Hey Paul, How do you feel about Marc joining the Thunder power Team? To me it speaks volumes for the quality of the brand.
I think its a great thing. I think that Thunderpower has had really fast and reliable batterys since the begining, it is now nice to see that top drivers such as Victor and Marc have noticed and now choose to run them.

Originally Posted by taz00
Hi Paul, I tried most of your suggestions and the car felt better. The only thing I did not do was to take 1mms of shims out from under the front camber link above the caster block but I intend on doing it next time.
Also I switched bodies to an HPI Pikes Peak Escudo (massive amounts of down force ).
I had a 2hr endurance race this Sunday and I noticed that the car was eating up the outside of the right tires (front and rear).
The setup from the race is attached.

After the race I increased the camber to 3.0 and it felt better but I did not have enough time to check for wear or lap times. Do I keep increasing the camber till the rears wear slightly conical on the inside and the fronts flat or there is no reason to do so since the long sweeper after the straight will eat up the outside of my tires and if I try to fix this I will mess the car up for all the other corners. FWIW the car turns fine on that sweeper.

I set the camber using the Hudy setup station and I have noticed that this gives me 0,5-1,0 degrees less camber than when I check it with the quick camber gauge . I believe this is because of the slop in the suspension arms etc and the fact that when I measure with the wheels on only the inside of the tire rests on the board.

Also, what is the effect of lowering the diffs? I can understand the lower center of gravity but is there another part that it affects? I run with the diffs in the lower position as per xray's suggestion for open tracks.
Tire wear is always something that is hard to reduce, especially when running long periods of time with a rubber tire. with 5 min racing sometimes you can find a sauce that will help with wear. to me the biggest thing that you can do is make sure that the car has very good steering so you will not have to drive at 100% to have fast lap times.
I would try to tune the camber to make the tire wear flat, this way you will wear the tire as a whole more and possibly get better overall wear, it will just be a matter of weather your car will still handle well like that.

the diff height does make a difference on the cars handling. from a CG standpoint yes and also BC the dog bone pin in the outdrive does carry a lot of bind under load, Raising or lowering that point of bind in comparison to the car will make a difference. I normally find that a higher diff position seems to give the car more traction but it is a feel thing as well. over the past years for rubber tire i have settled on the diff being high front and rear, sometimes with the +1mm cams as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul

I would like some set up advice for modified ,I have just made the jump from stock to mod and i am struggling to set the car up for it

the track is an outdoor track with medium grip , this is the layout here
(we drive away from you down the straight)

website here

http://www.amcaracing.nl/circuit/circuit.htm

Thanks for your help mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.