Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtraman122
With the new 1.3 software, it'll only let you update the firmware if you have 1.1/1.0.

I noticed I had to widen my dead band with 1.3, I had it at 2 previously, and it wouldn't recognize neutral correctly, it kept trying to start the motor, and what's even more strange is one of my speedos is happy at 3, but with the other I needed to go up to 3.5 for it to always actually return to neutral when my radio did. But for anyone using a bigger dead band than that you should be fine.

I think the strangest thing to me and my biggest gripe is how you lose all of your settings every time you go to calibrate your radio. I never understood why calibrating high/low/neutral should reset drag brake, timing, dead band, etc.
yea, like I said, I deleted 1.3, reloaded 1.0 and followed the directions on page 11, nothing. I'm sure it'll get sorted out.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Are you referring to the software or firmware? Because you can only load the 1.3 firmware using the 1.3 application.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I've been a fan of Novak right back to the GT7 when I started racing and I've used nothing since. The GTB was faultless and never had a wobble.

I can't help feeling the release of the Kinetic was slightly rushed. One unexplained ESC fire, lucky not to damage the rest of my car and equipment and now this weird Novalink error.

I agree that the ESC has massive potential and hopefully once the software both on the ESC and the novalink is sorted it will be as good as previous Novak kit.

Unfortunately I resent paying £200 to partake in Novak's R&D on this product
I agree. Software issues are one thing, but smoke and flames is another. I'll give it one more shot when it comes back from repair, but after that it will be time for something else. But, really.....no big deal. That thing was fast and I'm sure they will sort things out. I dropped down to my spare GTB and the Kinetic smoked it.....ok, poor choice for the description, but I would need a much hotter motor to get the same performance. I'm a little disappointed, but excited to play with it some more.

Last edited by rcannon409; 08-28-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

just got back from the Chipotle Grand Prix. Man what a long day. In a field of 20+ 17.5 drivers i was able to scrape a 3rd in the A main. some how the drivers in back of the field forgot to drive. little bit of a first turn maylay!!!
Thanks NOVAK for all the support
Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ed517
just got back from the Chipotle Grand Prix. Man what a long day. In a field of 20+ 17.5 drivers i was able to scrape a 3rd in the A main. some how the drivers in back of the field forgot to drive. little bit of a first turn maylay!!!
Thanks NOVAK for all the support
They just forgot how to turn....LOL Man I never felt so used and abused. Good run bro. My next time out will be with you know what
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

so I says to myself, self, whats say we read ALL the directions and just mess around till we get the software to install and work.

so i read all the install directions for windows 7, one thing I hadn't been doing was actually right clicking and running the drivers and setup as admin, it would ask me for permission so i figured it was good enough, well installed as per the directions and it worked, I now have version 1.3 installed on windows 7 running on a 64 bit system. however i had issues getting the update firmware to work, so i did the my computer/c drive/programs/novak/novalink thing, opened the firmware folder, one of the items it shows is the update firmware box, so i did a drag and drop of the rdd file (did another computer -novak link thing so I had two windows open) and it works, all of it,

so fired up the netbook with XP deleted everything, and started over the a 1.3 full version download, after un ziping I installed it, just a FYI i tried to install it as admin and it would not work so I just did it the 'normal' way. the program loaded just fine. but the update would not work, so I did the ole, computer - novalink thing, deleted the rdd file, went back to the novak site, downloaded the 1.3 firmware rdd file, unzipped it, opened it, and did a drag and drop into the novalink folder (after doing another computer - novalink) (while downloading I closed all programs) plugged in the novalink, started the novalink program from the desktop, opened new profile, plugged in the esc, got the connected sign, hit update firmware, and my computer blew up, not really just seeing if you were paying attention, hit update firmware, pop up window said unplug esc, I hit ok, unplugged esc, hit update again, it loaded, plugged the esc in and ba da bing, somethings happening, with a your esc has been updated at the end.

side note, if you try to update the firmware again, it won't work, BUT if you unhook everything, restart the novalink program it will reflash it again,

hope there weren't to many misspelled words in all that and it made some kinda sense and it helps someone out.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

......I think I got all of that.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayBee
......I think I got all of that.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just dropped a kinetic and a 13.5 ballistic in my SC10. Havn't had a chance to get to the track yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for settings?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

any suggestions for a start point for a 4.5?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
any suggestions for a start point for a 4.5?
The sound of the horn?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
The sound of the horn?

OK, let me rephrase. Does anyone have a base line setup for a 4.5 in a TC for a carpet track?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Well done

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Here is the info on "bug fixes" that I mentioned above:

Firmware Update Download

NovaLink Update Download

Our information clearly states that the NovaLink is compatible (only) with Windows® XP™ and Vista™ computer-operating platforms. We are investigating other platforms, but at this time we are unable to help, or troubleshoot, any other systems.
Works well guys..a few more "little" bugs,,but major improvement..
Ran ver 1.1 at a major Aus event this weekend..still getting my head around it, but boy does it work nice..
10.5 class..other motors at same level..75-80deg c..Mine Kinetic/ballistic combo didnt go over 60 motor/50 esc..
It was fast and smooth with the best brakes..( Helped a guy set his with novalink..He was all smiles all weekend, He said that the other brands had brakes, Ive been telling them that these are better. Its good to be proven correct)..
Pitty I didnt have the latest firmware/software..A higher rpm delay would have been nice (wouldnt go over 244ms version 1.1)..came on hard..over shot a few crucial corners..( dont like throttle curves, prefer to drive linier with my finger, more consistant, old 1/12 driver that I am)
Other than that, drove it hard, gave it hell...love it
Well done
Novak is back....

Mike
Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

good stuff Mike! glad to hear thing are goin good with the Kinetic. its just a matter of time but the boys at Novak are workn hard to get this all together for us racers.every week its gettin better and better....
Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Well, hats of to Novak. That's some response time. The software on PC and ESC have been updated and the fixes have certainly solved my problem. The ESC can now be successfully programmed via Novalink

The next track day will be telling. I'm looking forward to some track records as even at 30 degrees timing and no boost I was on for my PB.

Thanks to all at Novak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.